DOTM as poorly received critically as ROTF

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Livingdeaddan, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Ah I just love all the it has to be something wrong with critics because it can't be something wrong with the film.

The rather interesting leaps of logic to say well if the critics don't think this is the greatest movie ever made then they don't know anything about movies and they are always wrong. Yes the Tomato Meters of The Dark Knight at 94%, Iron Man at 94%, Spiderman 2 at 93%, Jonah Hex at 12% or Bloodrayne at 4% shows that critics know nothing at all about good film vs bad film.

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Thought it was ok, there was plenty to hate and plenty to love.

3. mogel94

mogel94 Well-Known Member

I absolutely hated the film, I could go on and on about how flawed DOTM was in immense detail but I'll just leave it at the fact it was definetly worse than ROTF and no where near as good as the original film.

Reeboot: ROLL OUT

4. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

Its a representative sample though.

The point I was making is that regardless of how much a movie makes - its not beyond criticism. Just because a movie takes $1bn at the box office doesnt mean that the critics are wrong in their opinions.

Overly harsh critics are simply the mirror image of fanboys who wont see any flaws - not matter how large.

I agree with many of the criticisms levelled at DOTM - but still enjoyed it, because I took it for what it is. A big, loud, entertaining popcorn flick. Anyone who was expecting a paradigm shift from Michael Bay to something deeper and more meaningful should really know better by now.

5. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly. And the "well, a crap movie made more money than a critic's choice" argument is idiotic as well. Last I checked, the critics loved Dark Knight, Iron Man, and the LOTR trilogy (oh yeah, and ROTK won the Oscar), and they made a ton of money as well.

Besides, to offer another comparison, I can get a great grilled chicken sandwich around the corner for $4.00, but I don't see a sign up saying that they've sold nearly 100 BILLION like McD's and their hamburgers. The general public has a weakness for cheap junk, and movies fall into this category as well.

6. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

They dont always get it right - I hate this move.....:throw 

7. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

Lol @ Critics

Everyone should have understood by now that they lack the ability to judge a michael bay film fair and objective.

Besides, DOTM also did get ALOT of positiv reviews, alot of praise and alot of love from non-critics.

8. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

:( 

9. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, six percent would agree with you. :/

10. anikenvader

anikenvader Hero for hire

News Credits:
    Yeah, But the folks over at IMDB seem to have loved the thing! I like it a lot, way better than 2, if not better, it was as good as 1. It was fantastic! Even though (god forbid) You have to use your imagination to connect the 3 movies together, but hey, it works.

11. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Saying this movie is dumb isn't really a criticism, it's a fact. But it's a fact usually stated in the same sentence that mentions how good the action scenes are.

12. anikenvader

anikenvader Hero for hire

News Credits:
    ~Haters gonna hate.

13. lostnfound

lostnfound Contructiconvict

Bingo. /thread

14. mogel94

mogel94 Well-Known Member

It not the fact I'm a hater. Yes I hated this movie but I loved the first and greatly enjoyed the seccond despite the flaws. But the fact of the matter is that this is a poorly constructed film in every way possible (although not without some merits like the Dreads and the Wreckers).

I just cannot see how anyone can find this enjoyable even as a dumb action movie when it feels like Bay has strived so hard to make it anything but a dumb action movie for the most part. It's good that the movie franchise can be put to rest so that perhaps a more able bodied director can take it on and make a Transformers movie that the fans and the people deserve.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I find that the box office or the general public showed up just doesn't tell me anything about if I will like a film or not. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace might have had huge opening night crowds and a $924 million dollar box office but I was still totally disappointed with the film.

16. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it doesn't mean that the movie isnt entertaining. thats about all you should care about. when presented with a critically acclaimed movie such as black swan or the choice to see dotm again, i would probably take dark of the moon...yet black swan was better received by the critics.

you get the idea.

people put WAY TOO MUCH faith and attention in reviews and reviewers....for any media. its slightly sad tbth. in the end YOU are the best critic of what you like. people seem to think that they need to avoid, hate or be ashamed of things because some random joe said "i dont like it and i know better then you"

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Yup. HereĀ“s the thing , when I go to a movie I want to be entertained. Transformers will always be "junk" movies.

18. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I cannot understand how you enjoyed the 2nd movie but not this one. This was the 2nd movie with an actual story, 95% of the dumb humor removed, no twins, no Leo, and no Megan Fox. All positives. I found the 2nd to be a miserable pile, and I actually liked the 3rd.

19. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Alot of reviews prior to the movie's release praised it. They said the story was much better, the action sequences are amazing. It's the critics which sometimes come across as "snobby" that are slamming ti now, but that was to be expected. Like someone else said rotten tomatos has an audience rating of 90 or so. People are liking it so far. Either way it wasn't going to change my opinion and whether I liked it. I liked it much better than ROTF and will see it again. If you don't like then it wasn't for you.

20. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

The thing i believe most critics dislike in Bay is his inability to Learn and Evolve.

TF1 was all around great.

TF2 had story/plot issues(they say because of the strike), horrible camera work, Minimal Characterization, wasted screentime(what he thinks is humor and sexual), criminally misused villains, and a rushed ending.

TF3 has ALL of same issues as above except they have better camera work (forced on him because of the needs for 3D) but this time there's no writers' strike, an even bigger budget, and the fact its the END of his trilogy. No excuses other than himself.

He refuses to learn and evolve. He doesnt fix anything from before. He refuses to understand it doesnt matter if he likes the film (as a director) if no one else does.

I think he is an arrogant (about what, who knows), adolescent (not in the youthful, in touch way), prick. Very much like Dylan in DOTM. And honestly, i dont think he really even cares about the franchise.

People know what they hope to see ie. the ticket sales, and everyone cant be pleased, but he spits in their face with what he puts out there (on screen) by seemingly going out of his way to taint and distort anything hoped for or wanted. If he doesnt have a passion for the characters and wants to change everything hasbro provides for him, why is he even Directing. This type of attitude doesn't scream "I'm independent" or "I have a vision", It screams "Im an asshole with a shitload of cash and these films are mine, not yours". Very much like Megatron thinks he a great leader and the universe is his property.

He deserves what the critics give him.