Does this happen to anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by MasterDeath, Jan 10, 2011.

1. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

Every year I get into a strange mood, where I start to care less about toys in general. I start to box up most of my figure displays, transformers, marvel figs, batman stuff and whatever else... and go with a minimal look in my room.

I get to a point where I wouldn't care if I stuck them all in a bag and threw them out of the window. I get bored of them, and it depresses me just to see them.

My optimus prime display is now just my big dragon statue, and the little ones my family got me for Christmas.... very minimalist.

I feel that my room looks like a cluster F***. I took down my iron man figs from the wall, and some marvel cards etc I stuck up there with em.

I am also fed up of my halo mega blocks as well, I no longer care for them.

Also don't want to buy any more toys either..... I mean today I had a quick look around forbidden planet, saw axzor that I wanted a couple of months back... and passed it up. Also passed up a blackest night mougel (did I spell that right?) giant figure that I might have picked up before....

Now it is pretty much guaranteed that when summer comes, I will spend a sh** tonne of money on marvel figs and new transformers figs and my room will look like a cluster F*** again and I will be proud of it.

Does this make me a weird individual.... or do you guys get this way too?

2. pud333

pud333 Well-Known Member

Yeah sometimes I look at the toys and think, "WTF is this? You're a grown man and you collect toys?" Then I go and sell a bunch. Only to buy more a few months later. Eventually I will probably sell them all, but I can't bring myself to right now.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I do feel like that but once in a blue moon and especially if its a line that its not in my scope or focus. Some of the lines I regret getting are:

i) Neca movie characters; and
    ii) main stream TF toys other than G1 such as Energon, Animated and the movie toys;
    iii) Main line toys like Marvel Legends and DC Super heroes - mostly the figures that I was forced to buy in sets! LOL!

Currently, I'm trying to just focus on this toy lines which have a "old school" theme i.e. from the 80s.

i) Transformers (old school themes)
    ii) MOTU Classics;
    iii) Kamen Rider/Ultraman toys (but only the old school characters); and
    iv) Anime/manga/video game characters. For example, S.H. Figuarts Dragonball Z characters

I'm not going to touch any of the newer TFs lines like Prime, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Gundam model kits etc.

The main reason why I buy toys is because they remind me of a happier and care-free time when I was younger and maybe they serve as a type of "retail" therapy. To compound matters, the technology, engineering and sculpt have improved so much in the toy industry! X)

I believe its possible to totally stop buying toys. For example, I haven't purchased a single Gundam kit or DC character figure in months.

There's always going to be newer better stuff out there - the key, I believe is to question ourselves is whether we will still like and remember them in even a year. For example, for me I will always cherish the G1 TFs over the Movie TFs.

4. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    we're probably all like that. I know I go through it every once in a while. I'm very active, but I'm also still in college, not yet sure what I'm doing or where I'm going with myself. Can be fairly overwhelming sometimes.

5. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I don't get to the point where I pack up everything and wouldn't mind if I had thrown them out. But I do change up my display pretty often, my two Detolf used to be exclusive to Transformer toys are now housing mostly SOC robots, Macross and Saint Seiya toys.

6. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I've never felt like chucking my collection, but there are plenty of times when I look around at my shelves and think "Damn, what a waste of money."

Other times, despite really wanting a new toy, I just can't pull the trigger because all I can think about it is the money I'm wasting, the space it's going to take up and the fact that it will only scratch the buying itch for a week at most.

Yet I still keep on collecting...

7. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    Mmmhmm, thats definitely me aswell.

Gah, I regret buying so much stuff that I wanted at the time only to not care about it in the slightest in the years that follow.

Thats why I am working towards finishing my personal collection of figures, then I know for sure that I can get rid of the rest without regretting it later on.

8. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I know, eh? Used to be I'd buy a Transformer at the store even if I didn't really want it, just so I wouldn't be going home empty-handed. Or I'd collect several lines at once. Now though, I've decided to focus almost entirely on DCUC figures, with maybe a Transformer or something else here and there. I figure this way, I don't give up collecting altogether, as I do enjoy it as a hobby, but at the same time, I'm only getting the figures I want and know I'll appreciate.

9. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I have a friend going through this right now. He's already cutting his collection down to a specific group. It's probably just a phase though.

10. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I have had this happen many times, often cycling through the phases every few months or so. But, to be fair, i have depression, so maybe i'm not hte best indicator of the general plastic-crack-loving population. ;) 

Also, i've never actually sold any of my toys, though i have lost interest in a lot of them, and even developed a hatred for a few.

11. Secretcode

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I have this issue with the 2007 Movie/ROTF Line. I mean, most of them are good, fun toys. But I can't bring myself to buy more, yet I can't bring myself to sell them. Fuckily for me, the next year's worth of merch seems to nothing but movie product, so at least that eases my wallet some.

12. Treadshot A1

Is that deliberate or a typo? I assume deliberate since F is far from L on the usual qwerty keyboard...

Anyways, i have no problem with that line, but i do have a problem with AEC. At times i like them, at times i hate them (well, i will always hate Kicker, but who doesn't? :lol ). My most pressing problem is Armada Perceptor. I remember i spent so long as a kid searching for him, almost a grail of sorts, and in the end i only found the Japanese Micron 3-pack at a Citistore in Ma On Shan, which i nabbed instantly (funny how i can remember where i bought it, even after so many years. Guess that proves i anted it more than anything else at the time). Now i sorta go through phases of loving Perceptor to the point of forgiving Sureshock (who is the scooter, GRINDOR IS A SKATEBOARD!!!), to hating Sureshock so much even Grindor gets no love. And often i go through periods of loving Armada Perceptor, then Energon Perceptor, then Armada, then Energon, Armad, Energon...you get the idea. Though i will always love the Energon Scouts, they were so bloody awesome.

13. Secretcode

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    ...Actually it was a typo.

14. Treadshot A1

I might start using that when i don't know whether something is a blessing or a curse... :lol 

15. primal primus

primal primus Wants more Batman

Happens to me all the time. I look around my room, thinking : ''You're the only dude in your class that has toys, man...'' And then I don't even want to see them. After a week, I see a awesome as hell old toy/new toy and start to play with 'em.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    While not to the same near anti-toy state you get to, I often feel less enthusiastic after the holidays for toy collecting because a lot of my cravings for plastic were just satisfied. Likewise come spring/summer I go full-on again.

Though oddly enough it didn't happen this year, and my collecting mood mantained clear through the holidays to now.

17. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, this happens to me often. I look at my collection and think "why did I buy that?" and I have been actually throwing toys out lately. Nothing anyone wants, anime figures and crap.