Does this bother anybody?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Noj, May 1, 2009.

1. Noj

Noj Well-Known Member

I may be just nit picking but this is a little something that has bothered me about the first, and now thw second movie. Take a look.

sideviewmirror1.jpg sideviewmirror2.jpg

These are pictures of Bumble Bee's sideview mirror in both robot mode and vehicle mode. I always wondered why the transformers in robot mode are all beat up but when they transform to vehicle mode they become all pristine and scratch free. Why can't they be clean all the time or scratched up all the time? In fact in the first movie when Bumble Bee was the old camaro he was beat up in both modes. Once he changed to the newer camaro, the car was all clean but not in robot mode.

Am I the only one that is bothered by this?

Just wondering.

Noj

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The simple answer is that clean robots don't look real. They look like unfinished CGI renders.

There's a scene in teh first movie where BB is on the lab table, and he's clean in the light, but dirty all the other times. (to try and make his near-spottless stunt-double more believable) He really does look very fake clean.

Ben Procter's site has a lot of clean BB CGI model pictures, and again, they don't look nearly as real with out the textures.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Ha ha, with so many other things to bother me it's way down on my list of things that get to me.

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I made my own fictional explanation for this: the robots outer look is their skin and as such it heals. So when they go to robot mode, it stretches and scratches resulting in the 'dirty' look. When they go to vehicle mode, it heals and gets its shine back.

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It does irritate me a bit but I've learned to ignore it.

6. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hadn't noticed it until now, and I hope I can forget it again :( 

7. Solitary Poet

Solitary Poet The 12th Monkey

I believe they explained this one in “Transformers Animated”; electric-paint. In robot mode you see B’s true battle worn condition, but in car mode you will always see the electric-paint facade. I think it’s all part of the robots in disguise theme.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's movie magic. :) 

9. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

It's witchcraft.

10. Solitary Poet

Solitary Poet The 12th Monkey

Like I said...

Electric Paint!

11. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed this a while back and then forgot about it. It bothered me most with Optimus in the first movie because you had those beautiful closeups of the truck-pristine condition and huge square footage of perfect paint- then the robot mode was beat to hell and gone. I get the "clean robots look fake and don't let us show off the really expensive texture mapping" explanation. The "electronic paint" is a good fictional workaround, I just wish they'ed throw a line in the dialog to back that up. It's not like the first movie didn't waste plenty of time on other dialog that did little to advance the plot.

12. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I'm glad I came across your post, because I was about to start an identical one. It was the one major inconsistency that bugged me in the first movie, and I just realized how beat-up Bumblebee's bot mode is in the beginning of the trailer, compared with his immaculate alt mode as seen in the GM footage from awhile back. I understand why they do it, but it's glaringly obvious, so much so, that I'm surprised it's never addressed in the movie. If I were Sam, I'd be curious.

Also, I didn't notice it on any other bots, but I'm guessing that's because Bumblebee had the most screen time in both modes. It'll be interesting to see if the twins get the same treatment in this film.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That would probably work if Animated and Movie were the same continuity.

Which they're not.

14. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

Its a plausable explaination though - especially since the actual mechanism hasnt been established.

Another explaination that would fit with the movie canon is that the clean exterior of the vehicle mode is simply a holographic projection. We already know that both the Autobots and Decepticons can project holograms.

On a more practical level - it would be very expensive not to mention a continuity nightmare to try and keep the damage consistent between the vehicle and bot modes - and you'd still get fanboys who watch the movie frame by frame to nitpick any differences.

Personally it doesnt bother me - i'll just make up my own explaination for why it happens until canon says otherwise.

15. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was an extra thing on my Special Edition of the movie where someone was explaining that a clean robot didn't look real but the cars were so expensive that they couldn't bear to make them nasty.

As for the one about BB on the table, part of that was a giant model Bay had them make that they used robotics to animate. The giant model was clean, but I guess the CGI model wasn't.

16. misternewuzer

misternewuzer Predacon Secret Police

I'm jumping on the electronic paintjob bandwagon... though I don't like that title, haha.

I thought of this a long time ago too, and just figured it was a holographic projection of sorts. Tell me this, if a 2009 camaro is driving down the street looking like it just got into a fight with a hacksaw factory and lost.... you wouldn't think that a lil odd?

Visible Battle Damage in "infiltration mode" would defeat the purpose of being in disguise, methinks.

17. Noj

Noj Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replys. I just wondered why he was beat up in both robot and car mode when he was the old camaro. No one found it odd then.

Noj

18. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah doesn't bother me at all.

19. FreddyGruesum

FreddyGruesum Well-Known Member

I was told something similar by a hardcore fan when I saw the movie and I think it makes sense!

20. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Those are also not finished composites / renders. lol

I think thats just your opinion please dont state it as fact because of the things most people fail to realize car commercials never actually put cars on mountain tops / wierd place and half the time they are only cg in commercials. They always look clean and they definitely look real. What it really comes down to is how fast can we make this movie. Or its just michael bay stealing the concept from other directors who do it as well with out giving it any thought.

Like the plot and character desgin.