"Don't look in the Basement"...

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GingerSynapse, May 20, 2014.

1. GingerSynapse

GingerSynapse Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

The message at the beginning of MTMTE... "Don't look in the basement, don't open the coffin...don't go to Delphi" got me thinking.

Do we know for sure that the Overlord arc was confirmed as the thing that Rodimus shouldn't be looking in the basement for? I thought I read somewhere that Roberts confirmed that, but I'm not sure.

Rodimus admitted to Magnus, and then later (through a conversation Prime during Dark Cybertron), to the entire crew that he was involved in bringing Overlord on board. The message, which was directed to him, specifically, doesn't really make sense. At that point, everyone would know that Rodimus was involved . So it would make more sense if it was "Don't frakking bring Overlord on board."

Any thoughts about this, or can you set me straight?

2. Rung

Rung DESIGNER!!!

News Credits:
    i think you have a point, the whole rodimus brought overlord on lost light because of his ego was silly, probably the message meant the spark eater, because it was because of shock's corpse that was there and redalert started hearing noises. which resulted into the discovery of overlord. i guess once they would find out about "how to make your phase sixer", they'd ejected overlord in space, but things went out of hand.

the delphi was probably the discovery of pharma and what he would end up. and who knows what has happened to him after he was dragged in the portal, i guess we've not seen the last of him.

and as for the coffin... let's see what will happen now that they have opened it.

3. GingerSynapse

Yeah I don't think we've seen the last of Delphi, this is another thing I think I remember hearing Roberts say, but haven' gone back through the threads (and I'm not on twitter) to dig it out.

4. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ginger has a point

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Literally nothing about that transmission feels right anymore.

Don't open the coffin.: season 2 plotpoint. Occurring after they return. Shoudn't someone have passed on the message to Rodimus and co. sometime in the interim?

Don't let them take Skids. Let who? Don't let the Lost Light take Skids? If they didn't pick him up, Tyrest's plan would have succeeded. The Tyrest gang, in accordance to the RiL solicits? If it weren't for them, he wouldn't have found out about that part of his backstory nor would he have ventured to that weird place on the other side of the portal; there was literally no negative consequence to that.

Don't go to Delphi. Wait, don't pick up Fort Max, First Aid, or Ambulon? If the speculation is true there's going to be another visit and consequences beyond what we've seen so far, shouldn't the message say "back to Delphi"? If what's to come has anything to do with Pharma's MIA status, it'd make a lot more sense to say "Arrest, don't shoot him" instead, since going to Delphi had some positive consequences that it'd be stupid to pass up even with foreknowledge.

And do not — I repeat do not — look in the basement. Thread subject. Need not say more.

6. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

Do we know if the sender of the message was actually looking out for the greater good, or some ulterior motive...?

7. TF14

TF14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The reason nobody was able to pass on the message to the crew of the Lost Light was simply because nobody heard it.

8. Rung

Rung DESIGNER!!!

News Credits:
    oh CRAP! i just came up with another crazy un important theory... all these places initroduced us a bunch of characters... skids...firstaid, getaway, who all seem to be part of the new main crew of the S2... did all these mean that, if you do this, this and this... MEGATRON WILL COME ON BOARD and rodimus will die... eh... yeah, i know... stupid.

9. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Don't take Skids and don't go to Delphi always kinda pointed to Tyrest to me. If they hadn't gone to Delphi Pharma wouldn't have been Saved from dying in the snow by Tyrest, and had the Lost Light not picked up Skids the lost light wouldn't have been attacked by legislators. I really hope most of the warnings haven't come to pass other than the basement as they were mostly easily sorted.

10. Faizan

Faizan 2 of 12

Hmmm wasn't there some confirmation (from Roberts) that the coffin, skids and Delphi point were all season 2 plots? With regards to Delphi it could just be that First Aid was incorrect about why the disease doesn't spread but what if it manifests later into something that will impact the crew?

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Small price to pay for doing something that helped to prevent killing off half the cybertronian populace. Who'd warn against that?

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

Well maybe some bad consequences have yet to come from Skids going through the portal if only for a second, maybe he will in some way be taken similarly to how pharma was taken. There is still quite a bit about the remain in light arc that is still a mystery

13. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am going out the limb. Which basement. The one lost light or Delphi.

14. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overlord was talking about how there was someting underneath Aequitas on Garrus 9 that he wanted access to. Has Roberts ever verified the basement warning has come to pass? It could still happen.

Anyway, like I said in another thread: I feel Dark Cybertron might have ruined the message. I'm not sure DC was even in some level of development when MTMTE #1 came out, but the message feels like/implies the Lost Light had gone on a hellish voyage, probably never returnlng to Cybertron, while in fact they pretty much took a 6 month break at homebase because of DC.

It makes no sense to send the message now as:
    -most of the warnings have not yet come to pass, so it would make it easier to send it back in time to post Dark Cybertron.
    -if some of the things did happen at least two warnings (Delphi, Skids) occured differently from how the message describes them, or were less grave than implied.
    -Actually not starting the voyage would mean Tyrest had simply wiped out half of all Cybertonians, as none of the crew's involvement would have changed that plan which was already in motion.

I'm waiting on the day this will finally be revealed! :) 

15. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the warnings were more likely an attempt to prevent a chain of events that occurred because they had done these things (like going to delphi, taking skids, opening the coffin and looking in the basement). So these events might not have been disastrous themselves, but together it lead to some sort of disaster in the future.

16. GingerSynapse

That's my thinking as well. I know on several threads people have said that the whole Overlord thing was related to "the basement", but I just don't think that's the case, specifically because Rodimus brought Overlord on board, and then admitted it to everyone (reiterating my point here), so the message doesn't make sense. I'm sure it will all tie together in the future, but for now I'm entertaining myself trying to puzzle it out.

17. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    overlord is related to the basement, but in a different way. gerras-9 one floor under aequitas, maybe.

the real reason for the message is foreshadowing of events to come for the readers benefit really

18. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think whatever Overlord is blabbering about what Aequitas was hiding would definitely prove to be a future plot point.

19. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I think Dark Cybertron both messed up the plan for the message, and has also given Roberts an out. With all Shockwave's time and space altering shenanigans he can easily call 'Alternative time line. The message came from another dimension' or some such.

Or, another idea I've had, the entire message relates to season 2, the message was meant to be sent to the Lost Lights second launch, but overshot and Rodimus is still in charge when it takes off but leaves almost straight away afterwards.

20. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was that one of Rung's models that was in the last panel when the message was playing? If so, I think we have identified WHO sent the message.