Don't you just hate it when a toyline doesn't release all the characters?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shizuka, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Now as a collector there are two things that I keep in mind that 1) I want all of the characters in that series and 2) that they are in scale.

When it came to the movie line I hoped to get every character but if you've kept up with the toys then you'd know that this was ultimately a fools effort since some characters weren't even made. It's a little annoying and it makes me wonder why this happens?

Even Transformers Armada got all of the characters even Sideswipe and Wheeljack. Heck, even Sideways got a toy and he has a mini-con for a head.

2. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

That right there makes it a futile effort, even if you ignore the first point :lol 

3. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Touché.

This is why I'm waiting for all of the Transformers: Prime figures to be released so I can judge the scale. So far the leader class will seem to be out of scale.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Which is what made the character cool.

5. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:

If you mean alt mode scale, good luck. To achieve that, Jets would need to be Masterpiece-sized, while cars would be about legends-sized. Prime would be a deluxe, tanks would be voyagers. Jets really throw any semblance of scale out of whack. They really are pretty much all super big in real life.

If you mean just bot-mode scale with their animation model it's a lot more achievable I guess.

Why do some characters not get made? I'm sure there's a variety of reasons. Sometimes a line gets canceled earlier than anticipated, sometimes prototypes don't turn out the way they want, or they can't bring it in under budget or a toy repeatedly fails safety tests so they cut their losses and scrap their idea. Sometimes they decide to hold something back for a later line. It's really a case-by-case thing.

6. cuters

cuters Diabolist

Ya where in the hell is classic,s trailbreaker and blitzwing i,m kitbashing my own blitzwing when he,s done i,m shure hastak will release them in a new wave just like when i kitbashed thundercracker dirge thrust and warpath

7. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

yes. yes i do. i dont buy a figure here or there from a line. i buy most all of any line i get into.

classics
    g1
    tfa
    movieverse
    prime

foc?

for example i skipped (or bailed is a better term) on wfc because they didnt release enough figures.

robot scale is also important to me. so for instance it sucks topspin doesnt have a human alliance size to go with his wrecker brothers on my shelf. im not going to buy a deluxe and stick him up there.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It is sometimes a bummer when a toyline doesn't get all of the characters in its media made. Especially if the character list in the show was actually fairly small. For the most part a lot of past series did pretty well. I think Animated was the first maor stumbling point. So many good in-show characters that would've made brilliant toys and it never happened. TFA got cut short though so who knows if we'd have ever gotten all the main characters eventually.
    I know repaints are part and parcel of a line but it does irk when there are characters never made as toys while stuff in that line already released gets repainted 'instead'.

9. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I don't know, but I don't think there's ever been a cartoon toylne that's ever made all the characters that's ever appeared in it. It's just near impossible for the manufacturer, esp since minor characters don't sell as well. The closest you can find to something like that is probably Star Wars who have fanatical collectors.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Beast Wars came pretty close. As long as you don't count the Vok, Raptor drones or G1 characters in the Ark.
    Even Beast Machines gave it a go, missing most notably Botanica but not really much else. Not that perhaps Beast Machines is the best example considering how most of the toys didn't look much like their on-screen counterparts most of the time anyway. Pity we never got an Optimal Optimus remold with a Megatron face.
    The RID toyline had a lot of the characters that appeared on-screen. Actually, did they have all the on-screen characters as toys? I'm racking my brain and I can't think of any it didn't. I bet I've overlooked one or two though.

When a line has lots of non-screen character toys there's no excuse for not including all the on-screen ones. The show is an advert for the toyline after all.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It sucks, especially if you're a big fan of the minor characters who don't get toys. But at the same time, it's understandable, from the limitations of a toyline (and it gives you something to wish for and fight for, now that we've got things like Botcon exclusives, customs, and Classics).

I'd rather some characters not get released from a good show, than a show where everyone gets a toy and they're all just shoehorned into the show so kids know which ones to buy.

12. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Welcome to every anime-based toyline ever. American or Japanese, they're both screw-ups. Can't get all of five main characters from Lupin III, can't get the original five Straw Hat pirates, can't ever get a Sakura to go with Naruto and Sasuke, etc. You know the only one I think actually did it was the Ertl/Jakks DBZ line and then only because the show aired for almost two decades.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Recently this has become an issue, and yeah, it's annoying. ROTF, DOTM, and Animated are all missing a lot of toys, with DOTM and Animated actually going so far as to be lacking toys of key cast members. Hopefully the upcoming movie trilogy line can help fill those movieverse holes, but Animated is screwed.

Somewhat similarly, in Japan, Takara didn't release non-show character toys in Superlink (like Sharkticon and Slugslinger), and then in Galaxy Force they didn't even finish releasing all the show characters (Menasor, and Quickmix were imported by ehobby a year after the show ended, and Dark Crumplezone wasn't available at all).

and then you have every non-north american and non-asian market, where it's actually rare for any line to be completed.

While some will say that these above two examples aren't the same as the toys not getting made since we can import them, well, kids would disagree. As far as a kid is concerned, the missing toys don't exist at all.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea it's annoying as heck.

Not the scale you just have to learn to live with scale will never be perfect with Transformers.

But with the push for these tiny casts to most things Transformers now it's kind of sad they can't manage a full cast. I could forgive them not doing some character who was only in the background of an episode or only had one line, but characters who were in several episodes don't end up with a toy release.

Not just in Transformers either. It got to be such a pain the butt with teams over in Hasbro's Marvel line that I just gave up on Marvel Universe. Damn it shouldn't take years to release a team as small as the Fantastic Four, or special sets just to collect a four person team of one of Marvel's iconic teams.

15. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

ok, for the DOTM Line we're missing
    -Soundwave
    -Wheeljack/ Que
    -Diino/ Mirage
    of course we get the twins, even though they didn't appear in the theatrical version (not sure if they appear in the Special Edition)

TF Prime
    missing all later FE figures (I managed to get Bulkhead and Optimus at some cost, but Cliffjumper, Vehicon Trooper and Terrorcon Cliffjumper haven't been released in the US (that I know of, the FE figures came out around Christmas time, and they flew off shelves by January at best)

G1
    -No Arcee, Elita 1, Devcon, Alpha Trion; no reissues of Megatron (US release), Wheeljack, Mirage, Hound, Trailbreaker, Ironhide, Ratchet, Sunstreaker,

Classics Style
    -No Blitzwing, Trailbreaker, Dinobots, Insecticons, Soundwave, Shockwave, Predacons

War for Cybertron
    -no Sideswipe, Ironhide, Rachet, Omega Supreme, Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Warpath, Barricade, Breakdown, Omega Supreme, Trypticon

16. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    There's a pretty big difference between doesn't exist at all, and only available through import sources.

17. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm okay with it, but that's because I prefer to collect figures individually based on their merits, rather than entire lines. I find it far more frustrating when a character I like receives a mediocre mold, or if there's a critical flaw on an otherwise well-engineered mold.

18. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's because of what those characters are originally created for.

Armada got all of those mentioned because the characters were created for the toyline first, then the show. Whereas movie characters are created first for the movie, then get translated later on for the toyline.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Yeah, I agree that it's a pain (still kinda miffed Animated Constructicons didn't even get attempted, they would have made badass toys), but there's only so far you can go with TF toys and budgets. This has been true for a long time, it's just that people are still pissy about DinoMirage still not even having an inkling of a toy release.

Technically, Que and Soundwave ARE in the line, and I'm pretty sure got released SOMEWHERE on this planet. I mean, I know there was at least one member complaining about stress marks on the top of his HA Soundwave's head some time ago.

You also forgot Brains entirely. Like it or not, he was a character (and frankly actually did stuff to help the good guys such as help locate the Russians who revealed the existence of the rest of the Spacebridge Pillars, while Mirage, the guy everybody wants, didn't really do anything of lasting importance).

Irrelevant. This is about characters who HAVEN'T had releases in a toyline. All the characters sans Bulkhead are getting, for whatever asinine reason, new figures in the mass release line, and Bulkhead did make it into the hands of some people. Right now it looks like all the robots from Prime are getting figures, sans Makeshift (a second Wheeljack could work for him) and Unicron (for obvious reasons). Hell, Cliffjumper technically got two molds (and a repaint) although he didn't even last the first half of the premiere episode, despite being highly promoted and given The Rock as a VA, and Skyquake is much in the same boat as he got offed in one episode and pretty much was a zombie for much of his last appearance.

The first four never existed, I'll give you that, but the others don't count because they did see release in the original toyline. The re-issue line doesn't count since they aren't the original line as a whole anyway.

I'm pretty sure Classics goes without saying, since you forgot all the Autobot triple changers, all the Wreckers, a good portion of S3, the other two Rain makers, SUNSTORM, etc.

In what part of the game did Omega Supreme CLONE himself enough times to warrant two separate figures? I must have missed that scene during the two-part battle.

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    It supposedly drives some Japanese consumers crazy that the Transformers with Jetmodes are not always bigger than the cars.