Does USPS First Class Int. have tracking? +US to CAN shippers stop switching 2 save $

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

So I received an item that I paid for 'USPS Express Mail' @ $16.50 for in the auction, then the seller messaged me saying he used USPS Priority. So far so good as he let me know of that switch before paying.

I got the item today and it cost him $6.46 to ship, which is seeming much more like USPS First Class. It did however have a tracking # (starting in LC ending in US), which I didn't think USPS First Class came with.

I just wanted to figure this out before messaging the person. US sellers charging for USPS Priority (usually starting around $15) and then using USPS First Class (starting around $4) so as to pocket the difference is becoming way to frequent for me and really pisses me off (or even worse switching to UPS). As does the "what, you got the item in the end and that's all that matters" responses.

2. joopsta

joopsta loves Animated

News Credits:
    First Class doesn;t have a tracking number. I live in the Netherlands and I always let my items ship via first class. It's the cheapest way for me and I don't need a tracking number. The few times I got a tracking number from priority it stated "signed in at US post office", while I already had my package. But charging too much for shipment is something that really pisses me off as well. Ask your overcharged money back or otherwise open a dispute at paypal.

3. Paradigm-Shift Prime

That's what happened with this tracking #. It only has the acceptance update and now here I have it.

But if I got this tracking # that means he shipped Priority though then?

If so I wonder how he shipped Priority for only $6?

4. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Int'l First Class packages do indeed get scanned in as being accepted by the senders post office but they don't have any delivery confirmation. Priority & EMS, from my experience have at least 3 updates : 1) Acceptance 2) Arrival in foreign country 3) delivered to recipient.

So without doubt - based on the tracking info and cost - the seller sent it First Class. A paypal dispute may be useless since last I heard, they don't waste time on overcharged shipping. Of course if you want ALL your money back you could dispute it as if the item was never received since there's no delivery confirmation to prove it was. :ev: 

5. joopsta

joopsta loves Animated

News Credits:
    I opened a dispute for overcharging shipment a few months ago and got my money back. (OK, it was 6 dollars, but it was more that I was pissed that the seller didn't reply on my mails asking about it)

6. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Actually PSP that customs number that starts with LC ending in US is more of confirmation type number, but works exactly the same as a Priority or Express tracking number. If you type that number in USPS tracking it tells you the package has been accepted. If you type that same number in Canada Post Website tracking system, it should show you departure, arrival, and delivery status updates. From what I know these customs numbers (starts with LC) can be found on the small green customs forms.

eg: this is a customs number from one of the items I won from ebay LC730605203US paste this customs number on the Canada Post Website and you will see how well it works. heres a pic of another customs number

It is just a customs form w/ confirmation but trackible the only difference is delivery time. I always ask for that LC number whenever I buy small stuff off Ebay or from fellow US TFW board members if I am not using Express or Priority. Every little bit counts and is better than nothing. So technically yah first class USPS has tracking, it really depends on what customs form the shipper uses.

So many Ebayers and US Online Stores love to over charge on shipping. I paid $24 to get my Wally's MP Screamer mailed out here, took 20 business days and the cost to them was $10. I used to buy Hot Wheels from the Hot Wheels Collectors Club and charge me $10 shipping for one car, the cost to them under $3. That same Hot Wheels package for me to ship to the US is $9 and I charge $10 and I get cheap ass maggots asking me why my price is so high..... UGH FUCK EBAY!

7. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I like your train of thought :thumb 

8. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yeah First Class it was sent. Bastard. This is like the 4th time someone's done that.

If I followed the way of the evil smiley face, would ebay/paypal check the Canada Post side @ Tech Spec explains though?

9. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Sure he gave a you a tracking number, but it is not a Priority tracking number. I say file a dispute, you paid for a specific type of shipping service and the seller went another route and over charged you..... follow the way of the evil smiley face :ev: 

10. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Good to know. Last time I tried to file a dispute for overcharged shipping years ago I was forwarded to a Paypal page explaining they don't get involved in those disputes. Paypal must have had a policy change. Cool

Now that's something I've NEVER heard of. I was pleasantly surprised to see your customs number at Canada Post too. Unfortunately a First Class package I sent to to Canada on Dec. 06, LC676294133US, has no record at all. But wait, there's more: LC676294147US, sent to Hungary the same day DOES have limited info on Canada Post. That's super weird. So, I don't know what property a package has to have to get Canada Post tracking, but they don't all appear to get it.

As an occasional seller, I'm usually more worried about someone (mostly only on eBay) internationally trying to scam me by saying they never received their item since there's no tracking record (I don't really suggest making a claim that you didn't receive it - unless the seller is also a jackass in addition to being a liar :p ). I usually stick with Int'l Priority on eBay to quell that paranoia; message board folk usually go First Class since the community swoops down on crooks better than eBay.

11. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Thanks for the comments/info guys. The combination of Macabre and Tech's comments filled in all the details. As Tech Spec says First Class always has that number that just enters the item as received on USPS's site but once it hits Canada it gets the full updates that Canada Post packages get (so sort of tracking).

Anyways I messaged the seller yesterday and he was nice, he said he switched because the person at the post office convinced him to, saying FC and Priority have roughly the same shipping time anyways. I told him sorry I was a bit accusational in my first message but that the seller shouldn't switch to less secure and cheaper shipping methods without contacting the buyer about it instead of it being a surprise (and I had messaged him wondering why the Priority level tracking with USPS updates wasn't working...he could've responded saying 'because I switched to not Priority' instead of 'I don't know it should be'.) He refunded the full difference and assured me he hadn't switched just to pocket the $10.

Nice guy, so this case didn't involve bad intentions, but still this high degree of frequency of US to CAN sellers posting and receiving funds for one shipping method and then switching down to a lessor one.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  12. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Good stuff PSP :thumb 

The way of the evil face will rise again :ev: