Does this make me racist?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by megatronkicksas, Nov 9, 2009.

1. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So today in APUSH (Advanced Placement United States History)we had our weekly seminar, this week's topic was on Jackson, "Was Jackson's Indian removal policy for Humanitarian reasons or was is based on something more sinister?" What we do for our seminar is we are asked a question, then we go out and get information on it to support our what we think then we come in and debate it.

My view was that while not exactly good it was better than the eventual genocide and how it was the better of two evils. What happened though was that me and this girl got into a very heated debate of it and she called me a "racist". The teacher then said that that was to far and said we had to sit down (because we were standing up yelling at each other).

Now this really sunk into me, my friends said it was uncalled for and untrue but that is a biased opinion. I want to know what you guys think. Please let's not turn this into a discussion on Jackson or his politics and let's keep this clean and not a flame war.

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I don't see this going well....

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Political thread is political.

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

To be honest, I don't know that much about Jackson. Smooth Criminal was pretty good, but I wouldn't say I was a fan. I certainly wasn't aware that he had anything to do with India.

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I'd have to be there to see everything go down in context to judge anything.

In other words...Idk?

6. megatronkicksas

News Credits:
    Not political
    If it doesn't go well then I'll ask it to be closed.

7. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

I would let it go and wait till she turns around then use your science book on her head.

Sometimes people have opinions on things and can't understand why others don't see the same way they do. Eventually they will get an idea of why you think that way, being racist or whatever, and stick with it as the only logical reason why you have that opinion.

That is the way of the universe.

Chuck

8. megatronkicksas

News Credits:
    Ok then, I meant Andrew Jackson.

9. Optimus Sledge

There's an easy way to settle this: what did you think of Skids and Mudflap in ROTF?

10. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd say ignore it. She probably didn't even know the topic that well. Stuff people say in school is mostly forgettable anyways. Don't let the comment get to you.

11. megatronkicksas

News Credits:
    I think I'd take RavenXL7's view on the subject.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    well what Jackson did occurred at a time before the term racist existed and was decades before the Us Civil war and the end of slavery, I do not consider you a racist as for Jackson he was under immense political pressure by those in government with interests there and he was a well known hater of Indians/Native Americans

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I don't think it makes you a racist. The country was expanding west no matter what. Looking at it through a persons eye of the time it was probably the best they could come up with. Sure by todays starndards its really bad, however looking at it in the context of the 19th century? The majority of people living then probably didn't think it was bad, except for the Native Americans.

14. Optimus Sledge

Curse my inability to remember what every single person thinks on every issue! Why has no one started TFWpedia?

I think you're racist. You're a fan of Megatron, and Megatron is big on wiping out his opponents. Very racist.

15. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    If you had to use "I have plenty of (insert race) friends" most likely you are racist :D 

16. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

If you stated this in addition to "I don't agree with the whole thing." Then it's not racist.

If at some point it "implied" that you may agree with the ideal, it is no different than "separate but equal" line of racism.

However, displacement is natural better than genocide because the displaced people can rise up and attacked their suppressors. Sadly, many holocaust victims didn't get that chance. You can't have revenge if you're dead.

Other than that, its a fact and the though alone does not make you racist.

Follow Optimus Sledge's famous advice to deal with that girl, she's just frustrated.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Big on wiping out his opponents based on their ethnic backgrounds. VERRRY Racist.

Also, looking back on the Trail of Tears, it seems pretty clear to us that it was a horrible thing to do, and saying it was a better than ethnically cleansing the native population is like saying sawing off your foot with a razor is better than sawing off your head. Technically correct, but its important to establish neither are attractive options.

As to, "Are you Racist", well, a simple way to find out is to think about if there's any races that are inherently better or worse than others. If you answered yes to the above question, you may be racist.

18. megatronkicksas

News Credits:
    Sorry bout' that, It reminded him of white kids who act that way to seem tough.
    I said that it was bad but genocide could have been worse and I didn't condone it.
    I stated that is was the lesser of two evils.

19. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    Do you hate a minority or group for no or unjust reasons? Then you are not racist.

Is the girl who played the race card racist, and therefore played it? Most likely.

20. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I think a "Does this make me gay?" thread would have been better. One statement does not make you a racist. Your thoughts and your actions do.