Don Murphy producer post

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

All I got out of Murphy's rant was that he is really self centered guy who takes the criticism personally for some reason but then says it doesn't effect him. lol

Look this is the thing the whole point about bringing about good ideas is to second guess things some people are good at it some not. Im sure he is guilty of the same exact things but lets face it the reality is his job is to take cherished items of peoples past and bastardize them for hollywood. That is really what it is cause if it can make something more money they will make that ugly girl a pretty girl etc etc.

To say he is right because it made billions means to me he was only lucky that ILM was doing the CG because you cant sell that movie or movies with out it looking as real as it did. You just believe they are on screen even from TF1 and on and that is worth the price of admission alone.

My feeling on his post is that it sounds like he is afraid of a reboot more so than there not being one. If a reboot is done and it gets more praise an platitudes I guess it would be fair to feel stepped on as you were the gateway movie to more but then again Transformers is not yours to dictate just in the same way fans want a reboot but its not theirs either.

So you know what congratulations you did bring about something that has been long awaited and that even the buzz before the first one showed up in theaters there was going to be box-office smash and it may have been an uphill battle but you got it done.

So stop bitching post film as people are allowed to dislike the direction the films went especially since they vaguely followed the transformers tradition and in some cases completely tarnish beloved generational characters in "some" cases. You cant convince people that they should like something just because it sold more money that is just everyone a mindless sheep.

I vote for a reboot as with all the destruction caused on earth there is really only one option left and that would be unicron and honestly Transformers is no good with out cybertron.

2. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

I was liking what he was saying before he started ragging on fans, *ahem* haters(?), who have every right not to like the movies, or nitpick certain aspects they didn't like.

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Who needs a reboot when we have Prime?

4. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Urgh, Murphy's involvement with these movies has essentially being ZERO since the Bay came on board and it became a big studio project. He has no power and influence over anything, as has been demonstrated many times (for example, see his little tantrum insisting that he wouldn't let IDW make movie related comics). He's a D-grade producer that works on D-grade movies. Also the original treatment they tried to sell the movie on was somehow even worse than what we got.

5. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

All of this is true. What makes me laugh at him is his singular attempt to bash instead of justify his product without using dollar signs. That screams "i know its drivel" to me. I think he has a small man complex because he he knows he isnt needed in the production at all. I also agree that a reboot terrifies him. Anyone else who takes everything into consideration (fans, story, characters, multi movie plot arcs) will automatically do a better a job. Taking the material seriously and wholeheartedly is not something you say you do just for PR (which is what this guy's approach is). It something you ACTUALLY do. This terrifies him. Its pretty much REAL EFFING DEAL vs. HACK (what the movies are, ILM, Voice Actors, Actors, and set crew excluded). You cant expose a hack (current movies) unless you have the real thing to compare it to (reboot). He fears this.

6. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not a big fan of Prime. I'd rather have more movies

7. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    i need Movies! IM NOT WATCHING TF Tv shows! MOAR FILMS! need reboot!

8. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A second trilogy based in the same continuity would be most welcome. Bring in a new director and production staff, and there’s no reason why it can’t be a sequel and a reboot. I must admit, my excitement levels will go right down if they announce Michael Bay as the director of TF4. Not that a don’t like what he's done, but I think its time for a different look and feel. There’s no reason why that can’t be achieved with a sequel.

Get Neil Blomkamp (District 9). He would make a killer Transformers film.

Wow! Looks like someone has to do some research about the connection that Don Murphy has with the history of trying to get Transformers turned into a film. Talk about ignorance. Also, funny how you emphasize him not being an executive producer. You do know that executive producers do nothing? Really. I have no doubt he did more than Spielberg over the course of the three films.

My advice: go and watch the trailer and see how close to Michael Bay’s name Don Murphy’s name pops up in the credits at the end.

9. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

maybe, though he may make one thats too sophisticated. i do want some dumb in my transformers movies. dumb as in eye candy action scenes.

10. russf2004

russf2004 Member

I really enjoyed the 3 films they were feel good, action packed & didn't tax the grey matter too much. Yes they had faults but they were what I expected and as a result I enjoyed them :) 

I would love the movieverse to continue, I like the designs & whilst there is a limited to anyones tolerance of Shia shouting "nooo nooo" I would welcome the franchise continuing.

My one concern is that I worry how they can continue without all of the leading 'cons & bringing them back would cheapen DOTM. Would the majority want to watch a transformers film without, Megs, Starscream, soundwave & co?

11. OptimusPrimeX47

OptimusPrimeX47 Well-Known Member

The average viewer who doesn't know much about Transformers probably wouldn't care. As long as Optimus and Bumblebee are in it, they will come.

12. russf2004

russf2004 Member

@OptimusPrimeX47 - I guess so & to be fair I would probably go and enjoy. but as a TF fan I would prefer some well known known cons. Besides what would the heroes be without the villans (maybe Megatron had a point :)  lol)

13. Archaea

Archaea Autobot Archeaologist

Wow. You can disagree with something while remaining a fan. Just because he didnt like something, doesn't make them any less a fan.. You sound a little judgemental sir.

14. Archaea

Archaea Autobot Archeaologist

THIS would be awesome indeed. Neils realism would even outpace Bays, and have a tighter more cohesive story-line.

15. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

I think he would be awesome. He would appreciate the material as well. We need a humble, down to earth person with substance and a sense of character. He is spot on.

16. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

Agreed...and the cgi in District 9 was some of the very best anywhere..he'd be able to continue the TF series' strong cgi also.

17. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That would be pretty cool. I haven't seen all of district 9, but from what I did see, it was a pretty good film

18. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ignorance my ass.

Who gives a crap about Don Murphy, he optioned the right right to make a transformers movie and took it to dreamwave and got them to look at it. That was his role in transformers. After that he gets to hang his name all over the fucking movie.

Whether he is considered a executive producer or "just" a producer it means dick to the quality of the film.

Lets look up what an executive producer does:
    An executive producer (EP) is a producer who is not involved in any technical aspects of the film making or music process, but who is still responsible for the overall production. Typically an executive producer handles business and legal issues

That means they spend money.

Big deal.

Look at Murphy's prior movie cred:
    He helped piss off alan moore and make him take his name off movies based on his properties
    He helped butcher a Quentin Tarantino story
    he helped make fucking Double Dragons

Don Murphy spent some money and helped get the ball rolling on the first transformers movie. As a result of that he was privy to information and used it to flex some internet muscle over the years.

Do you really think he had any actual influence on the movie?

Do you think Michael Bay gave a rats ass if he as on set or not.

I bet that James Cameron had a greater effect on transformers film as a whole while farting around on the DOTM set then Don did over the last 10 years

He, like megan fox, and nelson, have cheapened and damaged the franchise with their petty and childish personalities.

19. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Neil Blomkamp doing Tf4 or a TF Reboot? That would be awesome but I'd rather him be like Quentin Tarantino, a director that does his own thing and doesn't do adaptations. Then again, he could be like Nolan and do his own thing and do awesome adaptations, so either way he would be awesome and fresh.

20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Neil blomkamp would be perfect, except people probably wouldn't like Decepticons being unstoppable.

He would be a great director to bring the "Bad" in Decepticons, but unfortunately in the end, it's meant for kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.