Dog advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sportimus, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am planning to get a dog for myself. After a lot of careful thought, I decided I want a dog that is a puppy, either from a reliable breeder or if it really wins me over, from a pound. I am having a hard time deciding on which breed I want. So far I like:

Labrador Retriever
    Boxer
    Doberman Pincher
    Vizsla
    Shetland Sheepdog
    Rhodesian Ridgeback

I want to get a dog that is low maintainance when it comes to shedding. Easy to keep clean, isn't a a total nutcase, intelligent, and easy to live with and won't try eating my friends. I want a dog that I can take out for runs but is also fine with lounging on the couch and not hyper. Any suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated and please say why you think it is a good choice so I would understand better.

Also, if you have a dog or dogs, feel free to post pics.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You never know exactly what your dog is going to be in terms of habits, even as they grow up from a puppy. Its like having a kid in that regard, you can't tell what someone will become just by breeding.

From what you describe, you pretty much want the best of all possible worlds. What is most important to you? A Boxer doesn't really shed, but it may drool, or chew, or jump up on people, and all dogs, ESPECIALLY working breeds like sheepdogs and dobermans, need lots of attention and exercise to stay healthy and happy.

Are you looking for a dog that's going to be a companion? Will the dog be alone in the house most of the day? How much time and space do you have available to provide this dog?

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Invest in a good vacuum cleaner because all those dogs shed a lot. I've personally owned a Doberman and Boxer, a buddy of mine has a Ridgeback and Lab. Not sure about a Vizsla and Sheepdog, I'd have to do some research on them.

I'd say the Ridgeback is probably your best bet. They are pretty expensive as you'll find out, but their running abilities are amazing. They are extremely hyper and you will have to work them out at least once a day. It's one hell of a commitment if your up for the challenge.

As for me, the dog isn't on your list but I love my Sonny. He is a Cockapoo I brought with my ex and now he is mine. Sure, I was a bit apprehensive when we got him because I grew up with big dogs. Now, I've owned him for 4 years and nothing warms my heart the way he does.

[​IMG]

Shedding? Nope
    Hyper? Nope
    Low Maintenance? Yes
    Runner? No
    Walker? Kinda

If you have time to run/work them out, all the breeds you listed would be wonderful! If you don't, I'd really think twice about any of those breeds. Those dogs with a lazy owner just don't mix....

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    First off, my suggestion would be to make sure with yourself that a dog is what you want; next to kids raising a puppy the correct way has been one of the most challenging things in my life.

So you want one? Great! Let's move on.

It sounds to me like this may be your first dog so I think you should get a puppy. There's nothing better than being there from the beginning and establishing that relationship. Going through the pound is always a terrific thing to do; be sure to contact your local shelters and ask to come in to take a look around or visit local pet stores for their "adoption days."

If you want to have a pure blood and purchase one from a breeder, DO YOUR RESEARCH. After that, DO SOME MORE RESEARCH. Look for customer reviews on the breeder, contact the breeder through phone, not email, and try to establish a good feel for the breeder you choose. You do not want to get burned, or worse purchase a puppy that was raised in horrible conditions, i.e. a puppy mill.

Once you have your puppy, take puppy classes. I cannot stress it enough. Your relationship will not only strengthen, but you'll be on the right track to raising your pup the right way.

Lastly, here's my suggestion: weimaraner. I've had the pleasure of working with these dogs and let me tell you, for the beginning owner or lifelong dog owner, this breed is terrific. Smart, gentle, and loving. It'd be perfect for you.

Now, if you didn't mind the drool, the shedding, or the very, very loud barking I'd say you should get my favorite breed:

Bloodhounds :D 
    [​IMG]

5. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

A dog that's not crazy rules out the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Read up on them. Very hard to train, and extremely high energy. Lots of them in pounds as owners don't know how to handle them sadly. Only experienced dog owners should take them on as it will be a task to train them and they will require constant attention / training.

Best bet for you IMHO is the boxer. Boxers are smart, muscular dogs that can run with you and are typically laid back as well and good around children.

I have a dog that's part Boxer and she's smart as a whip. Took her about a year to settle in, but now she's perfect now. Smartest pup I've ever owned. She can run longer than me. Can keep up if I ride a bike or roller blade. Loves to play fetch, and play with other dogs. Has perfect recall (can walk her without a leash). Even though her fur is mid-length (think it's from the cocker spaniel in her) she never really sheds that I've noticed. Imagine Boxers don't shed much too making them low maintenance.

Really suggest you go to the pound too. You'll save a life. Depending on where you are, pounds can have up to an 80% kill rate. :( 

On the shedding front, get yourself a Furminator. Some folks think they are mean for some reason, but my Eskie loves it. She gets really excited when I pull it down as she knows I'm going to spend some quality time grooming her.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  6. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This would not be my first dog, but it will be the first dog I will buy. I had a family dog which was a Poodle and one of my roommates had dogs that I ended up taking care of for a long while. I also had a cat who sometimes thought he was a dog.

I am considering Weimaraners as well. I forgot to mention them on my list. I just discovered the breed a couple of months ago when a neighbor bough a 1/2 lab, 1/2 weimaraner puppy. Very interesting dogs.

I am looking for a dog that I can go out running with or play around with in the back yard or park. At the same time, not one that demands non-stop excercise all day long. I love border collies but they will tear up my house because they demand a lot of attention and get bored easily. So nothing like that. I guess I am looking for a dog that I can run around with and have some fun with but also is able to relax in the house. The less drooling, the better. Preferably a dog that doesn't bark at just about anything for any reason. I may have to loosen up my criteria and I will if it is too narrow. I like dogs the general size of labs, give or take a couple inches.

That's a great looking bloodhound! :) 

7. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

It's awesome that you're putting lots of thought into this. So many people just grab the first cute puppy they see in a pet shop, or pick the breed they think is the best looking, and it ends with the poor dog in the pound because the owner didn't know what they were getting into. You're definitely ahead of the curve by doing research. :thumbs2: 

You're describing a miracle dog that doesn't actually exist. :)  My advice would be to rate those things according to how important they are to you, and go from there. For example, my dog is very clean, doesn't shed, and is a people-dog, but he's also a hyperactive maniac who requires a lot of exercise. To me, being friendly and clean was more important than being calm, so that's the concession I made.

My overall recommendation would be a sporting breed, since they seem to be the most well-rounded dogs. Most of them are very intelligent, easy to train, and friendly. They do need a decent amount of exercise, but most aren't ultra hyper like a terrier or herding breed could be. A few people have mentioned Weimeraners, and I would add Brittany Spaniels, Pointers (especially the German Shorthair), and Setters to that list.

Agreed. Ridgebacks can also be aggressive, and they have a strong prey drive. They were bred to hunt lions, and they have the personality and strength to match that. I adore them and would love to have one, but they're not a breed to take on lightly.

8. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Have you considered a Greyhound? They're surprisingly good house dogs and love lounging, but are sturdy enough for long runs and the outdoors. (They don't require that much exercise as they were bred for sprinting rather than endurance.) Generally intelligent with a good temperament, they're not as possessive so they aren't known as being loud, and they don't shed much.

The best part? You can adopt a retired racing dog from any one of the number of rescue organizations across the country.

9. meirelle

meirelle Sea of Shelfwarmers

I agree with other people on this thread that you should go to the pound/humane society to get your puppy. Save the life of a dog.

Anyhow, I don't know much about breeds because all of my dogs have been mutts/mixbreeds.

Patches was a dalmatian/beagle mix, and he was the sweetest thing. You could walk him without a leash, and he always listened to you. He was pretty mellow as well. I've had him since a puppy. He liked to go swimming in the pool (we taught him how to climb up the ladder.)

Shera (pictured below) is part coonhound/dalmatian/maybe some beagle too. We rescued her from a shelter when she was 2. She used to be a really fucking crazy-ass dog. We put up a 4-foot fence in the back yard because she liked to go on sightseeing trips. :lol  Then she jumped the fence, and we had to put a 6-foot fence in. We had to get a 1-inch thick chain to attach her leash to because she broke a normal-sized chain. o_O ; She also goes batshit insane when she catches the scent of something-- she doesn't listen to commands and she'd tear the wooden slats off the fence, trying to escape. She's really mellowed out in her old age, though, and now all she does is sleep all day.

I would like to point out that mutts generally live longer than fullbreeds (Patches lived to be 16). However, if you're getting a fullbreed, smaller dogs tend to live longer.

I would also like to point out that puppies will chew on anything and everything, so be prepared to deal with that.

Each dog has their own personality that's only partly influenced by their breed. I cannot stress enough how important it is to properly train your dog.

Good luck! :thumb 

[​IMG]

10. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

I will implore you, please, please, PLEASE seriously consider getting a rescue dog! There are thousands out there all looking for a home. Usally for a small fee, or sometimes even a donation. Hell my first dog I had cost 15 dollars! 15 dollars for 10 of the best years is a hell of a return. He just passed a few months ago and was the best dog I've ever had. He was everything you could want in a dog and more. The new pup I got just recently is rapidly closing in on the "best dog title" thou. :D  Both were rescues. Maybe I've been lucky with picking them, but I think its more along the lines of "you get what you put into it" As long as you love your dog, he will return that love. :thumbs2: 

11. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    Breed Breakdown | Find Your New Furry Friend
    This is a great website for you to choose a dog. Again, I will echo what everyone else is saying in teh fact that you, depending on the dog, will literally have to reorganize your life around a dog.
    Also, there is no such thing as a dog that does not shed. Every dog loses hairs.