DOS game recommendations

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by dsn1014, Dec 11, 2011.

1. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

So I've been playing around with Vmware and Dos Box, I just completed Bioforge and I have to say I was very impressed, a great game all round, I'll forgive the clunky controls.

So I'm looking for old school game recommendations if anyone has any. Know any games I can download and play for free? (I'm a student whose looking for cheap adventure lol)

I'm looking for more sci-fi rpgs, I see Origin who published BioForge have a couple, but curious if there are any other good ones I should have an eye out for.

2. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Zork.

3. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
  4. dsn1014

oldschool!

I saw that available alright, might be the job.

5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Elder Scrolls was my second choice. But Zork rocks.

6. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Darklands
    Privateer
    Wing Commander I - III
    Bards Tale
    Wizardry
    Master of Magic
    Master of Orion
    Civilization
    Eye of the Beholder I - III
    Dark Forces
    Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

7. dsn1014

Awesome list, cheers :) 

I loved Jedi Knight!! Great idea.

Wing Commander sounds sweet too.

I remember Civilisation as well, but was never quite organised enough for God sims lol

as for the rest Google will know hehe

8. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Star Control II, also known in modern (open source rerelease) form as The Ur-quan Masters.
    System Shock. System Shock II is even better, but I believe that ran on Windows.

9. dsn1014

I was looking into System Shock today, didn't know there was a sequal. From what I could see its a first person shooter with RPG aspects. I saw some screenshots today and I like the look of it.

And I've not heard of your first recommendation, another to look up. I hope to find a few hours over Christmas to play these. I'm not a console man and don't really care about looks, so long as they're well made. Some of these taking their age into account look amazing still.

10. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

On the System Shock series: Play the original first. Playing the sequel will spoil the story of the original. And after you play System Shock, check out The Hacker's Guide To Sin, an amusing look back at the series that might give it a little replay value.

StarControl II: I found the original StarControl boring. And StarControl III has been panned by many reviewers and fans. But StarControl II is a work of art, in my opinion. See the review that led me to it, visit The Pages of Now & Forever, a good but mostly inactive fan site, and obtain the in progress port (based on the superior 3DO version) known for legal reasons as The Ur-Quan Masters.

11. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Wing Commander! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I own every single game of that series.

Ive also been a mega fan of Crusader: No Remorse & No Regret (I wish there was a modern remake, it'd be a perfect, 3rd person shooter, cover based, stealth game :3~~~)

There are quite a few games for DOS from Epic Megagames before they went all big for their Gears of War and Unreal Tournament games, they are....

Zone 66
    Jill of the Jungle
    One Must Fall 2097 (still play it to this day, great fighting game)
    and shoot, that's all I can remember.

There is one game that follows as a trilogy with a rather intense story, and a lot of character development, called Traffic Department 2192.

Ill be back as when I can recall more in mind.

12. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    X-Com: UFO Defense (or UFO: enemy unknown - same game, different name). and X-Com: Terror from the deep are both fantastic turn based strategy games and well worth checking out. Wing Commander Privateer will keep you occupied for aaaaaaages and is one of the best space combat games from that era with a great trading and upgrade system to keep you involved.

Crusader No Remorse and Crusader No Regret are probably some of my favorite action games of all time, not just from that era. Phenomenal soundtracks, too.

13. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Star Control is good and all, but for the true DOS feel go back to Star Control's roots - Starflight! I can remember you HAD to copy the game disks because the game saved the current game state to the floppy you were playing on. You could customize your starship, go out and mine for minerals, collect exotic alien creatures... you had a huge, huge region to explore. I'll never forget how giddy I got when I finally found our solar system...

I used to play the BattleTech games a lot - Crescent Hawk's Inception and the original Mechwarrior. God, those were fun - especially Mechwarrior. It was too easy to take down an assault mech once you learned the tricks :D 

You can't go wrong with the Ultima VII games either. I really enjoyed those.

In the same vein as Wing Commander, try out Strike Commander. Like Wing Commander meets mercenary F-16 pilots.

14. dsn1014

Wow, loads of options here, I should make a list in the first post of the options available. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm moving towards System Shock if I can get it working right.

15. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Favourites, favourites...
    - Betrayal at Krondor
    - Red Baron
    - Descent I
    - X-Wing/TIE Fighter
    - seconding the Dark Forces duology
    - original DOOM
    - Star Trek 25th Anniversary

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    X-wing is very clunky these days, go with TIE Fighter instead.

Flashback is very good.

Another World, but you can buy a 25th anniversary edition for pennies that works on Win XP up.

Wing Commander 1,2,3 and Privateer are very good, back when Origin ruled the roost. Prophecy onward... meh. (Shadow! I still miss you!)

Point and clicks, I never played these but Beneath a Steel Sky is meant to be stellar, anything from Lucusarts oldskool (Day of the Tentacle, Curse of Monkey Island etc), Sam and Max. Personally I played a lot of Sierra point and clicks, and found stuff like Gabriel Knight Sins of the Father to be excellent.

If you want vomit induced play Descent.

FPS, go to the root, Ultimate Doom, Duke Nuken 3D, Hexen are all very good. Quake and Quake 2 are not bad, but Quake 3 is poop without other people to play, seeing as it's MP oriented.

System Shock is very good, bit clunky now though. Space Hulk is one of my favourite games OF ALL TIME. Forget the recent Space Marine game, go back to the start with this one.

Yeah, of all that I'd have to say I got the most out of Space Hulk.

Seriously, old skool DOS games are diamond, they were streets ahead of the console curve at the time and a lot still hold up magnificently today.

OMG. And Frontier Elite II, on a SINGLE FLOPPY DISC. All that game under 1.44mb? It was magic in those days. MAGIC.

17. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll put another vote in for the first two X-com games - classics.