Does the protoform depend on the size?!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jimmy88, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Jimmy88

Jimmy88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey dudes whats goin on, Jimmy here from Autobot City, and I was meaning to bring this up earlier and not sure if someone brought this up already so here it is. My bro and I have had this dispute on and off if a protoforms size depends on the type of vehicle he or she scans. I strongly believe it does but my bro doesnt think so. It all started with the little Datsun. I was thinking that the Datsun isnt Bumblebee and just another car that Sam drives in the mean time. I thought this because the Datsun is about a tad over half the size of the Camaro and that the whole structure of Bee would be different. From there we were going back and forth that it doesnt matter the size(my bro who thinks the Datsun is Bee) vs. the size does matter(me). Naming different scenarios evening my bro thinking(when the fire truck was thought to be Rodimus Prime) that Rodimus scans the Ferrari, gets damaged, then scans the fire truck, which I thought to be pretty stupid and lacking reality of how the same character can go from 20-25 ft tall to 40 ft. I am for the TF scanning with what fits his or her proportions, what are your guys thoughts and which do you prefer????

2. Jolt Customs

Jolt Customs Seacon

im right there with ya..or else we would have had MEGA SIZED WHEELIE :bay 

3. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

The Datsun 510 is 163.2 in (4145 mm) long, 61.4 in (1560 mm) widen and 64.5 in (1638 mm) high.
    The camaro is 190.4 in (4,840 mm) long, 75.5 in (1,920 mm) wide and 54.2 in (1,380 mm) high. so difference beetween the two cars isnt that big.

4. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Bee's 78'( is that the correct year?) is a very small car, not Datsun small but the new Camaro looks like a Road pig next to it. Ive always ignored the mass shifting or size changing issues. They've existed since G1. I think if a medium sized character, say Ironhide scanned the Peterbilt he would come out Prime size, just due the all the extra truck parts that would contribute to his bot mode. The real debate seems to be can or could He scan the Peterbilt if he wanted to. I think its just a common sense thing between the bots. I dont think Frenzy in the movie verse could scan anything much bigger than that cd player, and I dont think Bee could scan the Peterbilt, let a lone a firetruck or tank.

5. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I'm with you Jimmy.

6. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

Yeah it's not soo much the dimensions of the altmode as it is how well they could sqeeze their total mass into it. or the opposite. Bee couldn't become a tank because he just doesn't have enough mass.

7. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Sums it up, pretty good.

8. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Excellent point my good man:) 

9. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Dude I love it, see thats exactly what I thought, even more so I think the design would have to be factored in as well. On the DVD extras they say that there isnt any cheating going on and that every piece of the car goes somewhere, so they have to base the character off of the cars dimensions and parts, it is insane to even think about what goes into designing one of the characters transformations.....

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    As already siad, it's much more about what they could squeeze themselves into, or expand into. It has to at least look like it's possible. Like Frenzy who's thin, lanky and has lots of hollow spaces and flat panels that make up his form turning into a smaller but more compact and solid boombox. Then there's Starscream who's "short" (I.e., roughly the same height as Prime and Megs) but very wide so as to account for an entire plane. I see it like there's leeway. They can make up for extra size with hollow spaces or flatten out the panels to get smaller, but ultimately it's what's practical for the robot in question.

11. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Dude nicely put, I would so like to see them experiment with bots having more than one form more often but of course the forms would be similar:) 

12. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I read in a guide book (I think) that the protoform can only scan an alt mode that has equal mass to the protoform. That is why Jazz for example can't scan a bigger car or Optimus can't scan a smaller truck. The point is, that if that car is smaller or bigger than Bumblebee's car at the moment then chance that it is Bumblebee is small. If the camero is bigger than the Datsun then that would qualify as "mass-shifting" and this movie doesn't do that. The camero is more suited to Bumblebee's protoform mass. Hope that helps.

13. ChicageauxTiger

ChicageauxTiger Geaux-Bot

News Credits:
    It's all movie magic physics overlooked by filmakers and not meant to be explained (like R2 units "fitting" in the Jedi Starfighters ... they're impossible to fit without dangling below the wing).

Only us dorks care enough to try figuring this all out. :lol 

14. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    ....they fit just fine when you look at the film :crazy: 

15. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Proto forms are not how every transformer comes into existance.

most transformers from way back then now & future get built in factories.

from my understanding in beastwars & animated. Proto forms acts as EMERGENCY warriors put on space ships. in case extra muscle is needed in battle.

to answer the thread question. BW Rampage was huge because his proto form pod was gigantic.

16. ChicageauxTiger

ChicageauxTiger Geaux-Bot

News Credits:
    Look again, drunky pants. :drunk 

17. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    I dont want to de-rail the thread going off topic, so out of curiousity today I sat down and watched ESB and there is a clear shot in the beginning in the Hoth hanger of an x-wing surrounded by droids and it was more than big enough for one to fit and still have a foot of head sticking out.

18. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    ahh yes "Protoform X" :D