Don Murphy at TransformersCon Toronto 2006 Video Part 4 of 5

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Super_Megatron, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The TransformersCon Toronto website has updated with video of Don Murphy speaking at TransformersCon Toronto 2006 about the upcoming Transformers Movie. This is the fourth part of 5 videos from that panel. You can check it out by clicking here and selecting the videos link. Canada's 6th Annual Transformers Convention is happening April 28th 2007.

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i wish i could go....i'd get to see canada and be at a TF convention at the same time on my birthday....

3. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love to watch this little series.

4. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1 more part to go!:dj 

5. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Great...so because Keanu Reeves made a movie titled The Matrix, the directors automatically rule out using the term Matrix (one of the biggest names in TF mythos history) in the movie and rename it to something that Don says it won't be called. I like the interview idea, but it just seems like he's not really interested in helping fans, just in attempting to stop them from getting mad.

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Well it's called the Allspark now which is an EQUALLY big name in TF History. So I fail to see the problem

And remarks like this are why it was a mistake for Don to open his board to gain fan input in the first place. No matter what he does he's villified in the eyes of the fandom. If he doesn't try he's disrespecting the fans and when does try it's just a crude effort to keep the fans happy

No matter what someone will think something like this :redface2: 

7. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I believe we said it wouldn't be called energon and said nothing about it not being called the allspark?

8. DESTRUCTICON

DESTRUCTICON Banned

Ebay:
    my youtube sometimes kicks out on me which them makes so I can NEVER watch iot whole again. This happened this time. :mad 

Does anyone else have this problem??

9. Zenith Prime

Zenith Prime To shreds you say?

Yes, me! it makes me furious!

10. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    But it's not the Matrix, which this is meant to be. Not the end of the world by any means, but it's something to mention. Remember, just because some fans aren't big fans of all the changes, don't mean they hate the movie.

He's not villified at all by the above poster. He's simply saying it sounds like he's avoiding making fans mad, which it did sound like. It's called this; and this is why we can't call it this, but that's not it's real name anyway. yeahbuhwhat? And mentioning his board in every post to defend him; is not needed, we know why he opened the board.

Anyway, on a brighter note, these videos actually make me think he's much less of an asshole than every other post he's ever made on any board before. bravo.

11. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Same here. Plus, I like Don's outlook even more with each one I see.

12. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

From all the stuff I heard, I thought Don Murphy was gonna come off like Uwe Boll or something similar. Color me surprised because I feel much better now listening to these interviews. Don comes off very much like he has his hands on the pulse of the fans and an ear of the people who write the checks.

By going to the cons and answering these questions, he is going to tbe belly of the beast and facing them head-on; you can help but respect this. So far all his anwsers have come off very logical and reasoneable. If the movie turns out great, Don should be one of the people we thank.

Heh, he really is too used to sitting on a couch or a comfortable chair with armrests.

13. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Here's the thing, the comments he makes are extremely PR sounding. It doesn't sound like he's a fan. It sounds more like he's learned about the story and the characters so that he can work with them. The last thing I saw/read about the Matrix was that the movie equivalent was dubbed the Energon Cube, thus my comment about them naming the Matrix exactly what Don said they wouldn't call it. Some of the thing just seems scripted (anyone who watched the last one probably remembers the kid that spits out that very long, well-thought through sentence that's a little above his age group). While his answers can seem logical, the alternate routes the movie makers could have taken can also be logically explained (and in some cases would have made more sense). It just seems like he made a huge list of possible questions he'd be asked and answered them before hand so he would know what to say.

I didn't mean it to sound like the guy is a douchebag or something. I think it's nice that at least ONE person got out and in touch with real fanboys before the movie is completely finished (even though Bay or some movie worker said they had 20 or so hard-core fans of G1 onboard). I doubt that Don really has much influence as to what will actually happen, as from what I've read on Bay says that he pretty much gets his way. It would be nice though if they had taken a group of say 10 fans from this board who actually LOVE transformers and asked them what could be done better or changed to make the movie more appealing to the fanbase in general so as to avoid such a split fanbase. I really doubt anyone has walked up to Bay or the designers and told them that these designs aren't the best thing ever like they seem to think.

Summary: Great that he is doing interviews, just seems like the interview isn't really impacting the movie makers in any way and isn't really telling fans anything we don't already know.

14. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

It just seems like you haven't actually sat down and watched the 4 parts already put up... or at least with less baggage and expectations.

Don even pointed out (part 3 of the interview) that the fans did have a chance to directly impact the production when they were putting together the script. Also, keep in mind that movie making is not a democratic process. As for robot designs, being a big fan/fanatic about a subject usually means being blind to it's flaws so by going to the pros who just happen to be TF fans on the side to develope them was the right move.

Don very much sounds like a geek. The fact he already knows most of the criticism about the movie just proves that he does have his finger on the pulse of the fans. Of course we shouldn't kid ourselves about the amount of influence he has on teh production but the fact that he has any word at all is a good thing.

EDIT: Man, I really want to see a transformeable CD!

15. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Chris Ryall, director of the IDW comics publishing that currently does the TF comics, frequently reads and comments on his board, and replies to the fan's questions and suggestions.

You ought to read that message board some time... wonder why he NEVER gets replies and flames like Murphy does? 'Cause he treats the property with the respect it deserves. Murphy treats it like a 'toy movie' that needs to be done anew, totally neglecting any of the many hundred issues of comics that came out about Tfs in the past, Marvel, DW, IDW included. Trust, me I read the script - there is ONE SINGLE reference to anything from the comics during the whole script. And even that one is an info easily found in the Ultimate Guide... but if you have read the interview with Orczi and Kurtzmann, you can have an idea how much 'research' they did about previous TF material - they watched a few episodes of the cartoon. If those guy had the magnificient idea that the TF's don't need to talk in the first drafts... well that speaks for itself.

I have currently issues with my sound card and it won't play audio for web-movies... anyone has a quick summary of what Murphy said in these shorts? Just out of curiosity.

16. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's actually a pretty good idea that I already decided to incorporate in 'my version' of the movie script. And it can be done... I have seen a custom CD-Ratbat on the net somewhere...

EDIT:

Here is is! CD Ratbat from TF Master!

http://www.unicron.com/alterations/fan%20made%20alts/tfm.ratbat.jpg

17. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

Thank God they won't call the matrix energon. I was worry about that.

18. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Allspark is not much better, but seeing how this movie will have very little to do with actual G1 continuity, I don't care much. Especially since I know the ending...

You're right in the matter that calling it the Energon Cube would have been plain stupid. Even people who are not TF fans remember those purple glowing cubes that were everywhere, in huge quantities in all TF cartoons. Having the TFs search the whole galaxy for ONE would have seemed stupid even for them.

19. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    I doubt people (other than fans) remember the cubes were filled with Energon.

Up until I started following the TF mythos in English, I always thought of them as "Energy Cubes" (that's how it was translated to spanish back in the 80s)

-airfox