Does the song "Dare" rip off Dancouga?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Fe 26, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Are you suggesting that TF's stole from Go-bots?

2. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I asume where talking about background music sounds & pacing. as both songs are clearly in a different language.

I just had the dis-pleasure of listing to both songs.

the dare song clearly has air guitar sounds while the dancouga songs does not.

both songs are using different drum sounds. the dare songs sounds like a regular real life drum being played. while the dancouga version sounds like the drum is made of titanium steel as it sounds like metal banging against metal.

both songs appear to be using recorded sounds & recorded instruments. both songs appear to use made up & recorded sounds that mock real life musical instruments.
    the dare song seems to use more recodred sounds that sound close to real life instruments. while the dancouga songs uses more recorded sounds that sound less like real life musical instruments.

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    No. They're comparing how the intro and some bits in the middle of the Dancougar song are very similar to the song Dare.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

:lolol :lolol :lolol :lolol :lolol :lolol :lolol 

6. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The drum track actually sounds programmed, made up of electronic samples. The snare is especially telling. Notice how every snare hit sounds essentially the same? Anyway, many of the drum fills and patterns are actually quite similar between the two songs.

Maybe your post is some crazy parody that went over my head but rather than focus on how they were recorded the important thing is the music itself.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  7. Hook

Hook The real Constructicon leader Veteran

News Credits:
    Not exactly, but close. Tonka imported Bandai's Machine Robo toy line in 1983, shortly after finding out that Hasbro was doing something similar with Takara's Diaclone and Microman series. Go-Bots came out a year before Transformers, but Habro bought them out to shut them down, which explains why almost 20 years later, they released Playskool Go-Bots, as a preschool Transformers toyline.

More info here Gobots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

True ,Hasbro bought them out, but face it....that was only possible because Go-bots had failed to keep up interest in the western markets.

And BTW, thats not even close to stealing.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Similar, sure. So are a lot of songs.

Yeah, that's DEFINITELY a drum machine. All of Dicola's songs on the TFTM soundtrack use drum machines. I'll reserve my drum machine rant for another thread ;) 

Also LOL @ "Air Guitar sounds" That's an inernet meme waiting to happen.

10. Blitzving

Blitzving Has issues...

Im not really hearing it... AT ALL

I have no idea where you're seeing it, or rather "hearing " it

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you don't at least recognize the opening riff, then you need your hearing checked.

The rest of the song itself isn't so much a direct rip, but a number of the instrumental cues seem to take their cues from Dare.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    While Vince DiCola is a noted keyboardist, he was a percussion major in college (Vince DiCola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I'd venture to say that he programmed percussive beats and made the tracks himself (either on a keyboard, a miced acoustic drum set, or an electronic drum set) to make the taks of the one-man instrumental composition easier. For the video game, I'd simply say that the reasoning there was the output medium being electronic (and probably a midi file, since it's from the 80s).

Also, since when did playing air guitar make any kind of sound on its own? :lol 

13. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if I'm taking this the right way, but just in case, I wasn't trying to take away any credit from him. I know the word "sample" can be ugly, but all I meant is that the drum sound seems like an electronic kit to me, made up of separate samples of snares, kick drums, etc. Of course Vince performed them somehow, and there are various ways that could have been done, so I didn't touch it. I only wanted to let the guy know that's not a "live" drum sound as he suggested, for whatever stupid reason. I make electronic music myself so I certainly wasn't being defensive, i.e. EWW NO REAL DRUMS ARE BETTER. I quite like the sound of the drums on Vince's stuff really.

I've seen video of Vince playing drums fo reelz in studio before. Strong, driving stuff just like that of the TF soundtrack :D 

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  14. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Naw, man, I didn't take your post that way at all. Basically, it was my futile attempt to add to what you were saying. I felt that the most comprehensive way to do that was to quote both ends of the discussion there. That, added to me not feeling the most articulate tonight, was probably my best way to avoid being completely confusing. :lol 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Vince recorded the drum sounds himself and then proceeded to play the sounds on an electronic drum kit. He's always came across to me as a musical perfectionist (which I find is a good thing) :) 

15. tehCal

tehCal wherever you are i am not

Do... do you even have ears?

You can play both songs together and the first thirteen seconds would sync up perfectly (though the Japanese version is slightly off key and the video has roughly a second of silence before the song starts).

Then, apart from the different singing styles and a few instrumental flourishes (and the Dancouga version has a slapped-in solo... which is just a crappy version of the solo that plays behind the final chorus in "Dare"), the rest of the song displays heaps of stolen elements. Down to the same guitar riffs/melodies and a modified version of the same synth.

Listen to the instrumental break from 2:25-2:53 of "Dare". Now listen to the same instrumental break in the Dancouga song from 1:22-1:48. Not only is it the same melody and beat, but it is the same tempo and would be the same length if the Dancouga version didn't cut out the last two seconds that and jump straight into the verse.

All in all, the Dancouga song is a cheesy rearranged cover of "Dare" with different vocal lines thrown over the top.

16. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Im surprised in 6 pages no ones translated it yet. Seems like for all anyone knows, it might just be a straight cover lol >.>

17. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Good point. Anyone?

18. Starblaze Prime

Starblaze Prime Daughter of Primus

I'd be interested to know what the translation of it is as well.

As for who ripped off who I'm betting "Dare" was the one that got ripped off if indeed it was stolen from in the first place. Anime was not a big thing in the 80s like it is now and there were only two ways to have it. You either had to have the money and knowledge of it to have it imported straight from Japan or you had to be lucky enough to have a series picked up stateside. There were a very few that were at that time. Neither would likely have been the case here, especially given that any series that was picked up stateside had new music written for it in an effort to "Americanise" it.

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

"Very few"????

What are you talking about???

I guess that depends on your definition of "few".

The 1980s is known best as the Golden Age of Anime. This decade featured the most new anime on American television. 21 new shows aired in this decade.

I can remember a good number of impoted shows in the 80's.Voltron:lion
    Voltron:car
    Battle of the plantes
    Gicantor
    Speed Racer
    Astro boy
    Robotech
    Force Five

20. Starblaze Prime

Starblaze Prime Daughter of Primus

And I remember each one of those from back in the day. What I meant was very few compared to the what people can watch today of one includes youtube and such. :)  Anime is literally everywhere nowadays but that was definantly not the case in the 80's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.