Don't you just hate...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by My03Tundra, Jan 12, 2008.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    ... hospitals?

I live with a condition that is a result of a RARE neurological complication from mononucleosis. It causes anywhere from a mild annoying pain in my back to severe EXCRUCIATING pain. Now, after over a year of a diagnosis, I have medication to help with it. Before that, I was in and out of the hospitals for about eight months of 2006 (February to September, roughly) and a lot of that time was HELL.

On this past Tuesday (01/08/08) I went to the ER with stabbing pains in the pit of my stomach. They were pretty severe and I was even thinking of going to work despite being in hell, but called in. I fought with the idea of going to the ER for awhile and finally decided to go. Six hours later I got a room, where others had beds in the hall. I saw a doctor an hour later after that and he pretty much said it was esophagitis (spasms of the esophagus). So, I got a bit of pain medication in the ER, a chance to rest for a short bit, and was sent home with a prescription for Prilosec to try.

It may be another pill, but at least it wasn't another scar! And to think, all of this was most likely due to all of those delicious caffeinated beverages. Damn you Monster and Rockstar!

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Wow, hope you get better dude. Honestly, when Ive taken my wife to the ER (once a year for whatever reason) theyve been very good and efficient. I guess it just depends on the volume of people to the size of the hospital.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hope you get better. I'm happy that most of my medical situations happened when I was young enough not to remember it all when I got older (pnuemonia, seizures, low immune system, born 3 weeks premature, and a whole bunch of other things I can't remember off the top of my head). While I can't stand hospitals, my sister happens to work in one (the one I was born in too).

4. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I too am not a fan of hospitals and despise how every Emergency Room is complete shit unless you go by ambulance. 6 hour wait for them to give you over the counter medicine? Incredible.

5. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Yeah, I've arrived by ambulance a few times in extreme agony only to be slapped into a wheelchair and made to wait six hours. Let's just say that unless there is absolutely, positively, no other choice I will not go to that hospital where that happened again.

I've lost a LOT of respect for some of the local medical community, but I do have hospitals I "prefer," such as the Catholic hospital where I've NEVER been treated poorly or disrespectfully. It is a matter of the trickle-down effect where if the administration and doctors are a-holes, then they attract the same kind of nurses and nurses aides.

The "hard" part right now is I can't eat spicy foods (plus other stuff) until things have had a chance to heal, nor can I drink caffeinated beverages AT ALL anymore. Great. No more Monster or Rockstar, or other Energy drinks.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No. But I bet you saw that coming.

Sorry you had a rough time with it, though. Hopefully the Prilosec works out. And good news on a solid diagnosis--the rare stuff always takes longer.
    Incredible? Not really. I guess they were too busy dealing with people who couldn't be treated by OTC meds--y'know, real emergencies--to rush to your bedside with something you could have picked up at a drugstore.

EDIT: Okay, that was heavy-handed (but accurate). So look, I know ERs can be frustrating. But unless you really, truly understand how they work--by say, having worked in one--opinions like this are unreasonable.

Yes, ambulance patients often get treated faster, although not always. Yes, some people abuse the system and get treated ahead of the patients who did the right thing by arranging for their own transport. But the bottom line is that any given ambulance patient is statistically likely to be more serious than any given waiting room patient.

You wanna get pissed about it? Get pissed at the people who manipulate the system--which exists for the benefit of all, sometimes at the expense of your time--for their own convenience, not the ER.

7. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The hospital I went to when I broke my leg before Christmas was AWESOME. The people couldn't have been any nicer, the nurses were cute, and the food was actually good. The experience totally changed my views on hospitals. I used to hate them before that.

8. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Ya know, I did and didn't see it coming. I thought something might happen when for some lunches I had NOTHING but a 24 oz (!!!) Monster beverage or similar. Just the week before I had tried many different energy drinks and LOVED the taste of the Rockstar Java drinks. Iced coffee, with the extra kick of an energy drink. I'm not quite an energy drink connoisseur, but I did have quite a few of them the two weeks preceding the incident. :D 

I do get pissed to no end at those who have abused the "system." I had thought about trying a Zantac, but with my pains only getting worse it was dangerous to just go popping an OTC pill without knowing the full picture. Once I was seen, they ran blood work to make sure it was heart related (which runs in the family). It is nice to have a "diagnosable" condition for a change, even if it adds ANOTHER pill to the growing pile.

9. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what the medical system is like over in the USA, but down here you'll get treated better if you've got private medical insurance. Of course, that doesn't change the several hour wait in ER that you sometimes have to go through, but it's kind of unavoidable. Just try not to go in on weekend nights as there's usually many bleeding drunk people.

10. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Oh, I do have insurance but I still have to pay out of my a$$ sometimes. For 2006 alone, I spent over $3000 from my out-of-pocket costs. And that was with my insurance paying anywhere from 70 to 100% and BEFORE my large deductible for out-of-pocket costs was met! It would've been a LOT more had I not had insurance. Now, not all insurance companies or coverage plans are equal.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  11. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

I'm not really fond of hospitals, though then again, I'm the kind who prefers to be off medication if possible. Was in the ICU once after a minor surgery kind of went... wrong. The nurses and docs were nice (though I'm wondering if they were just acting apologetic for the booboo), and my only qualm was that there was an insane old woman in the bed opposite yelling all day and night long about how she wanted to get married, in a Mandarin dialect.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sorry, I meant, "No, I don't hate hospitals--but I figured you knew that'd be my opinion and that I'd post it." :lol 

13. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Oh... well. We all have our opinions. If I worked there, and it was a good environment (as you've had) I would too. I hate hospitals in general as, well, you have to be sick or have (or should) an emergency to go there. That is the bad part. The worst part is sometimes when you are legitimately sick and the doctors and nurses treat you like shit. Thankfully, last March and earlier this week I've been treated great. It just matters where you go, and even what time you go.

14. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Nope, I don't hate hospitals either. A good chunk of my family is or has been working in hospitals for as long as I can remember, and I have great respect and sympathy for what they have to deal with on a daily basis.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    My hospital rocks. When I broke my foot and arm the people there were very nice and helpful, except for one doctor. Thanks to that one guy who decided to put my broken forearm (broken all the way through, not just cracked or only one of the bones broken) in a sling (they didn't have the materials there at the time). I was later told by a proffesional that that was not a good idea, and I should've got a cast right away.

I can't help thinking to this day if he had made me a cast right there and then, it wouldn't have the asymetric arms I do now. (It didn't heal properly, so now it sticks out at a curve as opposed to being straight) It still tingles when I think of it.

At least they had a sense of humour, saying that thanks to the new bone that grew, I'm now 50% percent less likely to break my arm there again.:p 

Rant over.

The hospitals rock, but sometimes the doctors can be real pricks. (other staff there is usually nice)

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't hate hospitals, but I hate going to them :lol  I've had way too many surgeries on my ear, I'm tired of going.

17. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Yeah, that is pretty much how I feel. I've had my share of surgeries, too and would like to never have one again but I know that is impossible. I know down the line I'll likely need cubital tunnel surgery on both arms (as a result of my occupation) and may even need another shoulder surgery. Only time will tell...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  18. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

QFT. My mother's a nurse - always has been. The stories I hear sometimes are quite worrisome. Nurses that stand up to doctors aren't nearly as common as Scrubs would have you think. My mother does - and doctors have learned to respect her. Some of her fellow nurses let the doctors run roughshod over them and wonder how my mom does it.

(Not saying all doctors are mean to nurses - but it happens.)

19. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I find it depends on who's on staff and how busy they are. First time I went into the VA Urgent Care/Emergency room because I was bleeding excessively (to the point where my chest was actually getting cold) I was told 'don't go to sleep here, you're just low on potassium' and was sent home with four potassium pills. A few days later I went back to the same hospital and that time got great care, including getting setup with a regular health provider there and everything which usually takes three months, and I'm still alive because of it.

--Moony

20. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I've only been to the ER once (that I can remember) because I broke my foot, but the staff was incredibly nice. The freaking wait took forever, though. And there was this girl about my age with a group of 3 friends and her mom, and the girl was running around and being silly with her friends. She didn't even look sick or maimed. I didn't want to judge, but yeah. I wonder how many people go to the emergency room that don't even really have emergencies? I saw people there that SERIOUSLY needed help, and then there was that girl who got to go before.

But other than that, the staff was incredible. They were teasing me because I broke my foot simply tripping while I was walking on the sidewalk. Apparently I twisted it the wrong way just enough, but I was joking around with them saying I broke it like an 80-year-old. Good times.