Don't Fear The Reap-AINT!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've been thinking ever since I got Rollbar and Ricochet...

We now know that ALTs are fair game in the straight up repaint department with the addition of Rollbar and Ricochet... And for the sake of argument, let's put Sunstreaker in too (although Dead End in my mind is the repaint...)

From what I've read on here, a lot of people are skipping Rollbar/Ricochet because they're not major characters and there aren't any remolds on them... With the SMALL exception of the SLIGHT structure change on Ricochet...

I for one will get all of them regardless of repaints or remolds... ALTs and BTs are exceptions to my NO REPAINTS rule...

But my wallet REALLY does fear the fact that Hasbro MAY go all out with the straight up repaints of each mold... And you know what that means...

Subaru WRX: repainted...
    Dodge Viper: repainted...
    Jeep Wrangler: repainted...
    Chevrolet Corvette: not repainted... At least not a true repaint...
    Ford Mustang: not repainted yet...
    Honda s2000: not repainted yet...
    Mazda RX-8: not repainted yet...
    Acura RSX: not remolded or repainted yet...
    Scion xB: not remolded or repainted yet...

I didn't include the Corvette because technically, Swerve is a remold because of the head... I'm talking about straight up repaints here...

So with that count, we're looking at a potential 6 more straight up repaints of existing molds... Now granted whether Hasbro will or will not go all out with the repaints, that's anybody's guess... But if anyone were to look at their track record on repaints, I'd say it's highly likely that it will happen... Maybe not for all of the molds, but definitely some more...

One of the questions for me is where will they come up with characters to throw onto these molds like Rollbar and Ricochet... If they do end up repainting all of the existing molds, I'd prefer to have them be Decepticons, but they'd have to get a little creative there... Or not as with the case with Rollbar... But with the existence of Decepticharge, who can say that they won't come up with new names for these repaints???

Just some thoughts I've had... I'm sure I'll think of more... :thumb 

2. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    In most cases I won't buy the straight up repaints because there is so many other figures I want to get. IMO Rollbar and Ricochet don't really bring anything new to the table and are too minor for me to care. I didn't buy the TRU Ricochet reissue when it was released for the same reason.

One thing that has me curious is the contracts that Hasbro has with the auto makers. I am sure the reason we are seeing so many cars reissued is that Hasbro probably has to release that car model at least once a year (speculation on my part) to keep the car manufacturers happy.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definately need more Decepticons. 15 vs. 5 just isn't fair.

4. Razerwire

News Credits:
    That is a valid point given what we've heard about Subaru when they first signed on... I do believe that was the reason why Smokescreen GT came to be...

We would have to consult NM on that...

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think its a very slippery slope for Hasbro to go down. Walmart is now finally stocking Alts again after what 6 months (or more). TRU still has stacks of Btl Ravages, Windchargers, Shockblasts and Wheeljack (to a lesser extent) and now there trying to squeeze in the latest releases.

If Hasbro starts doing more straight repaints that the fans are at most luke warm about, it will only make matters worse and cause stores to stop stocking them again.

What I would like Hasbro to do is change the case ratio so that new molds come two per case and the other two are either another new mold, or a mix of a new repaint and one older figure that sold well.

6. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That could be one reason. Or its also to get a better return on the time and money invested in securing the licenses from the manufactures. Im sure the licensing agreements include wording to the allow for repaints and remolds.

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I generally tend to go for the deco that I prefer for Alts. The only ones I have two of the Mustangs, and Viper Comp Coupes. (Never did pick up the SRT 10) One of each of those, is a custom. The only one I wanted both of, was the S2000. Did I ever see a D-charge? Oh hell no. :banghead

Honestly, I'm surprised that we haven't seen a repaint of Sideswipe. It'd be neat to see another remold as the production version coupe, though.

8. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I fear repaints when they make the character look like he has a coke habit.

Also, when the mold is falling apart. (Looks at BTA Alert.)

-XCN-

9. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not just in Alts either.
    I really like the look of Cyb Swindle.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the color choices less for Cyb. Swindle, but the overall color scheme is much more unified than Hardtop.

11. Razerwire

News Credits:
    DAMMIT SW, THIS THREAD IS ABOUT ALTERNATORS!!! :stick: 

12. Soundwarp

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pffttt Alts suck! :ev: 

13. Razerwire

News Credits:
    YOU suck!!!:p 

In fact your name should be Suckwarp!!!:lol 

14. Soundwarp

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True, but the G1 homage :D 

15. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yup, if they're gonna throw repaints at us they should be Decepticons. That'd probably entice more fans to go ahead and purchase them just due to the excitement of actually having more baddies.

16. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

They still have some G1 names left they haven't used from the Minibots, Throttlebots, or the Omnibots. I added my thoughts on possible repaints below in bold, although I'm not sure what names they can no longer use from these series. Sorry for mostly listing Autobots here, but that's all I've purchased of the Alternators line so far. They need to get that sub-line of non-automobile alts for Decepticons out of limbo.

Others not yet out in the first mold:

Dodge Ram: remold as Hoist, straight repaint (with a new head) as Gears or Trailbreaker (or some form of that name)
    Ford GT: Dragstrip and/or Blurr
    Honda Civic: Frenzy of course

17. Razerwire

News Credits:
    The Overdrive one would be tricky since Takara already used that on the Honda s2000 instead of Windcharger... Only way that would work would either be if Takara discontinued the BT line or if they don't do the repaint...

I was just thinking though... For the Corvette, they had the yellow Tracks... They could call it Freeway, despite the fact that Freeway wasn't yellow... Could be Backstreet as well... But since we got Rollbar in orange, I'd say anything goes now... They could throw on a yellow Ravage head and call him Steeljaw...:p 

Takara also put out the red Mazda RX-8... Chase would be nice...

18. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

That would suck if we get just straight up repaints. I would probably skip most if not all of them. It would really have to be an awesome repaint for me to consider it. I may consider picking up Ricochet because the car mode is nice. By the time they come over to NYC, I'm hoping the white nose will be painted.

I would rather save my money and space for new molds and A-List characters.

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    For some reason I'm having trouble hunting down a gold metallic Sharpie to cover up Ricochet's nose...

I thought about something else though...

If the Alternators were not numbered, would people want the repaints even less???

For me it's a tough call... I think I would get all of them regardless of whether or not they were numbered... But I can definitely see some collectors not buying them all if they weren't numbered...

20. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Do you think a regular marker would do the trick? The problem is finding the exact color I guess.

Only the hardcore completists would really care about the numbers. I think most of us just buy whatever they like.