Donations to TFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Apr 17, 2012.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Yeah, I know this thread isn't going to end well... but, I figured. "Might as well..."

So, personally I find that the donation perks, although give mild incentive... really don't apply all that much, even if you -are- on TFW constantly and want a couple of bonus features here and there.

However, I feel like donations should be rewarded with something more tangible.

Now, I know awhile back we had T-shirts in the works? Slash floating in the pipe-line...

I also vaguely remember we had some TFWmus prime figure in the works?

So, what do you all think?

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think people should just donate because it's a contribution to a place that provides a place to grow upon a hobby they love and an open forum to discuss and make real friendships with people who share those same common interests.

Those things alone are more valuable than any stupid perk that can be given, and people take it for granted. This site. This bandwith. None of it's free.

Edit: Hell, if you want to see what this board has given to people, look at this thread:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...-transformers-how-has-affected-your-life.html

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I didn't donate for the perks. Perks are always nice, but it's not my motivation. TFW has given me a lot in the sense of entertainment and friendship; those are much more meaningful than anything else. I'm sure I'll donate more as time progresses as well.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Shoot, I've been meaning to just for a larger avatar. :p 

5. daelite20

daelite20 autobots

News Credits:
    Donation: to give without receiving nothing in return.

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kind of nullifies the point of taking donations if they have to spend money for every person that donates.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I donated so I could be a fast track to become a Mod. That hasn't happened yet and I am most disappoint.

Grr.

;) 

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    LOL. ahh..so that's where's my millions should go towards?! :p  ;) 
    but in all seriousness, donating to TFW2005 is a given for me, especially the fact that I've made some great friendships here. :D 

9. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I made some friends here. I got great info on toys and how to get them. And I made a good chunk of change selling my stuff here on TFW2005. They more than deserve my donation.

Bandwidth, server usage and maintenance is not free at their end.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  10. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    They dont need to waste money on t-shirts I thought we were giving them money :lol 

11. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

I had been thinking about donating for ages but changing my user name is what finally motivated me to. The perks are just a neat little bonus but really had little to do on my decision to donate. I have used the site enough the last decade that I felt i should throw something their way.

12. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You get access to the real Fuzzy World, not the pale imitation that shows up on April Fools Day. That alone is worth the price of admission.

13. Quicky

Quicky TRANSFORM and ROLL OUT!!!

Ebay:
    I've been thinking about donating recently and probably will when I get paid...money is tight right now.

14. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd watch out. You might be the one expected to divvy out when they see it and want their money back. :lol 

15. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    "Physical" perks aren't really an option. What's the point of having people donate to our server costs and then cut that amount significantly to send out physical items? We'd be running on empty and the money would then not even cover a day worth of running the server. If people want shirts and stuff, they can still get them at TFW2005.com T-Shirts and More! or TFW2005.COM: TFW2005.COM: Zazzle.com Store.

There never was a TFW Boombox figure in the works. Not even close. Even if there was, it would not come out of donations. Donations go directly to server costs and site maintenance (such as software and hardware upgrades).

Dontation perks allow for more PM's, a larger avatar, larger signatures, the ability to have your own personal image hosting on TFW, the ability to create Social Groups, and access to a private forum.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It kind of stops being a "donation" if you're doing it especially for the perks. It's those benefits you reap from being on TFW constantly in the first place that should be your reason for giving back, frankly.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I donated because I frequent this site. I'm also a big Radicons supporter. The perks, while nice, aren't really good enough by themselves to justify making a donation. If your sole basis for donating was just for a bigger avatar and inbox, then you're doing it for all of the wrong reasons.

18. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    I wanted to donate, and thought I could as I turned 18 recently, but my parents are telling me I shouldn't get a debit card until I go to Uni :/ Guess i'll have to wait a little longer, although tbh I might actually wait until I go to uni and hopefully get a job

19. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    I didn't have a problem donating as it allowed for some perks like bigger sigs and avatars, added PM storage, and access to the lounge where i've meet some cool people and read some very entertaining threads

But, here's an idea that would be cool but not sure how likely it is to happen....why not make a limited edition T-shirt or something once a year like they do for botcon and sell it or make a limited edition one time only toy of the site mascot Boom Box....I would pick one up if this was to happen as I'm sure many others would as well

20. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    A toy just isn't an option. Not feasible. As I said above, t-shirts are available to those who want them. Very little if any money is made off the sale of the shirts. they're just there for people who just happen to want to sport a TFW shirt. Spending money on creating items that won't sell is not something we're looking into doing.

Donations keep the site alive. Any small amount is appreciated. Anyone who donates is helping to ensure that the site runs as smoothly as we can keep it. Donations helped a little bit in covering the costs of upgrading the server, which kept all of our sites running silky smooth during Toy Fair, our third busiest time of the year.