Does the marketing for this seem lame?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by encline, Dec 11, 2008.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Besides fans and a few other people that are into movies, not a whole lot of people even know about ROTF. I just saw the trailer for Terminator Salvation (looks good) and all the other summer movies. Does this this lame or smart?
    I am torn.

2. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Don't worry, the marketing will kick in and it will kick in big time. To be honest there's not much point advertising it this far away - it's already an established "franchise" that has successfully transitioned over to the live action movie realm. Taking off in February is a logical plan despite all the nerd rage.

3. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And, February is 4 months away from the actual release date. There's plenty of time for the movie hype to build up from that point.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It would be nice to start seeing some stuff to get things going again, but for some reason they haven't pushed out much of anything yet on either Transformers or GI Joe. If not for my fellow fans there wouldn't be much of any reminder about these films.

Yes I know at some point we are going to be just flooded with stuff related to both films but there is just so much nothing to deal with between now and a push.

5. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

There's tons of time.

6. DrLee

DrLee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesn't sem lame to me.....

It IS LAME.... four months to advertise a summer blockbuster... who's stupid idea was that?

I cannot understand why bay and co have p'd away the chance to advertise the movie during Christmas.... just think how much the anticipation would go up by if they had a trailer out now?

7. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
    While different, the marketing isn't lame. Four months is plenty of time. It's not like the average movie goer needs to mark his calendar NOW to save that date. I can't imagine the average movie viewer watching the new Wolverine trailer this weekend going ""ZOMG! I must mark this in my calendar so I don't forget about it almost 7 months from now!"

It's an established franchise that is going to have tons of promotion once it gears up. The promotion of the movie will be all out crazy once the premiere date draws near and that's going to be when the average movie goer starts thinking about saving the date.

All promoting the movie now would do is cost Paramount extra advertising dollars. Launching the promotion two months earlier is not going to create any substantial increase in movie profits. Launching around Christmastime won't do a thing, as there is no product tied to the movie that in turn create profit.

Does holding back the promotion piss off a lot of die-hard online fans? Sure. Does it affect your average movie goer by waiting a couple months. No.

8. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Its about the same that it was for the first movie. this one is coming in late though. The first movie didnt have its full marketing push until about 3 months before hand.

9. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

They probably count on the fact that the first one was so successful so they don't need much marketing for the second one. They assume that the success of the first one will help the second one.

10. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

You can bet your last dollar that the trailer will be before Watchmen. That will be all of the advertisement they need.

11. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    The promotions will come, we just need to sit tight and be patient.

12. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Watchmen is going to be rated R, so I doubt it.

13. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think I have ever seen people upset about not being advertised to before.

14. MBSHOOT

MBSHOOT Well-Known Member

People have been saying that about every new movie in the last month or two. So half the people hear could give a Rats ass about that statment...lol

I think the more they piss us off by not showing anything the better an audience they think they will get... Dont know how that will work, but will see.

But i really couldnt care less... Im going to be watching it on DVD.

15. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Doubt it, i dont think they will debute the trailer before a movie where limitd people will see it, i never heard of Watchman so i wont be seeing that movie and im sure im not alone.

A more sure bet will be during the Super Bowl, what better way to anounce a new movie then during an event that people of all ages will be watching... I dont think they will pass up the chance to have millions of people to see it around the world all at once:) ... January you will get the trailer and then all the marketing will take over after that i think ..

16. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't get why people would be getting pissed off. I really don't. I have been trying but I can't. Not having been shown a teaser trailer yet is really that bad? Really? Come on, really?

See you at the theater.

17. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    Uh, dude, Watchmen is one of the most high-profile releases of next year; it's based on one of the most famous and acclaimed comic books of all time, is being relentlessly hyped by every single movie and comic magazine and is directed by Zack Snyder, whose last film 300 grossed $70 million in its opening weekend. It's a big, BIG deal, and is playing to the exact same sci-fi/comic-book action demographic that Transformers plays to,a mere three months before RotF launches. Don't get me wrong, the Super Bowl is going to be a prime opportunity as well, but pre-Watchmen is just as safe a bet.

In any case, I don't particularly understand all this impatience to see the advertising for the film. At the end of the day, it doesn't make a difference whether we see a trailer now or on the day before the film is released; either way, we still aren't going to get to watch the movie - ie, the actual product that we're supposed to be anticipating here - until June 26th. Yes, previews are nice to whet the appetite, but the way people have been raving and hand-wringing over this you'd think that the teaser poster itself was the be-all and end-all. And as for the suggestion that the marketing has been botched... get a grip, people! There are highly paid marketers in charge of the RotF campaign, with many years of experience behind them; the idea that they're going to neglect or deliberately try to piss off the potential consumers of the sequel to a $700 million worldwide smash is beyond ludicrous. We'll see RotF previews when the time is right; until then, we just have to sit tight and be patient.

18. DrLee

DrLee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the lack of a trailer isn't the problem i have with the marketing... it's the lack of any kind of marketing at all... we haven't had any posters.... not even a simple black screen with the movie name and 'coming 2009'

19. MBSHOOT

MBSHOOT Well-Known Member

you know how to cut to the core of me baxter...

hah yeah i will see it in theaters...

as for the trailer thing i could care less... i just think they are getting cocky like this movie is ganna be better then the batman sequel..

20. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    how can the marketing be lame when there is no marketing. Better no marketing, than lame marketing. It markets itself on it owns through word of mouth an internet fandom