Don't sell, sell now, or sell after movie is released?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I will have been with my current employer one year as of April 4th. I'll be getting a pretty significant raise at that time. It should be about $400 a month after taxes. The car I'm driving now is a 96 Chevy Beretta. It's old and junky, but it's paid for. It's nice not having a car payment. I could go out and buy a car, but the kind I want would be $400 a month with only a small down payment. Thus making me have a nicer car, but no extra money each month. I could save up, but I'll only be able to put back about $5,000 a year if I stash it all back. It would take a really long time to save up enough to buy the car I want and I don't think the Beretta will last that long. Nor would I want to drive it for that long even if it did. So I need some pretty significant cash now to put down.

On top of that, there is a time sensitive investment I want to get into. I'd like to put about $2,000 into it. It is low risk and has a good chance of turning into $10,000 in 5-7 years. Plenty of money, but again too long to wait to buy a car. If I put the money into that as soon as I save it, that's $2,000 less to put towards the car, thus making it a longer wait to get the car. I really don't want to forgo this opportunity as it has a huge potential for profit. So I need $2,000 without hendering my purchase of a car.

Needless to say, at only $400 a month, I just can't save up as much as I need to in a short enough period of time. These factors are making me seriously consider selling my entire collection of TFs. I've sold a bunch already, pretty much only keeping G1, BW, some alts, MPs, and classics ( with a couple Tits mixed in ). I look at guys like 100% complete Metroplex or still walking 100% complete Omega Supreme and know I could get up to $200 for each of them. However, I need them to have my G1 collection complete. Plus, I could save that up in a month after my raise, so it's hard to justify selling them. If I sell any G1s, I'd have to sell them all. It's easy to look at a figure or two and just say that it didn't cost a significant amount. But when I look at the total for selling all the guys like Metro, Omega, Anime Astrotrain, Sunstorm, TFC Prime, Megs, Soundwave, Blitzwing, etc.., it adds up to quite a bit of money.

I'm trying to decide what the magic number is. The dollar amount that would make me say, "Ok, that's alot of money. I've got to sell them." I want to keep them all, but I have more important things I need money for. However, it has to be a significant amount to be worth parting with. I like my TFs, so it wouldn't be worth selling them if I don't get enough to put a dent in my financial plans.

What do you guys think? Should I just keep them? Should I sell them now? Or should I wait til the movie comes out to decide? I think there will be a wave of nastalgia that will come after the movie and it will drive the price of some of these rarer pieces through the roof. Not only that, but these other problems may have solutions by then and I could keep them. Or the investment opportunity may take off early and I'd get in too late to make any real money.

I guess I need to make a detailed list of what I have and start checking prices to get a ballpark for what they'd bring now.

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I've been in your situation before and I decided not to sell.

What keeps me from selling is that I ask myself, "Will I hate myself 10-20 years down the road for selling?" and I always answer yes. So I just put it off and enjoy my collection. Now most of my stuff is G1 and would take a long time and lot of money to replace, so that also plays a factor.

So ask yourself is it worth it and will you regret it afterwards. Will you tell your grandchildren, "I used to have all these cool toys from when I was a kid, but I sold them" I give myself that guilt trip occaisonally to make me keep them.

3. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I've asked myself that. Thing is, I like 300+hp V8 rear wheel drive manual shifter cars more than I like TFs I think. I'm not sure though... That's where this decision gets tough.

4. 1UpCheatachu

1UpCheatachu Lemony Fresh TFW2005 Supporter

If I had to choose, I wouldn't sell. Why? My mom says my collection can help me pay for college. :D 

5. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I'd hang onto them... I'm still kicking myself over selling things I've sold off before...

With a raise coming up, I'm sure you'll be able to afford a nice car... Look at it this way, a $400 raise is still a car payment a month +$100-200 bucks...

6. Laquah

Laquah Wanna be a Canadian Idiot TFW2005 Supporter

and how much will a car like that cost you in gas each month?

Now I did sell off all my G1s and I don't miss them and they paid for my car at the time so I say go for it.

Of course My Botcon beasts and complete US/Jap BW collection isn't going anywhere :D 

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    you can always collect them back if theyre loose.

vroom vroom.

i dont wanna be that guy trying to look cool in a cool car when im too old for it.

8. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Methusalen, the kind of car I'm talking about can't be bought for $200-$300 a month. It would take the whole raise to buy it. That's why I'm hesitant. My whole raise going into the car, plus being that far in debt again is not something I'm looking forward to.

Laquah, it wouldn't be so bad in gas. I don't use much as it is because I just drive around town. This car has a feature where it shuts down half the cylinders at highway speeds to save gas. It gets like 30 mpg on the highway. I can just reroute my drive to work to the expressway and it'll be fine.
    I also appreciate that you did this yourself and don't regret it. Though you obviously care more for BW than G1. I'm the other way around and I don't think my BW/BM collection is worth all that much.

KA, you have a good point. I could just recollect later if I chose to. Especially when/if that investment pays off. That alone would be more than I'd probably get for everything.
    And I'm not getting the car to look cool. I just like horsepower. *grunts like Tim Allen*

If I decide to sell, should I wait for the movie? Do you guys think it will drive prices up?

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    KA is right on the money. You're not losing your collection permanently. Part of the fun of Transformers collecting is just that - the hunt and the collection of new and different figures. If you sell off some stuff now to purchase a car, you can always wait a few years and go after those you sold off.

Think of collecting not as a "working towards a goal" project, but as waves - there could be years where you'll have a large amount of Transformers, and then there could be years where you'll only have a few, depending on if you decide to sell and how many get sold.

The take-home point, in my opinion, is that yeah - TF's are a quick source of disposable income as well. You can cherish them if you wish, but they're also another way to quickly make cash back.

10. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What kinda car are you looking to get?
    Can you buy a pre-owned version for less than $400 a month?
    Can you buy an equivilant for less than $400 a month?
    I say if you can meet your driving need with the raise alone, then there is no need to sell off ony of your collection.

11. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Cars are fun, but they are a horrible investment. Keep your Transformers, hold off buying that car until your current car dies or has some particularly spendy repair, invest your money, save for the car you want, and borrow (or buy) a copy of "The Millionaire Next Door".

12. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Dude not to be a pessimist but think ahead, like if you were for whatever reason to lose your job, get demoted etc... where is the buffer zone where you would be able to stabalize yourself till you find a more permanent solution? If you use your entire raise for the car payment you become dependant on that even in the unlikely event that you lose your job get demoted etc you should think on purchasing a car which would fit outside the buffer zone that your raise is providing you.

13. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I'm wanting either a 2004 or new GTO, 2005 or newer Mustang GT, or one of the new Camaros coming out. Though I may need to buy a car before it's released. Lowest price I've found on either of the two that are available is $18K.

It's not about the investment. I'm sure that I've lost more money buying and selling transformers. My car is old and decrepit and will be lucky to last another year. It has no A/C, so I'd just as soon get a new car now than go another summer roasting in the sun. Sure, I could get a car for only a couple hundred bucks a month, but I figure if I'm gonna go in debt for a car, I might as well get something I want. It's either keep my TFs and buy a cheap economy car, or sell my collection and get something fun to drive.

Buying an economy car now and looking to trade later is a terrible idea. Cars are a poor investment, so whatever I get I plan to keep for a long time. Hence the "buy what I want" statement.

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Coming from someone who is in a similar position right now, I'm actually in the midst of selling my entire collection right now. The distinguishing factor for me is that my hobby became stressful. I wanted everything that I, well, WANTED, or I wanted nothing. I would think about upcoming toys coming out that I felt like I needed to buy, and I would look around our house and see the repairs that needed to be made, or our old junker car that I can't afford to replace, and I came to the conclusion that this is stupid. Our third child is due next month and I'm not in the financial position right now to support a family of five, do the remodeling we'd like to do to our house, AND collect all the toys I want. So the toys are going. I'm selling what I have. It's a matter of priorities. Right now my toy collection causes me zero pleasure. It's dead weight, and it stresses me out to think about all these things worth good money just sitting there collecting dust on a shelf. I can USE new kitchen appliances. I can USE a new tv or car. I can USE upgraded electricity in my house. Those things have more value to me than toys now.

It sounds like my decision was easier than yours since you still sound attached to your toys, but regardless I think you should sell and probably sell sooner rather than later. The longer you drag it out the more time you have to talk yourself out of it and probably ultimately regret it later. Any impact the movie has is probably going to be limited to select pieces more than a broad increase in valuation of all Transformers across the board. I expect it will mostly be limited to the Masterpiece/20th/DVD figures, and certain G1 toys like Optimus/Megatron/Soundwave/etc. But I'm not sure if even that would be worth waiting six months to sell. All of them are already pretty expensive, I doubt they'd go up much more.

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

It's your decision... you want to sell items that you've treasured over the years, then by all means do so. However, there's a strong possibility that you'll regret it later on... but we all do regret things at some point in time or another. If you want to get a new car, you just got to do whatever you could in order to make payments and all... so, it's your decision whether you want to sell your TFs.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    damn straight im right.

hur hur HUR!

that said, a 95 is like damn old and you shouldve done a trade in 5 years ago.

17. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I drive an 86 car. What do you think of that! :p 

18. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Honestly, coming from someone who's gone down that path too many times, don't do it. You will regret it if you still feel any attachment to the toys you're thinking about selling. And at some point, if you want to buy them back, it'll be a major hassle just to get back to where you are now.

And I say this for both possible directions. I've sold guitars to buy toys before. And I've sold toys to buy guitars. And I've sold bikes to buy both, and vise-versa. Over the last three years, I've sort of chilled out on selling and re-buying later. I finally realized that the truth of the matter is, it's not going to kill me to wait the extra six months it'd take to just save up the money or put myself in a position where I can afford the loan I'd need for whatever it is I want and still be prepared to pay it off in time. Sure, in your case, having a nice car would be awesome, but is it worth giving up something you may want back at some point?

I'm going through a debate right now on selling toys that, today, mean nothing to me to help pay for my custom shop guitar that'll be coming down the pike in a little over a month. The decision is based on whether or not those toys will ever mean anything to me, or if they're just taking up space. There's other ways for me to come up with the money, so it's not like I have to sell for that reason. I'd just be sure that I don't want them, and will never want them, before selling them.

No one can know that for sure, but yourself.

If you're going to sell, I'd say the highest point for Transformers sales will probably be right when the movie breaks. That will be the moment where everyone, including people who haven't thought about Transformers in years, will have them on their mind, and that's the best time to try to auction toys if your interested in getting top dollar for them.

19. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1985 representing.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the threadjack.

Personally I wouldn't sell up. The only major TF thing I've ever really sold was my Predaking and that was just before the reissue was announced (and he was missing a fist and foot which I would never be able to find) so that one worked out well.