does the marvel gi joe series ever get exciting?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by ckhtiger, Dec 2, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so I just started reading the marvel series from the 80's. the first half dozen or so are sleep inducing. they are filled with ridiculous exposition, as in like when somebody refers to something that is an acronym, they also then say what it stands for, and it's filled with as much or more bumbling enemies than the cartoon. before I embark on reading the other 140 issues, I was just curious, should I even bother, or should I just jump into the devil's due series?

2. Shokaract

Shokaract Banned

Its been a while since I've read them, but I think things start to improve once serpentor shows up and the whole cobra civil war dealy happens. I was a lot younger when I read them though, and much more easily amused.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

It starts to improve around issue 30 and keeps up for quite some time. But yyeah, those original ten-twenty issues were boring has hell.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, I concur with this.

I can't remember issue numbers, but the storyline that has the one SAW Viper was bad-ass from start to finish.

I think that corresponds with Zartan's display of archery skills, which was also excellent.

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I'm completely of the opposite opinion. I think #1-50 are the best of the run and hold that version of G.I.Joe much more sacred than the toon. I'll grant that the first nine issues seem more like one shots rather than part of a cohesive whole, but they do at least serve to flesh out the personalities of the original 13, introduce the Oktober Guard in 6-7, and plant a few seeds for things to come.

Starting with #10, you start getting into Springfield, Destro, Sierra Gordo, Snake-Eyes before he became Superman, and things just keep snowballing until the invasion of Springfield in #50, which I consider to be kinda the end of 'Volume 1.'

Lotta good stuff in #51-100 of course, but after that, Snake-Eyes starts to get too omnipresent, the return of Cobra Commander, while welcome, can't help but feel a little contrived, and the never-ending need for Hama to work in as many of the new, often sillier characters and vehicles at the expense of the old, quickly starts to take its toll.

6. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I loved the first issues, and lost interest somewhere in the late 50's as I recall. Its been awhile since I read them though, probably 15 years or so.

7. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the Marvel TPBs and for the most part, they're pretty good. The best issue IMHO by far is # 34:

[​IMG]

The dialogue and the ending between Wild Weasel and Ace was awesome.

8. smkspy

Though I have to say that the whole Snake-Eyes wanting revenge on the Baroness for shooting Scarlett arc was amazing. It was definitely the peak of the series, and things started to go downhill after that.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    50-100 is pretty great especially around 60-80.

i love the whole revelation with fred/cc, blind master and zartan, snake eyes saga. lotta good shit with great action right there. incredulous inverted tomahawk aerial save FTW.

things started to go to pot when they killed buncha good guys in that pit by that viper dude.

edit: hmm, funneh, some o y'all seem to favor the 1st 50. i always thought the middle part was where hama found his stride.whats that lummox of a dreadnoks name? the one who was in love zarana and would alternate between dumb speak and shakespeare quoting? he funny.

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

hey hey watch it guys, spoiler tags!!! geez, tryin to make me not read anything at all or something?

11. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Nobody likes the transformers archs?It is the first app. of thier Gen.2 modes. The series does have a couple of duds in it,but overall,it is a good series.A couple of highlights off the top of my head....#34 it makes you respect Wild Weasel.The Cobra Civil war arch and the S.A.W viper story.

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

actually, while we're on the topic, are there any ongoing series still, or did it end with devil's due 40-whatever? also, was there any attempt to make the dreamwave and devil's due gijoe/tf crossovers work, or were they two different series that happen to be being published at almost the same time? I found that quite confusing.

13. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

DDP is still going,They have Elite going right now.It will end with the WWIII arch.Both crossovers buy the companys were stand alone.IDW WWII style crossover was badass.Thier second one,Divided front i think it was.Only got 1 issue,i think that is when they started having all thier problems.

14. smkspy

I sure wish some company or the very least marvel would release the rest of TPBs. I hate only having up to issue 50 to read.

15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

thanks, I've actually spent the last hour researching the comics on yojoe.com. downloading elite right now!

16. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    I gotta say.. I literally dozed off a few times reading the first few issues..

I liked the appearance of kwinn that was good. I'm still in the second volume of the the TPB and it's picking up for me. Even though I dozed a bit, I like all the stories.. it really helps me remember the characters.. there's so many characters.

I got a wierd question.. if anyone can help me out.

Sometimes.. i see panels where the person has a teardrop on their cheek.. but they never say anything about it.. was there a reason for it?

for example..: SPOILERRRRRRRRR

When they think snake-eyes, kwinn, dr. venom are dead (they were in a bunker underwater) ... scarlett had a tear but they never show her sad or anything... and i think she was being told that they'd be briefed once they got on a plan for a mission...

Then there was an even MORE confusing scene when snake eyes, kwinn, venom escape the bunker and try to land a plane on the beaches of florida without any landing gear... there's 2 old couples just talking about life.. watching the plan cmoe.. and they're talking nonsense.. and the old guy has a tear on his cheek.. I wish i had the books right now to reference from..

--------end

17. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I finally got through the first dozen issues. now that "reinforcements" are showing up, basically the second year of figures, it's gotten A LOT better.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think you will enjoy the read.
    The first few issues are kind of boring, but they are good character introductions.
    There is a lot of stuff that the cartoon could never do. **REAL BULLETS**
    I think the cartoon got lame when Serpentor showed up, but he was a compelling antagonist in the comic.

Also, the creation of Cobra Island was genius.

I don't know if that was exactly Hama's "need", or a mandate from Hasbro.
    Take a look at the GI Joe toy catalog for those years. It is huge. Hasbro wanted those guys to show up in the book so kids would want to buy them.

The Transformers book was in a similar situation during that time period.

I believe you mean Dream Wave's World War II crossover -not IDW.
    And, while I admit that the story elements were nice the majority sentiment on that book seems to be that it was a disaster.

The artwork focused on obscure angles (shoulders, hands) and everyone was shrouded in darkness.
    It was nigh impossible to tell who was speaking and what was going on.

There have been a few threads on the subject here.

19. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

That's what I meant...not that Hama had some deep personal need to write an issue pimping the Thunderclap. He had to feature the new characters and vehicles as they came because that's what was on shelves. It was like that from the beginning of of course, it was just easier to swallow when we were being sold the early, cool shit like the Moray than the later cringeworthy stuff like the Battle Wagon and Eco-Warriors. All in all, Hama did an excellent job given that he had to do that. Without him, there wouldn't be a current comic, free to draw from the better elements of the mythos he created while ignoring the dead weight.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Now that I reread your post I see exactly what you mean.
    Hama didn't need to do it because of personal motives, he needed to do it because Hasbro told him to -sorry.

And to answer Faceless, I liked when Megatron showed up and Transformers G2 began, but the original Transformers and GI Joe by Marvel is complete crap. I was in middle school at the time and thought it was garbage then.