Dose Hasbro get the hint???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kenm2474, Feb 5, 2009.

1. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I mean really. With all these outside Companys makeing accesories for the Classics/Universe line (Primes Trailers, Guns, Missle launchers, Armor Sets) dont you think Hasbro would get the hint to make these add ons themselves? These arent made up accesories they are made from what the characters originally had (Magnus Armor is in question on that).

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Presumably, it's not cost effective for Hasbro to do.

3. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of the third party add ons are limited to short runs (around 2000 I think is standard). Hasbro wouldn't bother producing so few toys, and if they made 10,000 they'd have a hell of a time selling it all.

Besides, if they start peddling me small add-ons I'm going to be pissed off that the good accessories didn't come with the original release!

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

But look at who buys those upgrade kits: people who care if Classics UM should have his armor and not be a straight-up repaint of Prime. Hasbro, on the other hand, retails first and foremost to kids, and kids don't care if their Classics Prime and Classics Magnus are really the same toy.

Plus, you have to remember that Universe/Classics is not as important to Hasbro as their main TF lines: Animated and soon to be ROTF movie toys.

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Indeed. I would certainly be willing to purchase items like the UM armor and Binaltech weapons IF they were official products.

But in reality, let's suppose that 10% of the people who purchase a particular toy are collectors. If 50% of those collectors were to buy the extra add-on, you're still only looking at a 5% buy ratio related to the original toy. I would imagine that's not enough for Hasbro to even consider taking interest.

If we didn't get Energon weapons packs back in the Energon days, I can't imagine they'll be much else on the horizon in that vein.

6. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

Considering how expensive and time consuming many of these projects are, and that they're not made of the same quality of plastics as the normal Transformers, it would be unreasonably expensive for Hasbro to mass produce them.

Its not that Hasbro doesn't "get the hint" as some of these fan projects have been shown around Botcon before (if I recall) but its just that Hasbro has much better things to do with their time and money than to produce expensive fanwank toys :c Not saying I wouldn't like it if they included these li'l add-ons here and there, but its just very unfair to bitch and expect them to do it all the time.

7. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Fair enough, but they are losing out on an untapped resource. Sure there are folks starting to, but it's just the tip of the iceberg.

When collectors and fans start spending hard earned money on these kits (and some of them can be expensive) it's cutting into Hasbro's profits as well. That money spent could've gone to buying a new figure sitting on store shelves, instead it went to a bunch of 20-somethings with real talent, in some back office of a factory in China.

Hasbro won't do it, and I understand their reluctance to do so, but it might be worth it to try it out in a test market or two, you never know what could happen.

But then a fan would come along and trump their design and we're back to square one, so you're damned if you, damned if you don't.

C'est La Vie.

8. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

Agree and besides, third parties company probably work directly under hasbro approval, hence they work with their liscence... So it's probably a non-hasbro product kinda approved by hasbro... I know, for a fact by working with them that they wouldn't let anything transformers related sold without their consent. That being hasbro, or takara, takara being themselves a " sub-contracting" company to hasbro or vice versa

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Hasbro does try to give as much fanwank as possible, though. Just look at Universe Ratchet and Hot Shot. Ratchet's licence plate reads "H3L PU2" on yellow backing, a clear homage to the relatively unknown marvel Transformers comic "The Price Of Life!", where the cover depicts Ratchet fused with Megatron and the ugly result holding a yellow note with a badly written "Help Us" on it. Hot Shot's licence plate simply reads "JAAM", which I believe underwear-ninja's avatar explains.

10. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    well if you're damned if you do and damned if you don't then you might as well don't (not) and spend your money making new figures.

11. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

The fact they're not losing out is kind of the whole point. Doing the sort of high price, limited run, collector-oriented stuff has not proved worthwhile for them. Look at how badly collector-oriented lines like G1 reissues and Titanium has done for Hasbro. Sure, some fans love them, but the toys end up shelf-warming at reduced prices.

12. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd rather Hasbro spend their time making new and improved figures, then wasting it making a gun here and a trailer there. Do you know where I display like 99% of my trailers? In my closet, in a box.

Look at Ultra Magnus, why would Hasbro spend the time and money making a trailer for a figure that was exclusive to one store, and ended up being clearanced for like $7 for a line that was supposed to end in a couple of months ? Yes City Commander was a hit, but how many stores are just now selling out of MP Prime Trailers and Megatron silencers? Hasbro would have a hard time selling weapon packs for Gijoes and Star Wars figures, let alone Transformers.

13. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    The only way Hasbro would do add ons would be if they're included with the figure....but then they wouldn't be considered add ons. Or they can sell them via collector's club or some convention.

OR! They can do it ala BAF. They can have an entire wave of delux figures be packed with an add on for a stand alone figure like a Voyager or Leader class. You wouldn't neccesarily (sp?) need the add ons to complete the figures but they would make them that much more bad ass.

14. kenm2474

^^^As was stated above. I think hasbro should include the Shoulder Cannons to the Characters who are knowen to have them.

15. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I don't consider the CC armor to be a "fanwank toy" at all. Ultra Magnus is more than a white Prime.

Also, it's plastic is pretty darn sturdy. I'd say it's at least as good as the stuff Hasbro uses.

16. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

I didn't say anything about City Commander, so why did you? :sly:  I will admit that I did buy the City Commander upgrade set, however I will also say that its quality in plastic is nothing compared to Hasbro's- considering that mine already has some stress marks, and that two parts have broken off, after only a few Transformations. He's nothing more than an expensive paperweight now.

So are you still glad you brought up City Commander? |:[ by the way Ultra Magnus is basically a white Prime when you get down to the bare essentials- and Hasbro can very well get away with doing so with their own character when they want to :rolleyes2 

The point is that these toys can sell just fine without expensive accesories. Fan projects- like upgrade sets and kitbashes- exist for a reason, and that reason is basically fanwank.

17. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Because the armor is one of the fan-produced accessories being discussed.

Mine is very sturdy. No problems at all.

I wouldn't say glad, but I'm not sorry about it, if that's what you want to know.

Oh for crying out loud. Not that argument. "They're Hasbro's, they can do whatever, yadda yadda yadda." If that's your take on it, then why even participate? Because whatever Hasbro gave the figure, that's all it needs, because they sold it that way. No need for any add-ons or accessories. Heck, why don't they paint a Megatron green and call him Ultra Magnus? The name belongs to them, they can do whatever they want with it. :rolleyes: 
    And throughout the G1 cartoon and comics, Magnus was never depicted as merely a white version of Prime. That was a component of the toy, but it was never shown to be the actual robot form for him.

Sure, if you say so. I'm sure a G1-accurate Ultra Magnus would not have sold any better in the Classics line than the Target-exclusive one which was clearanced so heavily that I snagged a few for $4.98.

18. kenm2474

^^^^^^ :thumbs2: 

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Speaking as someone who lives in a country where we NEVER get an entire line, I viciously loathe this idea.

20. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Hasbro I dont think is worried, They have so many toylines to even care........