Don't Make "Transformers Prime" A Simple-Minded Alien Invasion Story

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Spunky, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I've seen this with the Transformers movies. "Some have come to protect us. MOST have come to destroy us." It's almost like the movies are stating that MOST Transformers are bad and are intent on invading earth like in "War Of The Worlds." Then to add to that, I've read rumors that the third TF movie will feature at least one giant Decepticon spacecraft over Chicago "Independence Day" style.

I am getting sick of all the stupid simple-minded alien invasion shit movies like "Independence Day" and "Skyline" and don't want "Transformers Prime" to lower itself to that level. Yeah, I can see some Decepticons and other aliens trying to invade Earth and destroy the human race. But let the bad Decepticons and other aliens be balanced by the good Autobots and other benevolent extraterrestrial races.

"Transformers Prime" already gives me some hope. The tagline for this series is, "Some have come to protect us. OTHERS have come to destroy us." OTHERS instead of MOST! It seems like TFP is not going to lower itself to the shit in the movies where the numerically superior Decepticon forces, who look like bugs, invade in mass numbers only to get their butts kicked by the U.S. military and a handful of background Autobot characters who are guest stars in their own movie.

I'm beginning to wonder if all these retarded alien invasion movies are the U.S. government's way of brainwashing the public into fearing U.F.O.s for some reason. I mean if we have been visited by extraterrestrials for at least 50 years, if they wanted to destroy us, they would have already done so. A "Popular Mechanics" article stated that any race capable of interstellar travel could easily decimate every human on this planet in 24 hours or less. It would be at least as easy for them to kill us as it would be for us to kill a bunch of ants with bug spray and our primitive technology would be completely useless against them. In other words, if they want to destroy us, we're dead FAST! No computer virus or military jet fighter is going to save us. Ok, so "Skyline" does show a fast hopeless situation for the human race. But for what? So they can put our brains into machines? A race that advanced could mass produce as many and far superior brains easily.

2. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

...Uh huh...*Smiles and slowly backs away*...

3. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me, TF has always been an alien invasion story, albeit with the twist of a good team of the aliens at our backs.

But even then, I've always considered the 'Cons superior in numbers, what with cloning Insecticons and Generic Seekers and Reflectors.

An antagonist stronger than your hero is always more dramatic and more entertaining - Animated in particular played this to perfect effect, IMO, and I hope Prime ultimately follows it in that regard.

4. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Maybe present the enemy as stronger, but present the good aliens, such as the Autobots, as being competent and formidable against them and not needing the "U.S. Military Fuck Yeah" to ultimately save the day. In other words, no "Independence Day" shit where the computer virus is replaced by a human-made railgun. I just don't want TFP to depict anything from space as nothing but bad and the main formidable focus while the heroic Autobots are only somewhat important guest stars in their own movie. It should be good aliens vs. bad aliens not the U.S. military or some stupid human punk(s) vs. huge numbers of disgusting simple-minded alien bugs.

5. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Rageeeee!!!! Ragagahgagagaggaggafgahhhh!

I don't think TF: Prime will be like that, we already know Megatron wants Dark Energon, wonder what role DE will play later on...

6. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I stopped reading what you wrote because it clearly has spoilers for the 3rd film. Please add spoiler tags.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The reason they say "most come to destroy us" is because, well, it's true. The Decepticons outnumber the Autobots in both movies.

The Deceptiocns usually do outnumber the Autobots. It's never a simple-minded alien invasion (as said, the existence of the Autobtos alone stops it from being so) but if the enemy wasn't a serious threat than the conflict wouldn't be effective.

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    To be completely honest, no matter what Megatron's specific goal is from continuity to continuity, the overall goal for the Decepticons has always been universal dominance and the only way to do that is to, like it or not, invade and conquer planets and spread their influence.

It's really a defining trait of the franchise. It takes the concept of an alien invasion and change it up. They give the bad guys a reason for it, they have the good and bad guys be the same alien race, etc, etc.

*reads the last paragraph* ......aaaaaaaand, you lost me.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

QF Fuckin' T. "Simple minded" is only a very negative way of describing a storyline that has so much potential for exposition. TF has always been an alien invasion story, but with the very interesting twist of the good faction helping us out.

10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    It already hasn't been.
    It seems a rather intelligent and dignified story of refuge vs. conquest.

11. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Rage + Conspiracy = One very odd OP.

12. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I was actually kind of liking your argument up to this point. To respond seriously, I don't think in any way the government is involved with the film industry's fascination with alien films, unless the government is putting chips in our brains to make us fascinated with the vastness of space and what dwells within it and the public's need for explosion-filled action movies.

And please refrain from answering that last point if your answer is "Yes". The fact that you might even seriously think this disturbs me already.

:lol 

13. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    Seems like OP is an upset alien.

Are you an upset alien, OP? Are you offended by Earth's constant hostile portrayal of extraterrestrial visitors? Because if you are, we could have a massive civil rights case on our hands.

14. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    This thread = wat

Some serious weapons-grade wat. I have never seen wat of this magnitude before.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

16. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Well then open your mind. The U.S. military (part of the government) was heavily involved with both TF films. And they did influence the script according to sources. Ok, they naturally wanted a movie that was favorable to the military since they were donating their time and resources to it. But their propaganda showed through especially in the second one with its portrayal of Obama.

There have been numerous UFO sightings and now even trusted physicists such as Michio Kaku are stating that some of them could be real extraterrestrial craft. And there has been a huge amount of UFO invasion movies and shows lately. Which begs the question. Who knows. I hate alien invasion films myself. And if benevolent extraterrestrials exist with the will and means to help our race, these invasion movies are not helping their cause nor the greater good of humanity by implanting more fear of the unknown in people.

17. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

:popcorn 

18. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

In just about all alien invasion movies, the aliens are not characters at all. They are nothing more than drones, monsters, and cannon fodder. The first TF film in particular was somewhat like that. By giving practically no character development to the heroic aliens, the Autobots, and relegating them to the background, the focus was more on the Decepticon threat than anything else. A threat that the U.S. military was heavily involved in fighting. In the cartoon, the focus was not just on the evil Decepticons. It was on the heroic Autobots as well. The focus was on the PERSONALITIES and HEROISM of the Autobots. Even the Decepticons received some character development and were not portrayed as merely mindless monsterous beasts. The live-action movies, especially the first, were less focussed on the personalities and character development of both the Autobots and Decepticons and more focussed on Sam and skanky Mikaela's relationship and military masturbation. The film, "Independence Day", treated its aliens as characterless cannon fodder monsters with the main focus on the military and the human lead's relationship with his skanky stripper girlfriend.

19. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

1.21 gigawatts?!

20. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I just want something at least a little more interesting and complex than monsterous characterless aliens invading Earth often with no good reason. I want there to be good and bad aliens just as there are good and bad humans. Make the bad aliens complex. Don't just portray them as one dimensional. Make them characters with full character development and give them a reason for being the way they are. Maybe they are in dire straights. Maybe if we were faced with the same circumstances that they were, we would be doing the same thing. Maybe for them it's either invade our world or let their children die.

A good example of complex bad aliens can be found in David Brin's novels dealing with the Soro. Humans would consider the Soro evil because they basically want to enslave us to 100,000 years of endenture as their client race. They want to basically reduce the human race to client status (slaves) with them as our patrons. But you have to understand it from the Soro's point of view. The Soro were once clients to another patron race. For 100,000 years they were endentured to another race as payment for that race having genetically uplifted them from half-sentient animals. For 100,000 years they had to work their butts off as practically slaves earning their right to autonomy with the right to pilot their own starships and uplift other species themselves. Now here comes this young race of wolflings, humans, who never had a patron. They never had to endenture themselves to anyone for 100,000 years earning their right to be autonomous and patrons. Yet they are granted patron status by the galactic federation. The Soro see this as unjust and unfair because how they and just about every spacefaring race came to be is all they know. They, like most spacefaring races who were uplifted, don't believe that natural evolution can produce anything sentient let alone anything sentient enough to uplift other species which the humans have done with dolphins and chimps. They don't see humans as a sentient species nor their chimp and dolphin clients. They fear what their own clients, who are endentured to them, will think knowing that humans never had to earn patron status through the "proper" means of uplift. They cannot understand that the humans are sentient and deserving of patron status. Though we would see the Soro as feudal and enslaving for wanting to make humans their clients, they see it as what is best for our race and for the integrity of just about all other races who were brought to sentience through uplift and 100,000 years of endenture. It's all they know.