Does the Voice fit?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by JimTheJIRRMan, Jun 27, 2011.

1. JimTheJIRRMan

JimTheJIRRMan Ensign

News Credits:
    I thought this might be a fun thread. I haven't seen a thread like this, so i thought I otta give it a try. All cartoons and animated characters revolve around the voices they posses. The voice can characterize a character in many ways, even be a factor in identifying the character. No animated series shows this fact better than Transformers. The voice actors are unique and they portray every character well. My question to fellow board members is: Which Transformers Character (from any continuity, whether it be G1, movieverse, or anywhere in between) has the best fitting voice (To both their appearance and personality)? I hope this leads to a fun discussion!

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    G1 Optimus, G1 Bumblebee, G1 Unicron, G1 Galvatron and most of the BW and TFA casts all have very fitting voices.

G1 Shockwave was a total disappointment. The voice I had in my head when I was reading his comic exploits was far colder and scarier than what the cartoon gave us.

3. JimTheJIRRMan

JimTheJIRRMan Ensign

News Credits:
    Agreed on shcokwave. While still kind of a good voice, its not too fitting for the character.

4. JimTheJIRRMan

JimTheJIRRMan Ensign

News Credits:
    I think that Cullen's G1 performance was hindered by the audio recording quality of 80's cartoons. It made Optimus's voice sound higher pitched than it actually was recorded. My proof? In TF: The Movie (1986) his voice sounds just like it does in today's movies, even though it's slightly different in the G1 series, which makes sense, because they could probably afford higher budget audio recordings in a feature film opposed to the lower quality ones for a kids animated show. That's why i'm not the biggest fan of the G1 Optimus voice. I do love Cullen in more recent TF performances, though!

5. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

this!

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    The ones I never liked...

Beast Wars Prime and especially Megatron. I can't even put into words how much I hate that version of Megatron to be completely honest.

Movie Megatron, The Fallen & Soundwave. Hugo Weaving's a great actor and I like a lot of what he does, but I have loathed his boring take on Megatron from day one. Tony Todd as The Fallen was ridiculous imo and just made me think of a bad cartoon villain. And Frank Welker as Soundwave, what should have a been dream come true, had his contribution squashed by them leaving Soundwave's voice in Dr. Claw mode. It just made him sound exactly like The Fallen.

Animated Swindle. Don't know why, but I just didn't like Fred Willard coming out of that character. Didn't work for me.

Also never took to the voicing of G1 Skyfire, Smokescreen, Beachcomber, Red Alert, Superion, Metroplex, Trypticon or Seaspray.

By contrast to a couple of posts above, G1 Shockwave has actually always been one of my all time favorites. When Burton reprised it for Animated, that for me was the equivalent of Cullen & Welker reprising Prime & Megatron years later.

7. JimTheJIRRMan

JimTheJIRRMan Ensign

News Credits:
    ???????????????????

8. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I have a soft spot for both Animated and Movie Megatrons.

The inflections and accent on anything Animated Megatron says is brilliant.

Movie side I love Weaving as an actor, and i love the voice for megatron - the highlights for RotF for me was whenever Megs said things. Such a nice voice, backed up by the low pitched, internal growling.

"There's something on your mind. Something i need. Doctor, examine this... alien."

Love that line.

I actually like most of the movie voices, now that I come to think of it. It amuses me to think that whilst learning the languages most of the Autobots seemed to pick up british accents in the process - even Bumblebee, who's voice was one of the few from the movies that I hate. Really needed to be a bit younger, I think, if his childlike mannerisms elsewhere in the films are to be believable.

Also Scalpel/The Doctor. Who needs a role in Prime as Airachnid's deranged Nazi medic.

Really the Movies in general, besides Bumblebee, always sound so good. I could listen to them talk all day. (Which is precisely what will never happen. :( )

9. JimTheJIRRMan

JimTheJIRRMan Ensign

News Credits:
    I agree. I Liked that line, too. I think it was the third best line in the film, and it was really well executed by weaving.

10. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

G1 Starscream.

Latta's voice was magnificent. Scheming, arrogant, vicious, and craven. It just suited the character to utter perfection. I don't think his performance has yet been matched despite the exceptionally talented voice actors to come after.

- Coeloptera

11. JimTheJIRRMan

JimTheJIRRMan Ensign

News Credits:
    idk why, but my favorite G1 Starscream line is "The eyes have it." from TF: The movie. It just sounded so cool in his voice.

12. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Agreed.
    Of course, Corey Burton is a GOD, but I think that even his Animated-Megatron voice was more fitting to Shockwave than the one he ACTUALLY used for the character [well, we can't blame him though, he probably wasn't aware the character was such a BAMF in the comics at that time].

On the more fittting voice, I say there's the true, and uncontestable winner to every TF fan:

this.

But I'll go saying the more fitting voice BESIDES Cullen's liquid awesomeness poured into your ears:

this.
    Best. Starscream. Ever.

this
    "I NEEDED THAT!"
    Best. Ratchet. Ever.

Honorable mention to:

this

"BEHOLD THE ETERNAL GLORY OF JET-FIRAHH!"
    Damn, I love that voice.

13. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Everyone raves about Cullen's Prime and rightly so. But what about his G1 Ironhide? That was a great voice despite my usual dislike of accents on Transformers. Really conveyed a sense of toughness. Love the line: "Soon as Ratchet tightens a few bolts, I'll be right back in action!"

All of the MTMTE cast were perfect. Outside that: Nimoy's Galvatron and now, Sentinel Prime. Headstrong, Nelson's Hot Rod, Springer, Snarl.

Only G1 character whose voice was terrible was Red Alert. Outback, my first Tf, was given a lousy, stereotypical accent.

Other voices I liked outside G1:

BW Inferno
    BW Silverbolt
    BW Megatron
    Depth Charge
    Animated Prowl
    Lugnut
    Slipstream

Voices I disliked are usually accents. Just don't think they seem right on alien robots.

The worst were Energon Ironhide, Jetfire (Energon, Cybertron and ROTF), Scalpel, Rattrap, Quickstrike.

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'd agree with G1 Starscream. Latta is the default voice I hear for any incarnation of Starscream (although Blum is a strong second).

15. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

G1 Starscream - cold, screeching, cowardly, arrogant
    G1 Cliffjumper - over eager, angry and chirpy all in one
    G1 Hound - passified from years of close-quarters warfare
    G1 Ironhide - because whiskey does that to your throat
    TFA Lockdown - because Lance Henrikson is bad ass
    TFA Sentinel Prime - SPoooooooooN

And the one thing, the only thing, that got me bristling about ROTF was Frank Welker's Soundwave.

To contradict myself a bit, I'm saying my new favourite is TFP Starscream. Absolutely stone-cold on the character, rather than just aping G1.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I thought Cybertron Jetfire's voice was awesome. I wish they always had Jetfire Australian in all continuities (excluding ROTf as it works better with Scottish) Hell in WFC Jetfire Troy Baker uses a Australian accent for him.

17. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

*looks at Outback*

Hmmm, lets limit how much Oi! we have in our Transformers, though.

18. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    I tought movie verse Sideswipe had a fitting voice.

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Have to mention G1 Starscream by Chris Latta. Along with Cullen's many Primes, one of the greatest Transformer voices ever. Beast Wars Megs and Primal by Kaye and Chalk respectively are also right up there.

Tbf, there are so many awesome voices, especially in Beast Wars. Scott McNeill deserves a medal for what he did in that show!

I can't really think of too many voices I really disliked, but most of the G1 season 3 cast (Rodimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Kup etc) who had different VAs from the movie continues to bother me to this day.

20. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Out of the voices, I prefer Steve Blum for Starscream, Frank Welker's TFP Megatron, and Peter Cullen's RotF/DotM Optimus (which is distinct from both his Movie 1 and Prime versions). Jeffery Coombs makes an excellent Ratchet as well.