Does this bother you too?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jersey_Steel, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Jersey_Steel

Jersey_Steel Well-Known Member

I am a very G1 cartoon type person and one thing I seem to notice with all the other versions of Transformers out there is how weak of a character Megatron is. I was just watching the Transformers Prime episode where Unicron is resurrected and Megatron is calling upon Unicron as his master. They did the same thing with the live action movie as well. Looking at the G1 cartoons Megatron had his weak moments, but never anything where he was a coward and calling another bot his master. Even in the animated movie he is resistant to a powerful Unicron up until the point where he realizes if he doesn't comply he will float about space forever. Am I the only one who feels this way?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    No, this doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Also, Megatron in the G1 series was all pomp and bluster, but when it boiled down to it, with Unicron or the Autobots, he retreated, accepted defeat, and showed he wasn't quite the invincible leader he purported himself to be on many occassions.

3. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've actually felt this about Optimus. Ever since RID, it seemed that Optimus could only win with a super mode, or combining with another Autobot. The only version of Optimus that is as strong as the G1 character is Prime. Even the movies had him combining in ROTF.

4. Jersey_Steel

It wasn't so much Megatron retreating as it was his forces. I still prefer the badass persona that the G1 character had. Your right about Optimus as well. I will say that in many instances in the cartoon Optimus seem outmatched against Megatron, but never to the point of other versions of him.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Animated Megatron is a badass.

Beast Wars/Machines Megatron is a badass. Possibly a badder-ass than G1 Megatron. Certainly smarter. Better plans. Maybe a better success rate and more impressive accomplishments than G1 Megatron, too.

6. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Animated Megatron is the closest to a fearless megatron as you can get, G1 and Movie are both pussies.

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No. Don't read to into it, at the heart of it all, it's about sellign toys, so the bad guys ghas to lose. IMO, Animated and Prime Megatron aren't wimps at all.

8. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    TFA Megatron is nowhere near a wimp.

9. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Beast Era and Animated Megatron might have a few issues with that statement.

I seem to recall Animated Megatron trashing the Autobots after his return and killing Starscream as well. I do recall Beast Era Megatron almost killing G1 Prime, almost killing off the early humans, almost destroy the Ark, took over Cybertron, and was almost a god until he was finally defeated.

10. Jersey_Steel

I count beast wars and beast machines with G1 sine they are the same continuity. I liked the idea of Animated, but ultimately it lost me with the human characters and some other quirks that made me just not pay enough attention to it. I suppose Megatron transforming into a weapon helped make him seem a little more badass as well.

11. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Well, G1 Megatron DID kill Prime, just at the cost of his own.

12. Jersey_Steel

I guess my references should be to Prime and the Bay movies.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I would prefer a Megatron who is subserviant to an omnipotent or near-omnipotent power rather than one that's a bumbling doofus like G1 Megatron.

14. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As with everyone else, I say that Animated Megatron was one of the strongest and most fearless versions of the character, as well as with BW and BM Megatron; Both of these Megatrons created plans that seemed like they could actually succeed unlike a bunch of G1 Megatron's plans. Animated and BW/BM's Megatrons also seemed much more smarter than the G1 version as well.

15. Jersey_Steel

When looking at G1 Megs I def look at season one and the movie for references since season two was more of a goofy season where specific characters got the spotlight. I wouldn't say Megs was a doofus when looking at those seasons.

16. Jersey_Steel

I get that the plans were better in BW BM and Animated, but at the same time we are looking at a character made in the 80's vs the 90's and 00's so character development is far superior now. I'm looking more at personality and general courage. I mean look at G.I. joe episodes for a bafoon for a villain .

17. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    We had that in the movies. Personally i didn't like that approach.

18. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

It doesn't bother me, not really. I never got into beast wars but have seen a few eps and honestly Megatron always seemed far more sinister in the episodes that I watched then he ever did in G1. I always thought that in G1 Galvatron was a much bigger badass than Megatron (well, until he went craaaazy), he did turn Starscream to dust when previously Megatron just kinda shrugged Starscreams plots and machinations off, but maybe that's just because he knew that he needed Starscream for his particular skills? Either way, Galvatron scared me as a child whereas Megatron didn't. I think overall I agree with you, though. The recent incarnations of Megatron do seem to lean towards a more subservient persona.

As for Optimus Prime, well he did (single handedly) take out a good portion of the decepticon forces in a short span of time in the '86 movie! He didn't take down only the weaker characters either. Up until that point I do believe he gave Megatron a lot of slack and was far too soft because that is how Optimus Prime is. I don't believe Megatron was ever stronger or a better fighting force, he was just far more ruthless and probably more cunning. OP and Megatron had so much history together and simply destroying him was something OP would not have found easy from an emotional standpoint. During the movie I think OP finally realised that "Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost" and you can hear in his voice had sad he was that he had to put the smack down once and for all. OP fought better during the battle scene (in my opinion, obviously) and while I won't blame Hot Rod for the outcome, his presence did affect what ended up happening, no clear shot for OP yada yada.

Fast forward to the other continuities and I truely believe he became weaker, he often needed assistance of some sort. Most of the time the only way the autobots could manage to beat the decepticons back was through sheer luck and a LOT of clever collaboration (which isn't a bad thing at all, it's a sign of an effective fighting force, actually). Although in the movie RoTF OP did "take you all on" and was doing a fine job! I thought that scene was very G1-esque.

I should elaborate that apart from buying the merchandise for my 4 year old son I do not have mjch experience with Transformers Animated. I just could not get into them at all and watched 4 episodes (not back to back). I might look for them on DVD and give them a whirl, but I am not particularly interested in them.....maybe that will change with more exposure?

19. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In TF Prime, Megatron's groveling was rather sudden but in the next couple episodes he goes back to how he should be; the arrogant bastard shouting no one controls him. I can chalk up the groveling to a season of him being infected with Dark Energon and it whispering to him for a long time.

20. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

I saw that the movie and Prime Megatrons both seemed like strong leader but lacked a certain quality that made them feel like that they had to be subservient to some greater force.

Did they maybe they used them as role models for the Megatron's twisted minds? Or maybe the Megaton's wanted to take their place someday and rule the universe? Megatron is power-hungry enough to do the latter. Who knows the psychological profiles of these abstract characters really is, and what drives them to do what they do.