DOTM, a masterpiece or just a guilty pleasure...?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by YoungPrime, Nov 10, 2011.

1. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Essentially most big budget movies with bad review scores didn’t do well this year.

“Sucker Punch” Bombed!
    “Priest” Bombed!
    “Conan the Barbarian” Bombed!
    “Green Lantern” Bombed!
    “Cowboys and Aliens” Bombed!
    “Zoo Keeper” Bombed!
    “The 3 Musketeers” Currently bombing….

People aren’t stupid they’re no longer showing up to every big budget movie simply because Hollywood advertizes it to death. The box office results of the films above are proof of that. At the end of the day word of mouth, movie reviews and common sense usually prevail. However some do manage to slip through the cracks every now in then. In this case “Transformers: Dark of the Moon” was that one instance where everyone said “Eff it!” and took their kids, friends, pets etc. to see it. Simply put, DOTM was everyone’s Sumer guilty pleasure.

Even I’ll go out my way to say that the special effect crew in this series deserves an Oscar. But that’s where it stops! Poor story, poor acting, poor editing which lead once again to the disappointment of poor fans.

So what do you guys thinks. Does this break down make any sense to you or am I just Bayhating for no good reason..?

2. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I won't say it's masterpiece but it's also not a pile of garbage like Land of the Lost was! It's certainly an improvement over ROTF but the first movie still holds the cake for me!

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The reason why people went to see it anyway is because it's fricking Transformers. Transformers sells.

Also, this thread will end well.

4. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will say that your argument has one serious flaw. All the other films you mention as bombs aren't really comparative to Transformers because, unlike all the films on your list, Transformers was already part of a very successful and lucrative franchise. It was always going to break records, and lo and behold, it did. Same with POTC 4.

Is DOTM a masterpiece? Well, I don't think anyone can say that and keep a straight face. A guilty pleasure? Possible, depending on whether or not you give a shit what people think of what films you like. I like DOTM as a visually stunning action film, and I think it does come across as quite a good version of how a live-action TF film can be done, with a few tweaks here and there, like locking Bay out of the editing suite. I wouldn’t call it a guilty pleasure, though. I'm not ashamed to say I like it, as lying about something like that would just be weak and shallow.

5. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Although some may disapprove or dislike DOTM for whatever reason they can provide, I liked it, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the DVD. I find it strange that Transformers fans who crave and cry out for more films, simply act like spoiled brats because the films aren't depicted the way they want.

I'm sorry to say it, but some people on these forums act like know it alls and self proclaimed experts, when in fact they're nothing more than selfish, self centered fools who can't see past their bedroom window.

6. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked Sucker Punch and tbh it had better story then DOTM..

7. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    DOTM is not terrible compared to other movies I have seen. Things like Epic Movie are things that are abosoultely stupid. They have a dum story, terrible acting, and stupid special effects. People will go to see any movie they want to see no one can tell them what to like and not what not to like. I found the DOTM story to be great, not fantastic, but it does have its moments.

8. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    You're just baythating, TF is a masterpiece.

9. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Masterpiece or guilty pleasure? For me: guilty pleasure. Like TF1, DOTM is a remarkably well done, big budget, epic scope and visually stimulating pile of sh*t. It's easily my "favorite" of the three movies, but I can't deny all of its shortcomings OR the astounding amount of technical skill & professionalism that went into making it. How's that for a confusing dichotomy? :) 

This is why I always say that Bay is a paradox. He's basically the absolute best of the worst, and while virtually all of his movies get slayed and are as cookie cutter cliche as they come, they're extremely well done, re-watchable and very clearly show off the talent that this guy DOES have.

10. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    I can contest that assessment with one title…”X-Men”

First Class though wasn’t perfect was still far greater than the last two X-men films. Other than Cars 2 it basically had June to itself yet it still struggled to make it’s money back and turn a profit domestically. By right X-men should be doing the numbers that DOTM, Pirates, and Harry Potter were. But because of FOX’s notorious way of desecrating their licensed Marvel characters and butchering the stories in general, people were hesitant with seeing this latest film.

As far as continuity these films are everywhere. Thus making what should be box office gold leave most fans wishing Xmen films were in the hands of Marvel Studious. Long story short Xmen films have been around longer than Bayformers but not even Wolverine can outwieigh the horrible efforts of a FOX.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd say its less of a Masterpiece and more of an Action Master.

12. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I liked DotM. It was interesting the entire way through and, while it may have been stupid at times, it was also funny. I found it worth the price of admission. I can't say the same is true for the other two Bay movies.

13. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Wait... Cowboys and Aliens bombed? It did quite well, IIRC, much to everyone's surprise.

14. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can enjoy something without it being a work of art, now I'm going to go and laugh at people falling over and hurting themselves.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I'd say it's just a movie that a lot of people like.

Specifically Omega Spreem. Yeah he's awesome, but not one for extended conversation if ya know what I mean.

16. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, DOTM was a guilty pleasure at best. I still can't wrap my head around the plot; trying to make sense of it in the context of the trilogy is a lost cause.

17. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    How is it selfish to want a transformers film that almost everyone can enjoy...?
    Dismissing people who were disappointed with these films as spoiled brats and know it all's classifies as being self-centered in itself.

To avoid this being just another flamewar thread. I ask that you add something positive to the discussion or just ignore the thread all together.

18. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    It did 100mil domestic with a 160mil budget. And from what Ive heard, Hollywood rarely get much of the profits made overseas.

19. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    ...............good one.

20. mogel94

mogel94 Well-Known Member

No way in hell that film was a masterpiece. But I would say ROTF was a guilty pleasure because of how hilariously awful it was, but for some reason I just find DOTM a bit hollow and lacking a soul.

Thats pretty low, just because some people want a better film out of something near and dear to their hearts, who feel as if the Bay franchise is not that great doesn't mean they're "self centered fools". Not everyone can scream praise about every single aspect of a franchise they like.