Does your opinion on the movieverse afects your toy purchases?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by General Magnus, Aug 29, 2011.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

For example, I was not pleased with Shockwave being down without kicking some ass, but I´m still getting the toy.

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

My opinion on the movieverse is this:

The guys who DON'T show up on screen usually have the best toys. Examples include (in no particular order); Bludgeon, Wreckage, Landmine, and Highbrow.

Figures whose characters DO appear in the movies tend to get the crappier toys unless they make it to the next film. Examples include the first 15 or so Bumblebees, first two versions of Megatron (sans ROTF Voyager because that was a decent figure), first Starscream, original Barricade deluxe, The Fallen, and Demolishor (or whoever Prime shot in the face within the first 15 minutes of ROTF). If the character makes it to at least the next movie, their chances of a better toy go up exponentially, such as the slow evolution of the movie Megatron voyagers, with each one being better than the last.

Exceptions to this rule include named Decepticons who look awesome and do absolutely nothing in the actual film they are in except look cool and die. Examples include voyager Long Haul, voyager Shockwave, and Ejector (who presumably appeared during the kitchen-appliances-come-to-life scene from ROTF)

So, essentially, if a character DOESN'T show up in the movie, i am in fact more likely to buy it! :lol 

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep. I generally avoid 'em.

4. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Nope. The movies are pretty bad but I like the movie aesthetic, so I get the toys if I like them. However, DOTM has been a bit of a stinker overall for me, and I haven't gotten into it in the same way I've gotten into DOTM. I generally like the off-screen characters much like Autobot Burnout...NEST Global Alliance was probably the best subline for ROTF!

5. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Yes. Hated DOTM, haven't bought any original figures from it. Loved the first 2, and have quite a decent collection of them.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yes. I didn't care for the movies or the character designs, so it more or less drove me from buying more than the occasional figure for the last 4 or so years. Not hating on anybody else who likes them, they're just not to my tastes.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The DOTM toys (sans Topspin, Ratchet and Sideswipe) from what i have are pretty dissapointing like the movie itself.

8. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Yes. I have very few movie figures, and only about half of those have the "movie" aesthetic.

9. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

I'm not a big fan of that aesthetic, so I don't buy any of the movie toys. I know there are some great figures in those lines, but the aesthetic just doesn't do it for me so I don't buy them.

10. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    If I'm reading this right, what you're asking is whether or not the character's performance in the movie affects you buying his toy or not (from what you say in the OP) ?

If so, then no. As a matter of fact I haven't seen DOTM (will probably watch it on cable). I base my purchases only on toy aesthetic and design. If the toy's cool, I don't care if its name is Pooplord and he didn't appear onscreen.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never let media effect my opinion on a figure. I might let nostalgia effect my opinion, but generally I will just get whatever figures I think look cool.

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I would totally buy a Pooplord toy.

13. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

No. I was dissapointed with Shockwave's role in the movie,but that didn't make me like his toy any less. It's still my favorite Dotm figure so far. But as with Sideswipe,like Shockwave,I had the toy before the movie,but his larger role in the movie coupled with his fantastic one liners made me like the toy even more! The same with the Wreckers and my hope to see a Deluxe Mirage soon :p 

14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For sure. I've enjoyed the movies, and thus I've spent far more than I probably should have over the last 5 years...

15. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Basically this. After all,if the toy has a horrible name or just one that doesn't fit,you could always rename it. For example,the name Payload really didn't fit for the Long Haul repaint,so I renamed him Overhaul. Problem solved

16. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I judge a toy based on the toy, not on the character's portrayal in the fiction. I absolutely agree that some of the best movie figures are for characters who weren't in the movies. DOTM Skyhammer comes to mind.

17. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

When it comes to purchasing movie figures, the movies do have some influence.

I don't usually buy characters/repaints/renames that didn't appear in the movie - I do make exceptions, depending on the awesome factor. Mindwipe and Bludgeon from the NEST line immediately come to mind because of how cool they look - they have such personality, and they would have been better than at least 85% of the Decepticons that actually appeared in the films.

I have a small Decepticon collection limited to one figure of each character. I'm an Autobot girl - I like more of the Autobot characters. Many of the movieverse Decepticons failed to make that much of an impression on me outside of being random bad guys. I have a few Barricades because due to the first movie, he's my favorite.

I don't care to get a Wheeljack/Que figure after seeing the movie because I can't stand the design OR the character in DOTM.

I wanted the Dreads more after seeing the movie, because I wanted to recreate the awesome Mexican standoff scene.

And I don't own any Sentinel Prime figures.

18. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup. I never really liked the Bayformer design aesthetic and think it did not successfully transfer to toy form at all, so I've avoided virtually all the movie figures save for a small handful that I think look good (TF1 Deluxe BB, TF2 Leader Starscream, TF2 Leader Buster Prime, TF1 Leader Brawl and TF3 Leader Sentinel). But even those - I'll probably end up selling sooner than later.

19. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wanted Shockwave less but Laserbeak more after seeing the movie, if that's what you're asking.

20. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Yes it does. I despise the movie aesthetic so, consequently, I don't buy the toys.