Customs: Domestic Tamiya Acrylic Paints = Fail

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by JOHNDILLINGA, Jun 22, 2009.

1. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Lately I have been experencing poor quality with Tamiya Acrylics, I shake the paint then pour a controled amount into another jar I'll mix with water to thin it out slightly but while brushing on they tend to clump up when you go over the first coat after it has dried and in some cases it rubs the first coat completely off! And they gum up my airbrush too much so I stopped using it with them...

And it's 90% of the paints I have bought in the last 3 months from a very busy hobby shop so they reguarly get new batches in.

I went to another out of the way hobby store that sold imported Tamiya paints from Japan which I had none of the aformentioned problems which lead me to contact Tamiya's U.S. offices about the problems with the paint via E-mail.

Also It makes me want to switch off from them if it constantly continues to be a problem.

Also im tending to lean more towards Testors Enamels because of the non gloss finish it has, I don't get brush strokes marks when it dries.

I'd love to try out the Games workshop paints at some point after seeing some of the fantastic results with them I guess I need to get around to getting some.

So has anyone else had problems locally with Tamiya's acrylics?

2. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i have had all the same problems with tamiya as you and i thought it was just there nature. now i am angry the imported stuff is better WTF give me the email i will send in a complaint as well but it will take many moons before the problem is SOLD out if they get enough complaints to fix it that is

3. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

oh and games workshop are over rated in my opinion TOOO thick AND GUMMY however they work ok when thinned waaay down and how can you argue when people like spurt reynolds get awesome results with them

4. JOHNDILLINGA

News Credits:
    Tamiya America Support & Contact Information e-mail link.

I know I see his work and im like dude wtf... lol

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I thin mine down with alcohol and haven't had those kinds of problems since I started doing that.

If I'm brush painting a large area, then I mix it up in another bottle, but if its just little detail stuff, I usually just dip my brush in alcohol and then dip it into the paint, that gives a good enough mixture right there in the brush so that I don't have any problems.

I also try to wait at least an hour before recoating, I know they dry quick, but that ensures that it has cured enough for a second coat.

6. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    The hobby shop near me stopped geting them in and sold off the remaining stock very cheaply. They also had a sign up saying somthing about problems with the paints and saying they'd be restocking after the problems were sorted

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I know you mentioned the hobby shop gets traffic (in fact please let me know the name of it, it's probably closer to me than the one I go to now, and can always use closer supply stops) but, sometimes, I get testors MM which are "broke" where the oil seems to have separated from the pigments/paint - causing the paint to not be as opaque, and kinda "runny" - I shake, stir and mix these to no extent. Only solution I've found is leaving them open overnight to thicken them back up.

8. JOHNDILLINGA

News Credits:
    The place I go to normally is Brownies Pro & Sports Hobbies
    It's 2 blocks from my house I tried to get a job their but they keep it family owned and operated.

here's their main web page:
    Welcome to Brownies Pro and Sport Hobby Shop

9. JOHNDILLINGA

News Credits:
    I've done this method but it seems to be an ongoing flaw in the paint's formula, adding the Alcohol to it makes it like water paint it just runs.

10. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I pretty much exclusively use Testors MM, I can't get anything else to bond to plastic as well as that paint.

Also I think it's weird to hear of people using enamel instead of acrylic...I've always had horrible results using enamels...

11. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

It takes a long time to build up a good coat of paint, which I why I rarely brush paint anymore except for details and highlights, everything else is airbrushed.