don't you hate it when you see a item on ebay, but the shipping is double+the price

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Tigermegatron, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

don't you hate it when you see a item on ebay you like but the shipping is double+the price.

recent example: Botcon cyclonus,the seller wants $15.30 in shipping fees.
    we both live in america.

No I haven't bid on the item & most likely won't.

I buy & sell all the time on ebay. shipping fees for a botcon cyclonus that is in a voyager sized box. ships out thru the post office for around $7.75 using 3 day priority mail services.

it appears the seller has a shipping address type calculator on his auction. that measures distance+pounds of the package then calculates the shipping fee thru ebay.

I live in newyork & the seller lives around WA somewhere. shipping fees was calculated thru the ebay shipping calculator for me is $15.30.

Just for fun,I entered a california 91789 zip code to see how much the ebay seller wants from CA 91789 to WA. The seller wants $11.90. which is more than double than it cost to ship this item thru the usa post office priority mail services. at best since both states/zip codes are so close to each other,the usa post office shipping fee should be under $6 dollars using the 3 day priority mail services.

It appears this ebay seller has entered into the weight category that this item is about 8 to 9 pounds. thus tricking the ebay shipping calculator into charging the buyer more.

I have a scale I use to weigh packages when I sell stuff on ebay. the average beastwars ultra sized figure weighs about 2 pounds with the shipping box included.

2. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The seller could have also included a large handling charge. 15.30 is really pretty high, but not uncommon.

I've reported a few auctions for excess shipping but its usually when they charge 40 or 50 on a deluxe figure and they are located in the states like myself. I report these because they are obviously trying to circumvent fees and if i have to pay fees everyone else should have to stick to the same rules.

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    THis! many from what I have observed have turned to shipping to recover the fees they would h ave to pay on the sale price. I do not fully blame them but its against the rules.

4. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    yeah the problem here is ebay allows folks to include a "handling fee" and never ever have defined what excessive handling and shipping charges are...until they bolt it down like amazon does and tell you what the max you charge for shipping on each type of item you sell it this will continue to happen...

but then ebay also drives this shit to happen to by charging fees out the ass on everything....insertion fees...final value fees...paypal fees....so i also can understand why sellers do it....

I don't think it's right but i understand why they do it..

when i sell on ebay i always charge about $1 to $2 above cost of postage to cover tape, packing materials, etc.

5. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    plus never trust that damned calculator....goto the USPS site directly and use their site to calculate the cost of postage....i set a few auctions up to figure EMS by dimensions and poundage and some poor guy in england sent me a message saying it would run $75 EMS...did the same figures in the USPS site directly and it came up with $43 EMS...so that damned calculator is screwy.

6. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

thank you sir,that's a great tip to know.

7. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are lots of sellers out there trying to gouge people on shipping but what annoys me is buyers that expect "exact" shipping costs that is on the label. I'll always try to recoupe my Ebay/Paypal fees and cost of time and materials in my shipping. If you aren't then you are a sucker.

The free shipping option is for sellers who are schmucks since that is the portion Ebay doesn't get a cut of.

8. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

tell me about it. there is a G1 crytal roddy I want but shipping is 40.00!!!!!!!!!

9. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Meh it's just to get out of paying eBay their retarded fees. As long as the starting bid is 99 cents or lower, I don't care. I wish more people would do it to send eBay a message. So far, their only response has been to raise fees.