DOTM Autobots leaving

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I remember that scene when the Autobots were forced off the planet due the Sentinel's and the Decepticons demand in order peace will in state on Earth once they get the resources they need to revive Cybertron. Now my question is was NEST aware that the Autobots never left Earth and they were going for a strike at the end as a plan?

Thanks

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Unlikely, since Optimus likely would have seen NEST as compromised due to it's bureaucracy and dishonesty with the Autobots. Optimus didn't even tell Sam (though he almost certainly KNEW, or at least strongly suspected he was compromised), and the NEST "operatives" Sam drove in with seemed to think the Autobots were gone (presumably for good).

3. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I often think about it, sometimes I think that they know that they will come back (remember what Bumblebee said to Sam ). But NEST might not know (in this case they should been prepare to this! And Ms. Mearing was quite sad, when Xantium left the ground).

4. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    I still think if they would've only showed scenes from before that part in the movie in the trailers, that could've been a much more gripping scene. That way you wouldn't have known if they were actually coming back. Unfortunately, as it stood, we all knew they weren't dead.

5. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I doubt NEST knew. Otherwise they would've probably informed Sam after it happened. "lol it's okay Sam, they'll come back just don't tell anyone". As Optimus says, "Your leaders will now understand, Decepticons will never leave your planet alone. And we needed them* to believe we had gone." Optimus knew the 'Cons/Sentinel couldn't be trusted, hence why they had the escape plan in case *gasp* the 'Cons/Sentinel didn't keep their word. He seems to deliberately have kept their plan from NEST, as to protect them.

*in the context of the scene, "them" could easily refer to the Decepticons or NEST/government officials

I don't even think it was a matter of shots from the trailer spoiling their return. It was inevitable (even with all of the footage that's shown with the various TV spots, trailers and clips, there's still no guarantee that just because you see a big battle in a big city means that "oh, that's at the end of the movie which means the Autobots survive". I mean, obviously that's how it turned out, but I can tell you that the "we will kill them all"-shot in the trailers, I had no idea when that was going to happen in the movie. I thought it might've been in the first five minutes, or it might've been Chernobyl or it might've happen in the middle of the movie.) With the MO of "good guys always win", would anyone have really expected the Autobots to not return after the Xanthium was destroyed? It was really only a matter of 'when' and 'how'.

6. jru42287

News Credits:
    There were a few scenes from the trailers that I wasn't sure where they'd end up, but overall, it was pretty easy to pick out what would be from the Chicago battle, which as we learned early on, would be the entire last hour of the movie. I mean, yeah, we'd all be certain that the Autobots wouldn't be killed off, but if they made it so we couldn't prove it without seeing the movie, it would've added an air of mystery and suspense I think. Think like what happened with Lt. Gordon in TDK. One with a good eye would catch that he couldn't be dead because he wasn't the commissioner yet, but in the moment of the movie, it's a shock, and you're not sure what to think.

7. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

I was more surprised at how they came back. The scene and following scenes were so gripping, so well-done, that by the time they came back, I had forgotten they would or could come back. It was a shock when Optimus saved the humans, and an even bigger one when they explained how they survived.

On topic, however, no, he did not tell NEST. They were just as shocked as Sam, after all.

8. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

I thought they did a good job with the trailer. A lot of the scenes (for once) implied something entirely different than what actually happened. Like that Bumblebee shot they showed with him dropping his hands in defeat with the battleship over him in the sky. I thought that would be the beginning of the assault, not Bumblebee about to be executed and Wheelie/Brainz saving the day.

9. tfomegaprime

tfomegaprime tail pipe

The real question is.Why the hell didn't NEST know that the autobots could travel to space in protoforms?

10. jru42287

News Credits:
    To be quite honest, I thought the explanation of how they survived was a little lazy and contrived.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Agreed but hey what do expect in these movies. The good ideas they present are "so subtle" that initially don't see it the first time around.

12. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Because they can't? Entry form is for just that. Entering the atmosphere, not leaving it.

13. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    That happened to me. I actually thought Soundwave might kill Bumblebee even though there were TV spots and trailers that showed him in scenes that didn't happen yet, although with the ship blowing up, it seemed to obvious to me that it was a plan.

14. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Exactly... re: The Empire Strikes Back

Nail. Head. Hit.

15. TNG Prime

The explanation wasn't intricate, I'll admit that. Though, it really didn't have to be. I think it was decent.

But the way it was, it was shocking when they showed up again. What they did afterward, too. The tone had been growing darker and the plot kept on moving at a fast pace even without them there in such a way that I forgot they would come back, and ended up pleasantly shocked when they did.

16. Muramasa

Muramasa Well-Known Member

The bureaucrats should have really thought things through more before giving in to Decepticon demands. Sentinel was quite vague on his demands to exile the Autobots. Did they not foget the Fallen did something similar by demanding Sam being turned over to them which would have resulted in having the Sun being harvested. This decision however resulted in the devastation of a major US city with thousands of casualties. Not to mention the Cons were planning to enslave humanity.

17. TNG Prime

The Government Is Dumb is a common TVTrope in movies these days. Granted, it has some truth to it.

18. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Let it be noted, I am not disagreeing that how they survived was convenient, (even though it was completely supported by character lines/actions/motivations, etc..) But how would you have done their return? :)  I'm not trolling, I'm not baiting, I'm not being sarcastic. I honestly want to know.

19. tfomegaprime

tfomegaprime tail pipe

what if they shed their parts in the launch and where launched out the atmosphere and transformed into protoforms?

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Then they'd have had trouble when their means for leaving the atmosphere exploded while they were still in it, before it exited the atmosphere.