Don't get me wrong, I love Shockwave, but . . .

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jtscribe, May 23, 2011.

1. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

I have to nominate him as the most popular character who doesn't really DO anything. Now obviously if you include the Marvel comics he's very much involved (maybe this is a root cause of his popularity?) but in the cartoons, what does he do, really? He didn't make more than a handful of appearances.

What do you think? Do you regard anyone else as popular do-nothings?

2. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Marvel Comics (which are, IMO, far superior to the cartoon) Shockwave is THE G1 Shockwave. The cartoon one was, for all practical purposes, useless. In 4 million years, the best he could do was keep the status quo on Cybertron, waiting for Megatron to return?

Marvel Shockwave was leader of the Decepticons from issue 5 ALL THE WAY UNTIL issue 39 when Fortress Maximus took him out and Ratbat took over. Megatron was more a background character who was building up troops to take back leadership, but it fizzled out in issue 25...

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Talking about Shockwave while trying to exclude the comics isn't really even worthy of a thread.

In fact, talking about G1 at all while excluding the comics is largely the same situation.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    You just made the point of your own thread worthless. Bravo?

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A thousand times yes. "ARE ALL DEAD" anyone?

Though I would still point out Corey Burton's outstanding vocal performance in the original series and Animated. Such that his TWO lines in TFTM were always among my favorites as a child.

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    The comic versions of Shockwave negate this thread entirely. Marvel Comics, Dreamwave, IDW....

7. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's very strange. Burton's vocal characterization was very memorable, but he didn't actually DO anything.

Another example is Blaster who was an amazing character in the comics but pretty much a lame stereotype in the cartoons.

8. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Also, he's the main bad guy of DOTM, that must count for something.

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    He also did quite a bit in Animated, in fact he was integral to the overarching story.

--Moony

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Once again, someone has posted what needed to be said. Convenient really.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Agreed and agreed. What does nobody count the comics?

12. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Did Shockwave die in Transformers:The Movie? I read that it was originally intended for Shockwave to die in the scene where Unicron is attacking Cybertron, but they never outright say that he died.

13. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I thought his Animated portrayal was one of his best appearances ever. Loved the idea of Shockwave as a double agent.

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Man, fuck the cartoon. The comics was where it was at, and Shockwave proves this in spades.

15. GrandMaXimus

GrandMaXimus Party in my tummy!!! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Enough said.

[​IMG]

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He dies in the script, and quite conspicuously never appears again. Since the Autobots moved into Cybertron and the Decepticons were exiled to Chaar (somehow...I guess we are supposed to assume that Unicron wrecked the Decepticons on Cybertron very thoroughly), Shockwave's traditional role in the animation stories disappeared entirely.

Interestingly, Simon Furman wrote a series of comics that take place after the movie in which Shockwave is leader of the Decepticons and giving Rodimus Prime's Autobots a rather good drubbing. As I understand it, Cyclonus, Scourge, and Death's Head assassinate him (barely) giving Cyclonus and Scourge joint leadership. But then, the three of them are exiled to the past, leaving Soundwave in charge. (In an interesting flip-flop, Cyclonus and Scourge wind up forced to ally with Shockwave-in-the-past, but they let slip that they kill him in the future. Shockwave sics a mind-controlled Megatron on them and tears them apart, but then goes mad over the fact that in so doing he altered the future.)

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Logic dictates that Shockwave is boss, Marvel Comics, Energon and Animated all total badasses,

Can't wait for DOTM Shockwave.

18. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's strange that the cartoon version was so different in character. We were given a small glimmer of hope... By the way he said "Have a safe journey Megatron" but it didn't amount to anything.

19. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I personally think Soundwave should hold the honour of "most popular character that didn't do jack diddly", though I haven't read the comics, so it's highly likely I'm wrong.

20. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    He appears in the 1984 pilot, even though the toy didn't come out until 1985.

Also, the character write-ups in the cartoon's show bible are usually trimmed down version of Budiansky's character write-ups (which were shortened for the toy's on-packaging bios and appeared in full in the Marvel TFU profiles). Shockwave's bible write-up is completely different from the toy bio/TFU version.

There's two possibilities:

1) Budiansky had originally conceived a different character for Shockwave, but then the toy was postponed for a year and Budiansky completely revised his original idea, but the cartoon went with the original version.

2) Because the toy had been postponed, there was no Budiansky write-up available yet, so the cartoon crew pulled something out of their ass.

Considering what everyone else in this thread has said, you are, yes.