Does XanThium reminds of 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DemonessQ3A, Jul 31, 2011.

1. DemonessQ3A

DemonessQ3A Well-Known Member

Though live in China, I had seen the news in 1986 about the tragic explosion of the US space shuttle Challenger, which caused 7 people to die.

When the autobots spaceship XanThium was (apparently) destroyed by Starscream, the explosion scene seriously reminds me of that accident in 1986.

I told my feeling to my transformers friends, but most of them were too young that year to have that memory.

Not sure if this is what the movie intended to remind us. Since it already reminds us of Appolo's moon landing and Chermobly's nuclear disastor.

2. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Leader of the Lost

News Credits:
    Totes not in South Bay, CA. Go away, NSA.
    I saw the similarities by watching YouTube, along with 9/11, modern warfare, red dawn, and sanfran quake 1989.

3. Stormrunner

Stormrunner Cry for the Cat's Eye

The Challenger and the Columbia (though Columbia was destroyed on entry).

My heart stopped when I saw the Xanthium blow up - only because it reminded me of both disasters.

I watched the Challenger on TV when I was 5 because my parents wanted me to see a rocket launch and it freaked me out then - then in 2003 with Columbia just brought back the memories. I was watching the re-entry because a Professor at University was having us do a story board for it - needless to say he dropped that project.

I don't know where I'm going with this but yeah seeing both Challenger and Columbia disasters made the impact of the Xanthium blowing up hit harder then it should have - I mean I knew the Autobots were fine but *shudder*.

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Yup.
    Miht as well emulate an actual occurance for more realism and credibility.

5. Russian fan

Russian fan Autobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    My heart stopped then...
    The first time I did not believe that it is possible... But when I was watching the film a second time - suddenly I have thought... What would happen if they all like so stupid, instantly, on our fault... died ...
    How it was hurt all the same...
    I have not caught the wreck of Challenger, but saw the video during the one of the sad anniversary. And it struck me to the core...
    Only this time, in the theater, it was more painfully - the fate of the Autobots is too close to us...

6. Regressor

Regressor Well-Known Member

But how do you have a shuttle explosion in a movie without it looking like the challanger explosion. I mean how many different ways are there to portray it?

7. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    I'll admit, I had the Challenger though when I first saw the movie(not so much Columbia). The similarities are there. I'm not going to act horribly offended or spew some bullcrap about it being to soon(somebody would, trust me). I'm just saying it's similar.

It actually caught me off guard. I wasn't really thing about the fact that there had to e a final battle or that they probably escaped. I just thought they got "blow'd the hell up" and would be magical repaired or have some die and some survive.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I was born a few months after the Challenger disaster, so no, the Xanthium being blown up by Starscream didn't remind me of the Challenger disaster.

9. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    I thought it was homaging the Ark II explosion from the Dreamwave comics.

10. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    It only reminds us, because well, how else is it going to look if a rocket explodes? As for them trying to make us remember, no, I don't think it was planned like that.

11. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    Not really. Of course, I had read the spoilers and knew the Autobots weren't actually on board. In my mind, it was an empty ship getting blown up.

12. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

It did. I wasn't expecting it, and while it was definitely one of the more tragic experiences in my life (just my luck, went out on a field trip to the beach to watch it when we saw it) and it brought that sad moment back, I wasn't offended by it in any way.

13. NoWeePrime

NoWeePrime Prime

I can see the similarites. Sad sad sad.

14. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

I wonder how long it will take for some "journalist" to misunderstand it and write an article about how Michael Bay is a tragedy mocking racist and post it on the INTERNET.