Does the world need Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by The touch79, Sep 8, 2010.

1. The touch79

The touch79 Sparticon

Hey all, I have been on youtubin' a bit today and saw jonofthesouth86's video asking if the world really needs Optimus Prime. I mean, certainly, for kids and even older fans, Optimus Prime is as good of a role model as you can get. I feel the show creators will never make a story without Optimus Prime because you can't top his character as a leader. He is transformers. So do you guys think the world needs Optimus Prime?

2. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime is a good role model for people of all ages..not just kids..but if the "world" whether fictional or not has Megatron types, then it must have Optimus Prime types.. 2 sides=1 coin, neither is perfect..which is realistic.. you don't appreciate good without evil..gotta know chaos to appreciate order..etc.

3. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    I haven't seen a proper Optimus Prime since G1 ended (never watched RID or the Unicron Trilogy), and those few seconds in the Movies where he goes Dinobot on all of them and stops Demolisher and Bonecrusher. And if I remember correctly we're seeing less and less of those kinds of characters on TV.

I will say that if Prime does the transformers justice, then it would be ok with me if they retired the charactor as the default lead in all the shows, just as long as they don't come up with disasters like Season 3.

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Beast Wars got along just fine without ol' O.P.

5. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

He's a good role model no matter what age you are. We should all aspire to his levels of compassion, nobility and conviction. I used to find him whiney when I was younger but that was my own immaturity. Even Michael Bay portrayed him excellently in the first film. His speech at the observatory never fails to inspire me.

I also liked his Dreamwave portrayal. As Megatron tries to convince him that humans are evil and unworthy of protection, he acknowledges that they are imperfect beings but some of them do aspire to better themselves and it's for those few that he fights. It's a beautiful sentiment. As long as one good person exists, he'll fight for that same person.

I also love his speech at the end as Superion takes off about how his directives tell him that should he send troops into battle, he can expect to lose some. But what they don't tell him is how much it hurts. Every time.

His line in Marvel always stuck with me. "For an Autobot, for any sane being, to fight should always be the last option." I'm pretty sure he expanded on it by saying even then, it should only be to protect those that cannot protect themselves, and tempered with mercy.

I also liked his line when mourning the death of Ratchet - "Giving up is never the answer!"

Those lines have stuck with me all my adult life and there are far worse words to live by.

I've always been a fan of Batman, part of me wishes I could be cold and ruthless when needed like him but Prime thought me that compassion is not a weakness. The world tries to tell us that you have to be ruthless, cold, untouchable. There's so much postering as noone wants to appear weak believing that any display of compassion or caring is a weakness. Everyone wants to be a badass but as I said Prime shows us that compassion is not a weakness, indeed it may be our greatest strength.

I always liked his line "Till all are one!" I'd like to believe that someday, people will stop labelling each other, focussing on our differences when we should look at the common ground between us and realise that we are all one race, and we are stronger together than apart. Differences aren't necessarily bad things. Sometimes a different perspective can be refreshing, allowing us to look at the world in different ways or see alternative solutions to problems which previously confounded us.

Does the world need Optimus Prime? Maybe not but it could do an awful lot worse.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime is just a name. Look at Animated Optimus Prime, almost completely different yet a great character in his own right.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

True...........but Optimus Primal was very much like OP in my opinion.

8. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    F*ck the world. I NEED HIM!!!!!!!

9. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

I personally am really sick of Optimus Prime! Is he the the figurehead, yes, but I don't think the fandom NEEDS need him.

Hell, I'm dying for a new cast of characters, especially a different main character!

10. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  11. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

More likely, the show creators will never make a story without Optimus Prime because he sells the brand. Even when they kill him, he never stays dead long.

12. MrTuesday

MrTuesday Well-Known Member

1987-1989 Japan got along just fine without Optimus Prime

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

He's gone way past icon status already. No way the world will ever be without him now.
    Love him/ hate him, you're going to see more of him.

14. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    for target practice...sure

15. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with you MPL You cannot have a world that's full of evil [Megatron] you have to have both good[Optimus Prime] and evil. Optimus is a very good role model not only for the kids but for everyone. for me personally I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Optimus.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I can live without having Prime around. I rather have a real Optimus Primal instead.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  17. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

To my knowledge, Optimus Prime has never stalked Elita-1.

But the "classic" depiction of Optimus Prime is a nuanced leader with a lot of really desirable traits. I will agree that his compassion is a strength; it makes his troops trust him and do anything he asks, because they absolutely know he wouldn't ask if it weren't necessary and that he'd never ask anything he wasn't willing to do himself. But in no way does he let his innate compassion get in the way of necessary actions.

When even someone like Grimlock respects you, you're doing something right.

- Coeloptera

18. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Um... not really. They just did the cute name swap because it was fitting. He was for the most part an evolution of Prime. I liked Prime in Cybertron, they tried to make him like his G1 namesake. Animated's Prime was still Prime, just younger and more carefree.

Fact is, Optimus Prime is too good of a name to be out of Transformers for long. His name alone interested me in the brand as a child, once I saw the cartoon it was a wrap. Starscream and Megatron are the same, really good names with iconic characterizations that help keep the brand viable. I liked them on name alone too.

Personally, I would like to see a series where there are all new Autobots and Decepticons, but somewhere towards the end of the series, a select few like Op, Megs, Starscream, Ironhide are macguffined into the series and wreak havoc. Maybe have them as a united Cybertronian front trying to defeat the Autobots and Decepticons to end the war.

The real world doesn't need Prime, but I think it will always have him. He's pretty much the equivalent of a robotic Superman, and the live action movies will help keep him viable for quite some time.

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Evolution? Seriously?
    Look, I bear no ill of Primal, but lets not pretend that this individual can hold a candle to G1 Prime.

Primal was a sub commander, and it was all he could do to handle the skirmishes on pre-historic earth. There is no way on God's green earth that he could sholder the burdon any real Prime has to bear.

Evolution? No- de-evolution.

20. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Amen :thumbs2:  To quote G1, Prime is Primo!