DOTM: Based on story alone...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Atlas42, Jan 11, 2012.

?

Which of these has the best storytelling?

Poll closed Dec 18, 2012.
  1. DOTM (film)

25.7%
  2. DOTM (novelization)

70.3%
  3. DOTM (comic)

4.1%
  1. Atlas42

Atlas42 Banned

Which of these is the superior?

2. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I'd rate them thusly:

1.) Novelization
    2.) Film
    3.) Comic

The novelization obviously has the upper hand on the simple fact that IT'S A FREAKING BOOK. Books have the advantage of people enjoying reading them, because they'd more often than not be turned into a 9 hour movie. Scenes get more explanation, more development, robots get more dialogue in the book (except Ratchet), robot scenes are longer, there are more robot scenes, and even though the human-to-robot ratio is still ~50:50, it seems better simply because while there are more human scenes, there's way more robot scenes too. And the humans just seem to serve more of a purpose.

The comic is cool and all, but because it's a comic. A 90 page comic. Things have to be cut out, moreso than from novelization to film. Honestly, while I loved the comic, I couldn't help but notice the rather jarring transition (more than the movies *BA-DUM-CHH!*) of scene to scene. They had to rapidly go from highwaychasetoIronhidesdeathtomeetingwithMegatrontoexilingtheAutobotsEXPLOSIONsadnesswe'reback!. Phew. Stop and take a breath, will you? Things happened so fast, there wasn't really much decline after a scene.

The movie does what it can in 2.5 hours under budgetary restraints. Those restraints (while not completely absent in the writing of a book or comic) are no where near that of the movie. The story will call for something, but it may or may not be too expensive to film, so things have to be changed. Just as an example, every Optimus and Sentinel-shared scene in the movie is half the length of that same scene in the book (yet three times as long as that same scene in the comic). They had to shorten those robot-heavy scenes because otherwise, the budget would've been increased by a good $20 million on VFX alone. Yes, that does affect the storytelling. Or even the ending, having an additional 2-3 minutes of Megatron and Optimus teaming up against Sentinel, then Megs and Optimus discussing a truce and blah blah blah. Again, adding a fair chunk on the budget simply for the advanced VFX. Things. Have to. Change. I repeat, the movie did what it could given the time and budgetary constraints.

But all of these come with the territory; they're completely different mediums, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

3. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Well-Known Member

The ones without the Twins.

4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I'd have to say comic. The truce in the novel seemed to come out of nowhere. In the Comic, there is much more Megatron dialog. In the novel, it seems as if Megatron suddenly turns into a new character. In the comic, it seems more like Megatron hasn't changed, he just wants Cybertron to live. Also, the novel goes into so much detail, it almost gets ridicules.

The only problem I have with the novel is that Megatron just randomly changes personality.

5. Fisitronus

Fisitronus Wrecker

I reckon the novel cuz it actually has the original characters and plot... Hello Mirage, Wheeljack and the twins...

6. soundwaverulls

Oh. That reminds me. The death of Ironhide and the twins was so much sadder in the novel and the scene were Sentinel confronts Mearing seemed dark. It just needed a bit of dialog editing. It does make it a tough call for me.

7. Jazzfan0217

Jazzfan0217 Just chillin'

i like the novel, the parts with optimus were more emotional he didnt want to talk to sam face to face because he felt like he failed him as a friend, show me that in the movie. but to really be honest i like bits and pieces from both the novel and movie. for instant dino didn't die in the movie.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I like the film and novel. (went with film because I didn't like the idea of Megatron and Prime having a truce all of a sudden forgetting how much of an evil maniac Megatron is) Not super hot on the comics.

9. Atlas42

Atlas42 Banned

Afraid I am going to have to disagree with you, there. Just delete 5 minutes of Ken Jeong acting like a wackjob, and you can get 2 more minutes of Optimus with Sentinel, a minute of reflection with Megatron, and a longer epilogue.

10. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

Not really. Ken Jeong can simply walk in and act like a wackjob for 5 minutes, without requiring million dollar CGI that takes hours to render frames. It's much cheaper.

11. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

The "only 2.5 hours" excuse would work better if there wasn't so much filler and silliness that they could easily replace with scenes that enhance the characters and story. And the "CGI costs money" excuse would work better if stuff like the Driller didn't exist as a lot of money went into that.

The novel may have been a tiny bit better (novels always benefit because of detail and can usually add to characters by showing their thoughts), but it still lacked character and emotion for me.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    But why would you want the Driller to be replaced? It was fucking aweosme. It's what we want to see! That's what you replace filler with.

13. Silk Spectre

Well, I wanted to see more of the Transformers myself - more Autobot vs. Decepticon fight scenes.

The Driller was a waste to me.

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    The novel was much better.

15. soundwaverulls

The driller was weak and pointless. Explain how it was a powerful and irreplaceable threat or something that was vital to the plot? As far as I can tell, it could be easily replaced by Shockwave.

16. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    The actual amount of "filler and silliness" doesn't equate to as much as people think. The unfortunate thing is that a lot of these silly scenes are woven in to help tell the story (how successful they are is up to debate). Yes, many scenes could be re-worked and re-written to help the story flow better, but the problem remains that a lot of those scenes - if removed - would severely inhibit the story in some form or another. But again, it's only because those rants by the likes of Wang contain useful information for the audience. :( 

The "CGI costs money" excuse would still exist, even without things such as The Driller. Would the absence of the Driller have opened up a fair chunk o' change for other things? Of course. But it was still part of the story that they decided to put in there. Whether it was more Shockwave or more Driller, $10 million would've had to be tacked on someplace. And I'm sure that if the Driller wasn't in the film but was still in the novel, there'd be people complaining about "Why didn't they leave the drill-thing in?! It was so cool! Bay just took it out 'cause he's an idiot!"

*Let it be noted, that while I think the Driller is cool, I'd be more than willing to sacrifice it for moar Shockwave.

And I fully agree with your last statement. :)  It's always great to get in the minds of characters in the novels.

Well, if that's the only thing you're going to disagree with...

...there's this to take into account.

But I agree with your suggestion. Who wouldn't want a couple more minutes of Optimus/Sentinel/Megatron in exchange for fewer moments of Wang?

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The novel is the definitive interpretation of DOTM.

Michael Bay. :p 

18. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Novelization, hands-down.

19. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    *BA-DUM-CHH!* Nachtsider, everyone! ;) 

20. Silk Spectre

Even if I couldn't have more TFs, I would have gladly taken more Lennox and Epps over Wang any day.

There's always other ways they could explain things for the audience. Wang could have been replaced with something better and more geared toward the mood Bay supposedly wanted to create with the movie (darker and more serious).

The Driller didn't need to be a part of the story - that's good money they could have put towards giving Shockwave his due in a fight (at least) and adding more TF screen time - which the majority of people want to see. It shouldn't have existed in either the movie OR the novel. If it hadn't been in the movie, it's highly unlikely it would have been in the novel, since the novel is adapted from a script of the film.

Something like the Driller would have been fine in a standard alien invasion movie - but this being Transformers, and since they do have a budget, they should make every effort to put heavy CGI money towards Transformers.