Don Fig's DevArt: Pages from Unreleased Dreamwave Comic

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by tehKOREANdude, Mar 19, 2010.

1. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This makes me sad. I miss Dreamwave.

3. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah - plus I miss fembots. Arcee AND Elita? .... sigh. Oh well.

4. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dreamwave is partially what brought me back into Transformers, RIP :( 
    IDW just doesn't have the same quality, in my opinion.

5. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    I second that. Dreamwave was awesome, their artwork consistent and a story you could really get into.

6. Onslaught Six

Onslaught Six Well-Known Member

Consistently shitty.

And if anyone tries to argue--the guy who drew these very pages is the one making IDW's TFs inconsistent *right now.*

7. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everything... so... chunky...!

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish the whole 'who was paid for what' issue would be solved & IDW would go with DW's story instead of their lame stories.

I still can't figure out why it is so difficult to figure out who didn't get paid. Did DW not keep any records & have the non-paid people not spoken up? Its been years. DW shoud be responisble for paying these people, not Hasbro. Considering any TF story/art should be the property of Hasbro, they should be able to use whatever was created. There should be a legal deadline set for any claims on non-payment. This will finally let them know who wasn't paid. If claims are not recieved by a certain date, the people loose any claim to past due payments.

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Nooo, that would be Pat Lee.

Nooo, that would be the writers.

10. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Not a great arguing point. Don Figueroa isn't the one giving IDW artists the freedom to draw the Transformers in their own style nor is he the one writing the stories. If you have a beef with IDW about their inconsistency in art styles or with the writing, make sure you point the finger at the right person.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It’s nice to get a glimpse of what might have been. Thanks for posting, Don.

12. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    *Sigh* I'm missing the DW comics again now. I was so eager to see how the fembots were to be introduced into the G1 story.

13. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't believe how much love there is for Dreamwave. I can see how they appealed to folks who couldn't see beyond the old cartoon series (what with the constant swiping...er, I mean "homaging" of lines from TFTM and the series), but a good story...? Better than IDW?!?! I think not.

I must admit, I've started to like DW a LITTLE more lately, but the entire direction of the series was flawed.

IMHO of course...

14. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

I miss DW too. Those guys got me back into TF at a time when little else would have. It's total fanwank geewun and it was awesome! I'm not one to bash IDW. I think they've done some pretty cool stuff and I'm keeping up with it, but DW was pretty hard to beat for "amount of awesome per issue".

It's important to remember (as one of the podcasts pointed out recently) that before DW started, there had been no new G1 material for about 14 years IIRC. I'm not counting Beastwars. Back then I don't think many people did.

15. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Wow. So nice to see that art. To be honest, I liked DW when it happened (art and all), I liked IDW a lot more up till AHM, and I stopped reading IDW's series somewhere near the end of AHM.

HOWEVER! Don Figueroa was my favorite TF artist on the DW series, he's my favorite artist on the IDW series. Although I can't say I enjoy the movie-style faces he draws in what I've seen from the current ongoing series, I can very enthusiastically praise his amazing work on the art from the neck down.

Don's art was always good, and it's only gotten better over the years. Looking at those robots' faces in those DW pages and the faces in Stormbringer, and the difference is like day and, er, some kind of even better day. Looking back on this, I can see a lot of Pat Lee's "marshmallow" puffiness in his art.

I hope Don himself will interpret it in the nicest possible way when I say that his art on the Dreamwave ongoing was always my favorite in DW, but he's gotten so good that I can look back on these unfinished pages and remark, "Wow. He's gotten a lot better than this!"

16. Fago

Fago Encore enthusiast

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don should draw EVERYTHING in Transformers. He rocks!

17. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DW knew how to write G1 comics. Much better than IDW.

18. soundwavempl

soundwavempl Toy Addict TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I totally agree with you. Although I was into TFs already, the Dreamwave comics were a much needed refresh for TF comics at the time.

Don Figueroa is my favorite TF artist ever! His Dreamwave and IDW Stormbringer art is breathtaking. He's done so much great art and TF toy concepts. However, he lost me with the style he chose for Transformers Ongoing. Up until that point, I enjoyed his TF artwork immensely.

When it comes down to it, I don't like the artistic direction TFs has taken starting with the 2007 movie. I've liked everything but the movie designs and Transformers Ongoing artwork so far. Transformers War for Cybertron is a step in the right artistic direction for TFs in my opinion.

19. Cekyr0

Cekyr0 Active Member

*sigh* i miss Dreamwave...:( 

20. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I'm already playing catch-up with the IDW comics. Don't tempt me to go back in time even further for the Dreamwave stuff.