DOTM Cyberverse Action Set Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by payres, May 30, 2011.

1. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For Cyberverse Commander Megatron see here.

Dark of the Moon Cyberverse Action Set Megatron

Like Optimus Prime, the Action Set Megatron uses the Cyberverse Commander Megatron as it's base. He's lost the tiny tanker barrel off the back of the truck that the Commander could use as a hand weapon, but that looked a bit odd in vehicle mode anyway. There's been a couple of plastic colour swaps on this new toy: Head, Chest and lower arms, which were all previously the same sandy brown as the rest of the vehicle are now a silvery grey. The head has a new paint operation, a blue patch down the left side which highlights the battle damage which I'd completely missed on the Commander toy.

The action set gives Megatron a full size trailer similar to the Voyager version of the figure. The trailer fits over the 3mm bar on Megatron's flatbed. I've tried: it won't hitch to either Prime or Ironhide but there's no problem attaching it to the previous Commander Megatron. The trailer is covered in weapons attachment points: each side has two 3mm peg holes for Cyberverse weapons plus there's a bank of four 3mm holes towards the rear of the trailer pointing up. There's two short 3mm bars pointing out the back of the trailer, one more on each side about halfway down plus another on the top which is convenient for mounting Commander Megatron's weapon on. There's a 5mm peg sticking up from the top of the trailer and as with Prime ii would have been nice if that could have been a Minicon peg with a hole down the middle.

To transform to base mode remove Megatron and any extra weapons. Fold back the bar with the c-clip on it that's used to attach the trailer to Megatron. This forms the rear supporting legs for the base. Split the the rear of the vehicle in two down the middle and fold the sides of the vehicle out. The rear of the vehicle is now the front of the base. Rotate each side panel to form a wall. Fold the moulded cannons up onto the wall and swing round so they face forward. Fold the trailer up & back to form the gun.

Megatron's base mode is a long low wall with a larger structure in the middle supporting a missile launcher which Megatron can hold. There's a strut connecting the missile launcher to the base which can't stay upright under it's own weight but is easily supported when used with a figure. There's a 3mm bar at the back of the launcher to add extra weapons onto. The missile launcher is removable: the strut has a c-clip at the top while the launcher has a bar embedded in it. This allows it to be used as a hand weapons or attached, using the 5mm peg on it's underside, to the front of the central base section where there's a 5mm peg hole or to other toys. The base section has two of the 3mm peg holes on it, one on either side, while the other two are each half way along the wall sections. On the top of each section of the wall is a small rear facing 3mm bar that allows you to add other c-clip weapons to the base: it's orientation is perfect for the Commander Megatron cannon. The bank of four 3mm holes at the rear of the trailer has been split into two pairs with each pair forming the barrels of a dual cannon which is mounted at each end of the wall on a ball joint. The inner side of the cannon each has a small 3mm bar for more extra weapons mounting which the outer edge had either the bar or the clip which allows Megatron's base to connect to other Cyberverse base toys. Finally the walls are hinged where they meet the central base unit allowing you to turn the straight wall into a corner with the central base at the point. I mentioned before that the strut for the missile launcher is floppy: both the base of the strut and the rear support are very loosely attached to the base section. Meanwhile the c-clip at the top of the missile launcher is as solid as a rock - when trying to detach the missile launcher it's more likely the strut will detach at it's base that the c-clip will detach at the top. Perhaps attaching the strut and support by a c-clip might have been a better idea than relying on frankly tiny pegs and friction?

Megatron's trailer has a third mode. Remove any added weapons from the base mode and straighten the walls out to the sides. Fold each wall back 90 degrees to form a wing. Fold the moulded launchers onto the tops of the wings. Fold the missile launcher back and down so it sits with it's barrels pointing forward.

The jet mode isn't the worst Transformers jet I've ever seen. You look at it and you could conceive of it flying. The jet mode, while being a mode in it's own right, also exists as an add on for the commander toy in each mode. The base of the hinges for the wings clips round the side windows of Megatron's cab which are part of the robot's back. In vehicle mode you get an odd looking "truck with jet on it" in the version in the instruction, but with the rear landing strut folded in you can also attach the base to the trailer hitch to form an alternate jet mode. Using the hinge clips the wing section attaches to the robot either way up with Megatron's large feet providing a stable base.

The trailer is a decent add on much better than the mini tanker with the Commander. The base mode isn't as stable or substantial as Bumblebee's but it's still fun. The winged jet pack is another nice fun add on with some versatility. Well worth a look.

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Nice review.

This is the only other cyberverse figure I really want, just a cool way to get a complete Megatron vehicle mode at a decent little size.

3. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    This version of Megatron is on my long list of Cyberverse buys.

I got the Commander version, and his truck mode is awesome, just can't help but laugh at his tiny fuel cannister.

Thanks for posting up this review though.

4. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm loving the Cyuberverse sets so far....

5. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually a truck that looked JUST LIKE cyberverse megatron commanders truck mode, with the small tank on back, used to deliver fuel oil to my old house when I was younger, so NO, its actually very realistic.

So...wait...your saying this has like FIVE modes?

1-truck n trailer
    2-Base
    3-trailer tunrs to jet
    4-jet mounts on trailer for flying truck of death
    5-wing suit for megs

I got that right?

6. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    effectively, depending how you attach the commander to the Jet mode.

7. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can he really connect to the tanker end or is it just resting there?

9. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got mine last night from HTS.
    I really want to love this guy but mine came with a QC issue.
    The factory installed 2 passenger side hinges on the "trailer wings".
    So the one on the driver's side is upside down, and this is not a symetrical piece of plastic. So, in trailer mode, the little wing tab that slots into the inside of the trailer wing doesn't line up. This means I can not close my trailer all the way without the driver's side angling upwards. And once this happens it no longer tabs into the other half of the trailer.

What I will probably end up doing is pulling the pin on the hinge and flipping it over. But I'm pretty sure I won't be able to clip jetpack mode onto Megs anymore. But I'm more than willing to give that up for a trailer that closes all the way.

10. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's just resting unfortunatley

11. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    This thread needs some more pics:
    Bot mode
    [​IMG]
    Truck and trailer
    [​IMG]
    Trailer detail
    [​IMG]
    Battle Base
    [​IMG]
    Turret detail - the tall slit doesn't seem to do anything, both of the fin buttons on top fire the round missile
    [​IMG]
    You can clip weapons onto the bar at the back; Megatron himself grips the two side handles
    [​IMG]
    The trailer converts into an "attack jet." A drone, perhaps?
    [​IMG]
    Due to how it clips onto Megs, the 'jet' can attach to him in truck mode
    [​IMG]
    as well as bot mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The cannons cannot face backwards like thrusters...

Compared to the "plain" version:
    [​IMG]
    Personally I prefer the "plain" version, though I'd love to mix in some of the dark brown of the trailer version (like the wheels)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My trailer version of Megatron has all sorts of QC issues: stress marks everywhere, ridiculously tight joints, transforming feels like it could break him.

12. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    How does that look wierd? Alot of Trucks still have tankers on thier bed.
    [​IMG]

I personally like the look of the folded up tanker guns on him in alt mode.

Especially on my Target Exclusive Black version :p 

[​IMG]

13. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Someone please show the Megatron action set trailer on the Target exclusive black version pretty please.