Don Murphy's "Sunday Rant" about Transformers movie

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Eric, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    You're not gonna believe what he has to say to all the haters, ESPECIALLY Bowspearer.

http://www.d13satellite.com/donmurphy/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13292

2. Astro

Astro Member

New Sunday Post

From Don.

http://www.d13satellite.com/donmurphy/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13292

3. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    a big ugly robot transforming and walking around, won't make it any less ugly

name this movie Mechabots or some generic name and name all the robots after numbers and letters and this movie will be a big hit

but IMO it fails as a Transformers movie

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I totally agree with Don.:thumb 

5. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

I myself just cannot fathom the number of people who are so biased and negative to new things in Transformers. I've experienced it since I first entered the internet TF community back in 99, and it's really blown the coop with this movie. I've got friends who are willing to boycott the movie because Optimus Prime doesn't look exactly like he did in some dodgy early 80s cartoon, and people whining that Bumblebee isn't a VW, and who the director is, and... the list goes on. And I see it here, too.

I'm excited about the movie. I look at the new designs and think, "this is cool." I feel like a kid again when I was at my grandparents and flicked through my grandad's paper one morning to find Transformers The Movie was starting that day... wow.

Maybe I'll be disappointed by the movie, but so long as Bay doesn't try to shoehorn in an inappropriate romance subplot and try to re-write history again like with Pearl Harbour, I'm pretty sure I'll be entertained. He's entertained me in everything else he's done, after all. I'm choosing to have faith in the industry professionals working on the film, that they know what they're doing, and will turn out a movie that is entertaining.

Is there anyone else out there who's thinking there's just too much negativity out there about this project?

6. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Exactly.

No one expected the designs to look "exactly" like G1 Don. But people did expect them to be recognisable as Transformers, which these are not.

Phazer

7. The Phazer

So you were entertained by 'The Island'?

So was I, kind of.

But that doesn't mean it wasn't a spectacular failure...

Phazer

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to agree with Don's post. Everyone complaining needs to calm down and have a more open mind. I for one am savoring every juicy detail of this movie, as it comes out, and I'll be one of the first in line @ midnight opening day to see it.

9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    well said Don

personally i cant see why people are even acting this way

like he said, we havent seen NOTHING yet

10. The Phazer

Apart from what the characters are going to look like and the aesthetic of the film, obviously.

That's actually a pretty major thing.

Phazer

11. dkev

dkev Member

I think Don is right. I loved the original cartoon, but this is not a cartoon. I could care less if Bumblebee is a Camaro, if Optimus has flames or the fact that Soundwave isnt in it. After reading posts here and on AICN, I realy can't believe you people take yourself seriously. This is going to be a fun movie and I'm gonna enjoy it. As for those of you that are blowing a fuse over some of the changes they are gonna make, you desperately need to get a life or seek professional help. Just enjoy the movie for what it is. Also look at the animation of the G1 cartoon. I mean that ranks right down there with Hanna Barbera. And your bitching?

12. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

You mean like Beast Machines Transformers didn't look like traditional Transformers?And these days I've seen the fandom opinion on Beast Machines do a complete 180 from pure viritol to "Hmm the show's not as bad as I thought it was back then".

You mean like the vaunted Transtech line didn't look like traditional Transformers? Yet people drooled when various pics of Transtech Starscream was released and TT Starscream didn't look like G1 Starscream.And seriously,what do you mean by "recognizable as Transformers"?Beast Machines DEFINITELY wasn't recognized as Transformers and a lot of people enjoyed it and still enjoy it.Beast Wars wasn't recognizable as Transformers either yet it's regard as one of the most widely regarded TF shows.Second maybe to G1,but some people say it's BETTER then G1

I was actually going to post this same thread before I checked the board.

I swear this is like the Beast Machines nonsense back in 2000.You'd think that after half a decade some of you would've learned to express yourself a little better.

And some of the more negative naysayers are acting like your cash will make or break the movie.Guess what the movie will succeed or fail without you.And I saw a comment saying how if this movie fails that the more positive people will be clamoring to say "It wasn't because of the designs"Well you know what,it EQUALLY needs to be proven BEYOND a shadow of a doubt that it was because of the designs.And you know what a movie can fail or succeed for various reasons NOT relating to design.It's the nature of the beast.And some people would be wise to remember that

13. Sepultron

Sepultron .

Hmmm... I think I'm starting to like this "Don Murphy" fellow.

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    QFT

15. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree with Don completely, its absolute bullshit how people are taking it, OH NOES THE DESIGNS IN THE LEAKED CONCEPTS AND THE MODEL OF BUMBLEEBEE SUCKZORS!!!@!

stfu, seeing a few stills cannot do justice to how a design will actually feel. How many of you people bitching and complaining about a toy you see picture of on the net, hate them to no end, and then hold it in your hand and love it?

I see that ALL THE GOD DAMNED TIME ON THIS BOARD!

I'm also sick of all the bitching and whining, complain all you want, but do it with some intelligence and some respect, they aren't making the movie for YOU, they are making it for people who don't know transformers.

Cliff Notes: STFU

/rant

16. Mr Grimm

Mr Grimm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm with you. I personally like everything I've seen so far, with the exception of Starscream. The design just doesn't do anything for me, though it is only a toy prototype so far and may well look better in the movie.

I'm having trouble understanding the amount of negativity being shown here and elsewhere. Wait and see! It's not like things haven't been changed before.

17. The Phazer

Yep, like BM didn't look like traditional Transformers. And did so well the line was dropped after one wave of deluxes in most countries outside the US.

This isn't about a tiny section of the fandom. This is about the majority of the movie going public, who are going for those 80s toys.

These are the people who rejected BM out of hand, precisely because it didn't look like "their" transformers. And they're now the key drivers of the movie going public.

Again, these are only tiny bits of fandom, not the general public, who are much more picky about these things.

Phazer

18. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Despite Phazeykins narrow view of what a "Transformer" Should be I think he's completely wrong, these designs (in specific the "Toy" art we've seen) look fantastic and look VERY much like sometihng I would WANT to call a Transformer...

then again, unlike most of the people out there living off of the bile of their hate for the movie, I realize that this is just my own opinion.

19. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    EDIT:

on second thought, I'm closing this thread, you people do WAY to much bitching about this movie, you all KNOW you are going to see it, and you KNOW you're going to love it.

And yes Josh, I know you <3 this thread buddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.