DOTM could have done with more civilians

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Mar 10, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The focus of these films is on the civilians (Witwicky), the govt/military (Sector 7/SOCCENT/NEST) and the Transformers themselves, with more care given to the latter two in the films. The first film had a fair balance between the three, because it was from the civilian side that we got introduced to the war; in the sequels it was rather toned down (perhaps justifiably) to focus on the war, now fully introduced and brought to Earth, as seen from the other two angles.

That said, DOTM seemed like a perfect opportunity to showcase the civilian aspect of it. There was a disinformation campaign, where some anti-Autobot signs were shown to make people think the film’d feature protests to force the Autobots off Earth. Unfortunately that was not the case: instead many civilians were massacred in Chicago, and it took NEST and Sam to assist the Autobots.

The fact that civilians are generally portrayed as helpless against the Decepticons in these films kind of undermines their potential for courage and goodness. I came across this incident in the comics:
    “In San Francisco, Megatron explains to Optimus Prime that he ordered all the devastation on the city just to get Prime's attention. Still weary, Optimus tells Megatron to shut up, and that he'll defend humans even if they betray him and his own troops abandon his cause. Just as Megatron decides to end Optimus Prime's life once and for all, the sound of honking distracts him. Prime jumps out of the way as three fire engines, driven by humans, come racing down a broken freeway and slam into the Decepticons. Prime uses the distraction to quickly free his captured troops and then tells the Autobots that he wants their heads but to save Megatron for him.” (Prime Directive issue 6 - Transformers Wiki)

That would have been awesome to see in DOTM: the public who forced the Autobots out, who got massacred by the Decepticons in “gratitude”, decides to assist the Autobots in their fight – the very essence of “It’s Our Fight Now”, and “You’re a Soldier Now” (which Sam learnt in the first film). It would have been satisfactorily great to see a group of civilians rescue the Autobots in their prisoner scene, and assist Sam against Dylan in the fight at the pillars. It’s a shame MBay cannot really understand civilians, and is only really in his element with soldier archetypes (cops, strike forces and the like).

2. Atlas42

Atlas42 Banned

then people would complain even more about the humans being more useful than the autobots.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Bullcrap.

4. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

The civilians in Chicago were too dead to care about the 'cons.

5. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    More main human characters? NO. Let's stick with fewer human characters that we should care about, shall we?

Now, more "random civilians to be blown apart during the 'Con invasion", yes, I do believe they could've had more. ;) 

6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I have the feeling people are not reading my post fully...

There were SOME human survivors spotted in hiding at Chicago (the scene where Epps, Eddie, Sam and Carly race into the Trump Tower), so it wasn't like they'd made the town a 100% killing field. It would have been great to see some of them take a stand, knowing full well they might not survive but deciding to go down fighting to protect their loved ones (there was already Lennox's NEST speech, but it would also have been maybe more effective with survivors in Chicago, deciding to fight with the Autobots).

7. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The films are called transformers for a reason! Frankly I'm a little sick and tired of people whining about what wasn't in the movies sure the films aren't perfect but entire stories shoulnt be changed just because some ones not happy

8. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

9. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    :lol  :lol  :lol  Wow, so simple, yet so funny. I'm surprised no one's come up with this before! (no sarcasm)

10. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    More humans!!?? Are you crazy??!!
    The movie is called Transformers not Humans!!!
    This board will light up with fury, the skies will turn black, the angels will weep, and the members here shall cry HAVOC and let slip the dogs of war.......if there were more humans in the movie.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    While I'm sure some general human interest aspect would've been cool for small groups of survivors, Bay just can't handle that aspect of moviemaking properly and next thing you know those humans would've become badasses and gone on to easily take down some Decepticons on their own.
    Shots of a few humans cowering would be fine, but for Bay to try anything deeper than that he'd just fall back on his usual ways and have a need for them to defeat something.

That and obviously there's more than enough human stuff in these movies so to cram anymore in would just annoy.

12. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

Exactly my thinking.:thumb 

13. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 Getting a job to buy TFs.

News Credits:
    1. I think this is a horrible idea, you know, cause Bay.
    2. With let's say, Zach Snyder, the few civilians being neither pussy or badass would actually be pretty cool.
    3. Maybe not Snyder if you want the Autobots to win. :lol 

14. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    I believe you forgot the gnashing of teeth, MTME. ;) 

This. I'd like some humans, but only a few that we should really get to know (hence why I'm such a supporter of TF4 having only Simmons, Epps, Lennox, Dutch and a new [strong] female lead, and that's it).

And as for their resilience; it'd be feast or famine. We'd either have super powerful BA humans taking out 'Cons, or they'd be pathetically inept and just be in the way. Let's have a happy medium, please. :) 

15. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    How about this: instead of the prisoner scene, have the Decepticons take a group of humans hostage at threaten to kill them if the Autobots do not give themselves up. The Autobots do so, and they are captured and start getting executed except for the distraction of the crashing mothership (and maybe a distraction from the hostages too).

IMO it would have been better than the prisoner scene, and would have utilized the civilian aspect in a satisfactory manner.

16. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Hmm... I like it. But there's a whole slough of ideas that "would've", "should've" and "could've" been done. We'll just add this to the ever-growing list. :) 

17. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Seriously, where are you getting your information from? It can't possibly be from the movies, because if you've actually seen them, you'd know that the Transformers are barely in their own movies.

18. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The portrayal of the (surviving) ordinary civilians during the invasion was quite realistic.

They were hiding.

I mean if an army of giant murderous trigger-happy robots invaded someone's hometown, they'd most likely be running for the nearest basement they could find. The heroes would probably all get vapourised early on.

That could be the standard answer for a lot of TF movie suggestions. Now if it had been another director......but that's not the case.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  19. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Except for the Asian dry-cleaner lady who was apparently completely unaware that not only was the entire city under siege but that there was also a giant, evil robot stomping around right outside her window.

Unless Bay was just trying to combat his bad press for portraying negative racial stereotypes by reinforcing the positive racial stereotype of an extremely strong work ethic amongst Asians, lol.

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe not necessarily more civilian characters, but yeah, I would have definitely liked to see more weight put on HOW the cybertronian conflict has impacted earth and the everyday lives of average people. As it stands, the films have been a couple of big conflicts in populated areas and plot events with seemingly no consequences outside of a few government edicts.