DotM Cyberverse Crowbar

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Anguirus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is my first review ever so...bear with me!

Found Crowbar along with its wavemates in a TRU.

[​IMG]

They were BOGO 1/2 off, but I only wanted Crowbar, so I took both. Sorry, fellow Austin Crowbar fans! Left a couple Leadfoots though (Leadfeet?)

SO...in the package, he looks like this:

[​IMG]

However, his legs are folded in, and expand to twice that length.

[​IMG]

The effect reminds one a bit of one of the Deluxe Lockdowns, though the effect is not that extreme. He's tall for a Legion, but not enormously so.

Proportions are very pleasing. He has ball-joint shoulders and hips, and hinge knees and feet (the latter due to transformation). Uncharacteristically, he also has a 360 degree waist swivel (used in transformation, see below). So...Legend/Legion level articulation, if not a little better. His headsculpt is fantastic. Definitely a Dread, right down to sculpted and painted dreadlocks. Four red eyes, and his mouth is sculpted in a howl.

[​IMG]

The details on the chest and arms are very pleasing and movie-like.

His transformation is simple, but as far as I know unique. His arms, unlike Barricade, form not the sides of the car, but the top of the car. The side is formed from the chest and the legs. Another quirk: his chest is from the front of the car, as usual, but upside-down. Notice how his wheels stick up. The waist turns 360 degrees as a result so that the wheels line up in car mode!

One step is tricky. The arms must be pegged into the legs for car mode. It's very tight, and will require some pressure. Then when you go back to robot mode, you MUST perform this step first, and it will require a fair bit of force and wriggling.

[​IMG]

That's me working to separate the leg from the arm. Note that the arms have already detached from each other. If you pull on that instead of detaching the legs from the arms first, the hip joints will pop right off. Fortunately they are ball joints.

It will look like this when you do it right:

[​IMG]

He's the spiritual successor to Barricade, so let's compare:

[​IMG]

Keep in mind, Barricade is a damn good Legend by any standard, good enough to be re-used as a main-line Legion this year. But Crowbar beats the pants off him. Legs are much better and more posable, there's much more sculpted detail, the arms look more natural and less like blocks of car.

Sadly, Crowbar also beats the bloody pants off of Crankcase:

[​IMG]

Bigger, meaner, even more detailed, and better dreads!

Like all Legions, he can hold accessories:

[​IMG]

He can only hold stuff in his left hand...how sinister. ;) 

Sadly, the scale is a bit off when you pose him with the GOOD Crankcase. :p 

[​IMG]

Back to vehicle mode. He's a very cool looking, if generic, police car. Slightly smaller than the Movie 1 and RotF Legends, and wider and shorter than Crankcase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The paint apps for his front and mirror lights are very well-chosen and make him stand out. In fact the paint apps are very nice overall, and while it's a shame they couldn't do something with the flat black windows, it is fine all around.

In summary, if you're going to troop-build one Dread, make it this guy!

[​IMG]

I just hope we see a police car Dread in the movie at some point. In the novel, Crowbar is a Suburban like Crankcase, so it's hard to say whether they are even going to be different character models. But if this is at all based on a model from the film, I want to see it! Love the idea of Dreads being like the G1 Clones, with minor differences in their robot modes, but different vehicle modes based on what they scanned.

2. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Everyone who likes Legends, or even anyone who wants to start liking them, needs to get this toy. Crowbar is incredible for what he is (I mean, how often do you see a Legend w/ a waist swivel AND thigh swivels!), and is an absolute blast to transform. My only issue with him is that the shoulders don't move outward due to the design, so the arms end up crashing into the legs.

Overall, I can't recommend this guy enough.

3. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Great review. :D 

As for Crowbar, he looks excellent, especially for a Legion. Here's hoping he gets a Deluxe at some point.

4. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice! I regret passing on him.

5. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh wow, I missed the thigh swivel! Even nicer, as far as posability is concerned. Would have rather seen elbows, but that's just above and beyond for the pricepoint.

6. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    got this guy yesterday. Absolutely adore him. Alt mode looks good, rolls smoothly and holds together tightly. Transformation is really fun and has an element I don't recall seeing on a TF before, namely the entire top section becoming the arms. Bot mode is tall, lanky and evil looking - his proportions and head give me an Evangelion vibe. Really good articulation. Elbow joints would have been great, but I can understand why they weren't included.

The only negative is now I want thigh swivels on ALL Legends/Cyberverse figures!

7. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really good review for your first! So good in fact...you sold me on this one.I seen it in the package, and didnt bother to look on the back...I had no idea the legs folded out again...very cool...and a REALLY neat lil car mode

8. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Doesn't the roof on TFTM Stockade and ROTF Gears (the SUV) become the arms in bot mode?

9. Rewind

News Credits:
    No idea, I don't have those. I've just never seen it until this one.

10. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

ah so he's the guy you can play as in multiplayer in the DOTM prequal game

i thought it was crankcase a first because of the dreads and the 2 spike shoulders

11. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, you are right. So it's not unprecedented, but certainly is uncommon. It's a pretty quirky transformation, especially for a Legion. In fact, the only reason it's not good and complex enough to be a Deluxe IMO are the blocky arms.

EDIT: Don't have any pics and I doubt it's deliberate, but there is a surprisingly effective alternate transformation on this guy. Simply flip the front of the car over his head so it's across his upper back, rather than his chest. There is a repetitive sculpted pattern all the way up his midsection, and it creates the illusion of much longer dreadlocks, because you see them from the front as if they are dangling down and flanking the body.

I don't think it looks as good as the real robot mode, but if you want to differentiate your troops it might add some value. It holds so securely that I thought at first it actually locked in place in that configuration. But, it makes him look quite skinny and gives him a huge backpack.

12. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

and ROTF jolt

13. Rewind

News Credits:
    I like it! If they ever release this mold in a different color/deco I'll get it and display each in a different configuration.

14. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I just got home last night from a business trip and didn't get a chance to post about him yet.

I grabbed Crowbar while I was in Maine, an amazing little Legion figure, love his transformation and his vehicle mode.

15. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

I think I actually like this mode better. It adds more arm mobility, and it has a neat, creepy Evangelion-esque vibe.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review and the pictures! He looks good in bot mode and I intend to pick him up the next time I'm out shopping.

17. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    i much prefer crowbar to legion cranckcase..... crowbar just seems better in every way.

18. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's about time someone featured Crowbar. Yeah, I love him!
    [​IMG]

19. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    I did something else to improve the range of articulation in the shoulder. I basically took out my dremel and the smallest cutting bit and I carved away at the outer edge of the cup. I don't think words can really explain it properly, but I've just now taken pics of it. You can see that Crowbar can now hold his arms out farther from his body properly transformed, and the mod does nothing to impact the alt mode at all.

Don't take my word for it...look at the photos instead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I really like this guy, I do wish we were getting deluxe size.