Dog Meat - Why the Heck Not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nachtsider, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The other dog-related thread got me wondering. Why do people start screaming blue murder and threatening rapine and massacre whenever the subject of eating dogs comes up?

I see absolutely nothing wrong with consuming dogs. Doing so isn't unhealthy. And as for the moral standpoint? You people who say it's morally wrong to eat dogs need to get off your high horses and do some thinking. Why are you elevating dogs above other animals, deeming them exempt from consumption, unlike cows, chickens, rabbits and lambs? That kind of bias is hardly moral.

Discuss.

2. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Three dog threads on the first page. One about burning/torture, one about cuteness and one about eating them. Lots of variety!

3. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm from the US and I agree. It's not like you go into a pet store and say. "Aw that little Chihuahua looks good. Let's get it for dinner." It would be like buying ground beef or porkchops... i don't have any real problem with any kind of meat eating...Dogs, cats, mice, rabbits, chickens whatever. If we got rid of some of our hang ups about waht you should and shouldn't eat, there would be a lot less starving people.

4. Noise Maker

Noise Maker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like dogs. I find companionship in them. I do not find companionship in chickens. Thus, I'd rather eat a chicken.

That simple.

5. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    lol

6. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have eaten a lot of so-called exotic meat: corcodile, camel, kangaroo etc and I have no problem someone putting dog meat on my plate. It is just another exotic meat as long as they don't kick it to death before serving.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm pretty morally inconsistent, so I'm not using this as an absolute argument, just a personal one. But for me, dogs are genuinely different than cows, chickens, etc.

One, they're domesticated predators, so it's sort of our fault they can't prosper in the wild. Therefore I feel a sense of responsibility for them.

Two, I believe in that whole "man's best friend" thing. I just feel our species have a special relationship based on conditioning and duration of association...like the US and Britain. You can't really explain it, but there it is.

Three, the animals you listed are all stupid and don't love people. My dogs love me. I believe that. There is an emotional connection there--I'm a part of the pack. You hear stories about dogs defending their owners, traveling a distance to get back home, etc. Chickens don't do that shit.

I never grew up with horses, so I have no emotional engagement with them. But I feel the same about them intellectually, and for generally the same reasons.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  8. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This thread is not funny or relevant and should be locked.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

u mad?

Dude, I'm pretty sure it's "general" discussion, not "funny or relevant to Trailbreaker77" discussion.

The OP is from a part of the world where dogs are, in fact, regularly eaten--by choice, not necessity (shout out to my Asian homies). It's a legit question about perspectives and how they vary globally.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    It was meant to be neither.

And why lock it? The discussion thus far's been very informative, in that it's shown that there's another category of dissenters - one that doesn't argue against the consumption of dog meat from a moral, health, or legal standpoint, but dissents solely because they feel kinship with dogs. Which is something I never realized before, and I'm grateful for having my eyes opened to this fact.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Bryan, I see what you mean by Dogs being domesticated predators, but cows are also bred to be fatter and larger and generally more meat rearing than any 'actual' cow in the wild. If you feel some responsibility toward Dogs which mankind has bred to being non self sufficient, then surely cows should be on that list too?

Personally I think a dogs intelligence sets it away from 'edible'. If things go shit up and the world goes to pot, you can always use a dog to actually be useful. Once a chicken stops laying eggs what else is it good for other than KFC?

But really in a dog eat dog world (ha, see what I did there?) anything with more legs then me is fair game. For instance, I've eaten alligator meat (in Miami) and Horse (in Venice)

*nom nom nom*

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is a reasonable question. My response would be that dogs were domesticated into companionship. Cows were domesticated into delicious hamburgers.

Also, it's all the other stuff sort of combined--like you said, a cow won't do shit for you. A dog is a partner (no genozaur).

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    We all need to calm down here, this isn't a thread about eating babies.

Although, the OP of the other thread would be ok with that because humans are bad and not innocent enough to be given any concern to.

That being said I'm a wuss, I am terrified to eat exotic meats, and even semi-exotic like duck. I stick to chicken, turkey and beef. Even hot dogs and pork scare me. Haven't had beef in years though because it's so high in calories.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Because the focus of breeding dogs has been for intellect, physical ability and companionship, and the focus of cattle and poultry breeding has been for meat yield and taste.

I'd rather eat a chicken than a dog for the same reason I'd rather drive a car to work instead of a four-poster with an engine attached. It doesn't mean it couldn't be done or that doing the latter would be "wrong", though.

I mean, it's not black and white (cows can still have other uses other than meat such as plowing fields and giving milk, while some dogs have been bred as food sources), but that's my general opinion.

15. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Pulp Fiction - Filthy Animals - YouTube

16. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

I don't see a reason to kill and eat dogs when there are much larger animals that supply a much larger amount of meat for consumption. I'm a carnivore but I can't really stomach watching videos of what goes on in slaughter houses.

It's a different story to what I see on my plate though. All I see is dead organic matter made for consumption and thats it.

I'll eat cows and pigs only. I don't eat any poultry. No chicken, turkey etc. never tasted right to me. Seafood also, I frigging love shrimp especially :D 

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hmm, good point, well made. *mmm* Hamburglers...

This makes me wonder how Dogs are... well farmed in China. Go to China and you see roasted dogs hanging in Restaurant Windows next to pork and ducks.

So are these dogs reared in a happy friendly free range environment, and when they hit 30 (in dog years) they go for Carousel where they're taken into a room and stoned?

18. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This, but replace dogs with cats. Dogs on the other hand, are filthy, stinky drooling assholes who I generally dislike. I've seen how they live, so there's no way in hell I'll have one on my plate anytime soon.

All we're missing is another dog-fucking thread from GENOZAUR.

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well, Dogs have figured greatly in the history of humankind as companions, work mates and protectors. Most people feel a sort of casual kinship with dogs.

I mean if your survival depends on eating a dog, then bon apetit, but I don't see them being bred for food in Western nations anytime soon.

20. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    bahahaha