Does your interest in collecting fade in and out?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jadis, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Jadis

Jadis Well-Known Member

I started collecting back in 2004 with the Takara book style reissues then eventually expanding into several lines beyond that. At one point thought "what am I crazy pouring my money in to toys?" and stopped but recently was very impressed with the latest generations lines and the plethora of high quality 3rd party toys like the Perfect Effects "Reflector" that I started buying again... poof there goes several hundred dollars! haha

Do you guys ever have similar moments of "sanity" or "manic shopping sprees"?

2. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    All the time...usual when it drought. Lack of stuff that catches my eyes....

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I have plastic crack withdrawl. If I go to long without buying something I start looking for some more plastic crack to buy.

The problem is, my collection is so close to completion the plastic crack is now becoming that really damn expensive plastic crack.

Not sure what will happen once my collection is done. With the 3rd party stuff, I am sure it will be a while before that happens.

4. ThisGuy

ThisGuy True Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh ya, all the time. I think the same thing as you. Why am I spending this much money on a toy? And then I get home or get the package at my door and remember that Transformers are 100% kick-ass fun and look really awesome. (Most of them that is)

5. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    mine is starting to wane...but i have hundreds of TF's everywhere..closets, boxes, etc

i think one i get this collection down to a few lines (BW, BM, Energon, BWR...)

then i might start to enjoy it alot more...right now it is a huge unorganized mess.

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. I faded out a bit during 2010 but started heavily collecting again earlier this year.

7. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I couldnt agree more with that, after awhile of not getting anything new ill literally wanna go to the store and buy anything I lay my eyes on provided I have the money

8. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    When withdrawal happens, you start falling into other toylines. For me its Marvel Universe

9. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Thundercats Classics for me. Luckily, there are only 2 out, and they are not really out yet.

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well for me, there's always Yugioh to fill in the gaps. I don't really collect anything else, but the two seem to balance each other out. If anything, the only victim here is my wallet.

11. Jadis

Jadis Well-Known Member

Man you guys are totally right - nice to see I'm not the only plastic crack addict haha. I dabble in other toy lines like Macross and Gundam (but not nearly as much as Transformers).

I think a lot of what fuels my desire and satisifaction is feeling as if I just bought all the toys I only dreamnt of as a child and going back in time and giving it to myself (if that makes sense)...

At one point I would semi-justify my collecting by saying I'd pass the toys on to my sons but I don't think they give will give a damn especially since they didn't grow up with the cartoon shows or comics. (I think for them it's gonna be Thomas the train).

12. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    Kamen Rider, Super Sentai/older Ranger merch or hell anything I can find thats cheap lol, thats usually what I go for when im desperate

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Ever since I ordered the final wave of Generations online and found a couple of Windcharger's with surprising ease, I've definitely been out of the hunting loop while all the movie crap overflows on shelves. It seems to happen with every movie - I get my final batch of Animated or Classics, then just wait for more when/if they relaunch. And it's sort of good since it gives me time to catch up on other collection gaps I still need to track down - Masterpieces, Encores, etc. that I may have missed first time around.

14. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Yeah, when there isn't anything I find interesting, I either stop collecting altogether until something I find interesting hits, or I shift focus over to the other lines I collect. Transformers is my main interest though.

15. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    I collect several lines, with TF and Marvel being my main ones. I know the feeling of interest fading out, it's happened to me with GI Joe and DCUC. Now I just pick very select figures, otherwise ignore it completely. I'm hoping TF still comes out with the Classics style figures because that's what's keeping my interest lately, and maybe select Botcon pieces, which is harder to acquire.

16. solid.wii

solid.wii Well-Known Member

Whenever it does I bitch slap it and tell it to go back in the kitchen.

17. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

My interest in collecting pretty much depends on when movie figures are out. I don't collect any of those lines so when they're out I can slow down and focus on getting the Classics I don't have. I'm in a slower period of collecting right now, but that's going to change once the Prime figures are released.

18. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Before, when I can't find new Bee stuff, I buy some non-Bee and even non-TF toys, which I consider mostly impulse buys now. So my interest does not really wane but is diverted I guess. My collection is far from complete, especially with G1 and pre-TF stuff, some of which are near impossible to find anyway, so I figure my interest wouldn't wane in the near future. :) 

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    movie-out, classics in, but this year, third party kept me in

20. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Oh it's up to "Level 10" at the moment... :lol  My complete dis-interest in the Bayverse line has given me much more time & money to complete my G1 collection and boy, My wallet is crying out for mercy... :lol