DOH! a little toy rant

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by deathonacracker, Jul 28, 2009.

1. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    sorry guys, i had to get this out of my system. it's a tad bit off topic but not in the grand scheme of things. I have the most wonderful girlfriend in the world. she has come to accept my obsession with Transformers and all things related and i cant appreciate her enough.. well, my birthday is next month and she went out the other day and picked up a couple things for me. as soon as she walked in the door she wanted me to open them up... she was SO EXCITED!!! she just couldn't wait until my birthday for me to see the awesomeness that she found. she said i would DIE it was so awesome!!!!

well, i finally gave in and let her give me what she was so happy to have found... it was....it was...

a Health Ledger Joker figure... say whaa? it IS really cool. it's HUGE too.. but... I'm not really a fan of batman toys... if anything, i would have gotten something like this to resell. i cant resell this though because it was a present! one she thought i would LOOOOOVE! she spent $125 on it too which made me almost pass out right there on the couch!!!!

all i could think about was the amount of Transformers i could buy with that much money. i wanted MP Grimlock so badly!!! now i have a giant Health Ledger Joker doll that i cant even take out of the box or the value will drop like my grannies blood pressure after a good shit.

i just don't know what to do now...

2. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Enjoy the fact that you have girlfriend that buys you toys instead of one that hates them. That's what to do.:thumb 

3. deathonacracker

Ebay:
    I know i know. i DO really appreciate that. i just cant help but stare at this toy and wish it were a Transformer. i mean, i can take those out and transform them, i can repaint them. so many options available. I'm not complaining i promise. it's just an odd feeling to have.

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know how you feel. I always wish my in-laws would get me TFs instead of socks. But since this is your girlfriend and not in-laws, and that's really nice of her to buy a toy for you (unless she's a huge Heath Ledger fan herself ;) ). Open it and display it somewhere. Peace in the house is more important than toys. Believe me, I've been married for 12 years, and got lots of socks.

5. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    ^ This.

There's plenty of time to score MP Grimmy.

6. deathonacracker

Ebay:
    lol... she got me socks too.

bitch!

just kidding! yeah, i guess i could take him out. he's badass.. he just doesnt transform. thank god i didnt backhand her.

7. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    That's the spirit!

Hell, I haven't had a girlfriend in close to a couple years now, much less one who buys me toys.:eek: 

8. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    She must not know you too well. Meaning what you are really into, instead of what she thinks your into. I would hold onto it till you breakup. Then sell it.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    These.

10. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Wait, your girlfriend got you a Hot Toys Joker (or so I'm assuming) and you don't want it? Well just send me up a PM once you guys break up :thumb  Haven't you thought of keeping it, I mean there are other good things to buy out there than Transformers and now you have an expensive Joker figure. But that's just my opinion, I think it's better to collect more than just Transformers

11. deathonacracker

Ebay:
    yeah, it's the Hot Toys Joker. I'm going to keep and open it up. we won't be breaking up since we just bought a house and i love her and junk..lol. We're practically married. it's not something that has kept me awake all night and trust me, she knows me very well and knows my obsession to everything transformers. i guess she just didn't know which ones i would want. i wasn't about to tell her I've been eyeing a $130 MP transformer. if I'd known she would spend that much on a toy i would have let her know before hand. it's not that i don't want it, i just think of the cost and how many more things i could buy with it. BUT, it's a gift and i appreciate it so, he's coming out of the box when i get home from work.

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    hmm...this is an interesting thing...on the one hand, she bought you a cool figure, but on the other hand she apparently didnt listen (Assuming you made it clear that you don't need batman figures) to you...

but also, since your birthday is a month away, maybe this is to throw you off the trail? but i can't see spending a ton of money on something to throw you off...unless she's rich...

and one thing you don't wanna do is just rave over how much you like it, or else you'll start getting nothing but bat figures for the rest of your lives...i think maybe you should be honest with her and explain that while its a cool figure, its not exactly what you expected...but at the same time, you don't want to hurt her feelings...

my wife tends to buy me toys every once in awhile, but mostly its when i'm with her and i pick up two things i want, and she gets one of them...though she has been known to pick up things on her own...and if its something i already own, i pretend that i didn't own it and go to my toy room to 'open' it, and then bring out the one i already had...then sell the one she gave me...

also, you should post pics of it...

13. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The hot toys joker is so freaking awesome. You should be proud to own it. All I can say is if you didnt tell her what you wanted you cant really expect anything. I tell my wife and family not to even try to buy me transformers. It's too hard to try and explain what you want and how to get it. I always have them focus on the stuff I forget to buy after I blow my money on toys. Stuff like clothers or shows or a new office chair

14. Lumpy

News Credits:
    maybe show her online at BBTS or somewhere which big ticket figure you're looking at...and continually send her hints and maybe by christmas you'll have MP grimlock...

15. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, i've started doing that too...if the family buys me clothes and stuff, i've got more money for toys... and it is really hard to describe TF's that you want to people...they always gets names, colors, size class mixed up...last toy my wife got me was ROTF mixmaster...and that's cuz i was at TRU with her when i found it and went on and on about how much i wanted it but didn't know if i should spend the 20 bucks on it...so she did :thumb 

and yeah, if its the hot toys joker, that's cool...

16. deathonacracker

Ebay:
    that's a good idea Lumpy. I'll start letting her know what I'm watching on ebay. that way she can at least see whats going on. i showed her Leader Prime when he was released and came home to that a few months ago so i cant complain, that's for sure! she also got me a leatherface statue so she knows what i like!:thumbs2:  it's just a price thing with me i guess. oh well, I'm going to enjoy it once i get the nerve to take it out of his box!

17. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Kitbash it, make it into a transformer.

18. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1) If you're only into Transformers and no other toy line, let her know in a nice kindly way. Don't reference the Joker figure or your birthday, but make it clear that if it doesn't say Transformers on the package, it's not something you're going to be overly interested in having in your collection..

2) Talk to her about what Transformers are coming out and when. Most importantly show her pictures. This will reinforce point #1 as all she'll hear you talking about is Transformers.

3) Definately keep the Joker figure. Opening it or not is up to you, but keep the figure. Definately do not gush or it, or say that you really like it. You're girlfriend will get mixed signals and next you'll end up getting Pokemon or Power Rangers for Christmas.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm in the minority, but I'd get rid of it. No need to keep something around you don't want - that's akin to putting that ugly knicknack your mother gave you for christmas one year out whenever she comes to visit. "Oh sorry mom, it broke" usually takes care of that problem.

If you keep it around and display it, the GF will get the idea that you like it and will buy you more stuff just like it. I would not promote that idea. Thankfully my wife doesn't try this kind of stuff.

Keep it in the box, tell her it's more valuable to keep it that way, and put it in a closet. A few months later it "disappears" after she has forgotten all about it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I say keep it! I like Batman though so, I don't know what you want to do with it.