By Generation: DotM Crowbar from DotM Crankcase

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by Superquad7, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    (a VERY special "thank you" to TFW2005.COM member hthrun for helping out with the photograph descriptions and translations! What you'll find below is a photo tutorial by TFW2005.COM member pradhika indra provides a photo tutorial of modifying a DotM Crankcase figure into a Dotm Crowbar. As stated, hthrun was kind enough to provide his own insight and translations of what is going on in most of these photos due to pradhika indra communicating to us another language. For reference, the original photo tutorial with native text can be found with the link below. ~Superquad7)

"Here is a design [that shows a] way to make Dark of the Moon Crowbar from [the deluxe DotM] Crankcase with simple tools and materials. [Hopefully the] detailed tutorial pictures are sufficient to explain everything to all. I hope this is useful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A.1 - Cut off the head as shown. Just cut off the gray base from the rest of the robot. Don't remove the head form the base. The second picture shows where the actual cut occurs:

[​IMG]

A.2 - Cut the vehicle front in half with a vertical cut straight through the middle. You don't have to get all the way through yet. It's good to have the cut go up to the hood so you know where to start cutting on there later:

[​IMG]

A.3 - Clip the vehicle front off from the hood, and clip off the points where the pin was inserted. If you haven't already, you can now finish cutting through the front of the vehicle. When completed, it should look like the third picture:

[​IMG]

A.4 - Picture 1 - Now cut a straight line through the middle of the hood, cutting it in half. Picture 2 - With the hood cut in half, the pin can easily slide out. Picture 3 - Clip off the pieces that the huge claw things were connected to:

[​IMG]

A.5 - Sand the edges down nice and smooth. (I didn't do this on mine.):

[​IMG]

A.6, Picture 1 - Glue the grill pieces to the hood pieces where they touch in vehicle mode. (I did this with the toy in vehicle mode to make sure they were lined up correctly.) Picture 2 and 3 - I didn't do this because I did the head differently:

[​IMG]

A.7 - Try sliding a twist tie through the holes where the pin had connected the hood to the rest of the toy. If necessary, use a small drill bit to widen the hole so the twist tie can go through:

[​IMG]

A.8 - I don't know what those white tubes are. I just slid a twist tie through the holes without the tubes and bent the ends over as shown in the pic. I left the ends of the twist ties bent without connecting them. This makes the shoulder pads more poseable:

[​IMG]

A.9, Picture 1 - Put some super glue (or other strong adhesive) in the gap shown between the rotating gray parts and where the head used to be connected. Picture 2 - Place the ends of four zippers, with the extra cloth cut off, in the glue side-by-side. Place them so two are on each side of the middle of the toy. Put some more adhesive on top and allow it to dry. Picture 3 - Put two more zippers on top of the first four. Place each right between the outside zippers and their adjacent zippers as shown. Apply more adhesive and let dry.

[​IMG]

A.10-A.11 I didn't do, but you can refer to these photos in case you want to try it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A.12-A.13 I pretty much did, just cutting off excess corners. I did a little more shaving to mine, though. Once I was done with the head, I just glued the gray base right above and behind that gold area at the top middle of the chest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't think I'll be able to describe the rest as well....

C.1-C.3 all involve cutting and sanding away at parts so the leg can bend as shown in the last pic of C.3. C.1 shows how the leg can be disassembled by simply removing the screws, making the rest of the modding easier:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

C.4 - Cut the heel shorter so the foot can be transformer differently, as shown in the third pic, and have the heel still touching the ground when standing. I did mine a little differently, cutting it even shorter so it would be more like a toe/claw....:

[​IMG]

C.5 - Cut off the tip of the gray part that's connected to the back wheels. This will allow the wheel to swing around more for the alternate leg transformation:

[​IMG]

C.6 - Cut off the plastic shown from the other piece of the leg. This is also necessary to allow the wheel piece to rotate around more for the alternate transformation. Be sure to leave the correct screw post as it will be used to reattach this piece to the leg:

[​IMG]

C.7 - The screw post that was cut off in C.6 will be screwed back onto the leg with the wheel piece on it as shown:

[​IMG]

C.8 - With the completed leg mods, the leg can now be transformer as shown once re-assembled:

[​IMG]

B - With the twist tie now connecting the hood to the rest of the toy, the top of the Mech Tech holes on the arms need to be trimmed down. This is to give enough room for the hood to close down all the way in vehicle mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if there are any questions!"

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.