Don Murphy's final post of 2006 - Some minor updates

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shaun_C, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Link

So it seems it's all done now. There's nothing really left other then wait and see the final result next week in the trailer. But more specificly in July '07 when the movie premiers

I actually hope Don learned his lesson in coming to the fandom for input. Next time around it'd be wiser to follow his gut instinct. I'm glad that he understands that a movie full of things fans demand wouldn't be as good as one created by people who know what works.

2. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Got that right.

3. butz

butz slippery when wet

Wow, just 2 posts in ... thats gotta be a record.

4. Shaun_C

Well Bob Skir wasn't a fan and Beast Machines was a fine series.

This fandom is just too diverse and some egos are just too big. The only consensus Don got from the fandom was Cullen as Prime and Welker as Megatron. And even that had it's split opinions.

So if the voice actor issue (which wasn't even a unamimous decision in the online fansbase) was the closest he got to a commonality. That says something.

Don would've been better off just doing his own research by maybe reading a few TF comics to get a feel for 'em. People's biases (as shown by the boards) came into play too often. He would've honestly been better off trusting his own gut or at least better off then by trusting the online fan community

5. R2Going

R2Going Cybertronian Sentinel

Ebay:

They needed to get the robots right and their faces. They failed.

6. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Here's hoping that the trailer more than makes up for the where they went with the aesthetic.

7. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ugh.

8. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Well, this thread went down the crapper quick. Gotta be a record.

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's actually par for the course with the movie threads. They're quickly becoming as taboo as news and politics.

10. Shaun_C

It'll be interesting to see if they cast Frank Welker as Megatron. If they do then the original dream team will be together again after 20+ years apart.

And if not, at least the actor they choose should have a deep imposing voice. Such a voice would be perfect for Megatron

11. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just thinking the same thing.

If this trailer will be anything like I think it'll be, it will go like the following.

The Yankees and Red Sox had a 5 games series this season. Boston fans were talking their usual crap. The Yanks took the series 5 games to none. Red Sox fans didn't have the guts to congratulate us. They didn't even show their faces for a while. They were afraid to admit they were BoSox fans.

I hope the same happens with the movie trailer. The haters won't even show their faces. Or they'll admit it. Either or is fine.

The way Don is hyping this, this trailer is an Xmas gift in itself.

12. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

Movies are not baseball teams and box office returns are not an objective evaluation of quality like a team's performance is. Whether the movie bombs or surpasses Star Wars it won't change my opinion of their artistic direction. But, if they can make a lot of money off this movie, more power to them; I hope it does well and uplifts the franchise. Star Wars had a similar resurgence in popularity when the prequels came out, and I thought they were terrible films, but I still like Star Wars and appreciate that a lot of new stuff is available that wasn't before.

However, I will not "hide my face" because something I didn't like going in turned out to be a success. Furthermore, I am not talking "crap" about the movie. I'm sure the production values are very high and the actors and designers are all professionals. However, I don't appreciate that anytime someone who disagrees with the movie's direction posts their opinion, people on the opposite side declare that the thread has suddenly "gone down hill". People can have their differences and dislikes and still be professional and respectful to one another.

13. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

I think that is mostly due to the OP's continual superiority complex over the general TF fandom and his extremely bias opinion on the movie and the people involved in the movie.

But thats just a guess.

14. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

That is infinitely more important than loyalty to an 80's cartoon could ever possibly be.

If the movie sucks but the designs are true to the cartoon, the movie still sucks.

If the movie rocks but the designs carry their own aesthetic, the movie still rocks.

It's really as simple as that.

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
  16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, that confirms that it's full-on post-production now. I wonder if footage'll leak from the first director's cut.

I'm prepping the "You Instantly Gratified Vangelus With Your Hilarity" medals as we speak.

17. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good stuff, bring on the 20th!

18. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I'm still thinking this movie could well bomb in Germany not because of how good or bad a movie it is, or because of how much it might or might not deviate from the G1 cartoon, but because of the NAME.

People will hear "Transformers", think "Stupid children's cartoon from 20 years ago" and decide they "don't want to see this shit".

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That goes for people in any country. Hopefully decent trailers and advertizing will sway people to want to see it.

20. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I think that's part of the reason why the teaser, and $20 says the upcoming longer trailer, make a very blatant effort to emphasize Bay's name. Not even all of Bay's movies have been so obvious about it and yet, it's "Transformers: A MICHAEL BAY film" in the teaser.

The public equates Bay with "silly, but semi-serious, big, loud action movies with lots of explosions (and token car chase with questionable physics)" not "silly kids' cartoon from 20 years ago turned live-action movie." If this was "Transformers: A Robert Zemeckis film," it'd be a harder sell.

Then again, Germany..U.S..wherever, there's probably people that hear Bay's name and decide they "don't want to see that shit," but that's another thread..or two..or thirty.