Does the cost of shipping matter anymore?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exclusacon, Mar 29, 2011.

1. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I see people talking about they can't find this or that, when its available online for retail. But most of the people say " I don't wanna pay for shipping"....don't get me wrong the thrill of the hunt feels good when you find something. With gas being expensive, shoddy distribution, movie line coming soon. Online is your best bet. I have order almost everything online the past few months. I have complete Generations and RtS so far right now. The frustration of not finding figs is gone. I can sit back and chill....

So my question is Does shipping cost really matters?

With combine shipping costs and discount codes it shouldn't.

2. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    I think it depends... like you touched on, some people enjoy the thrill of the hunt, and in my case, when I'm really looking for a figure it gives me a reason to get excited when I'm forced to go to Target or Walmart (with the wifey, when we need household products, etc.). But, in general, with the price of gas sky high the price to ship a figure will probably all even out in the long run.

Now...if only BBTS would do a nice shipping discount/free shipping...

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    only time now i hunt for figures is when it ISN'T availible online, like RTS grapple

4. exclusacon

News Credits:
    Well BBTS Pile of loot is genius...no matter how you POL is, the shipping really low....

5. exclusacon

News Credits:
    What I do is, if I know everybody shows a lot interest in a figure, I preordered it. Since in my area there is a lot of hunters, prey can be pretty low. Plus Grapple was short packed, 1 per case...

6. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    If I can combine shipping or have something like a POL, then no shipping doesn't matter much since per figure it's a minimal amount. However if I were to have to pay shipping for each figure then yes it matters and would end up preventing alot of online shopping for me.

7. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    I figure a couple trips to some stores in a 5-10 mile radius eats up enough gas for me to buy online and justify the shipping costs. It's probably not really worth just buying one figure unless it's something that may never reach retail. Besides the shipping costs are not that bad.

8. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i pre-order when it becomes availible, there is bots like warpath and grapple i missed out on pre-orders cause they were gone in lest than 3 minutes for the most part

i finally snagged a pre-order for grapple at HTS after months of hell

9. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I gotta drive by 2-3 Target stores on my way to work so I don't mind hunting. I'll buy from HTS when there's free shipping or a coupon, but I refuse to pay the huge markups at TFSource or BBTS.

10. exclusacon

News Credits:
    I agree...I refuse to buy a deluxe for 25$....I live in what I wanna call a toy playground, 4 Targets, 2 Trus, 3 Kohls, 4 Walmarts, 2 Marshalls, 2 TJMaxxs, 5- 10 miles from each other. But that gets tiring. Cuz there is a lot of collectors who lurks and don't report what they find....

11. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    It does matter for me. BBTS is excellent with the PoL. There is no way I could ever ship my PoL to someone for $28 (especially my PoL that should be coming to me this weekend). HTS isn't bad, but I avoid ebay because of some of the shipping prices. Granted, most people on there are probably covering fees or something, but when I look at something for $6 and shipping is about $25+, I start to question whether or not I want it that bad.

12. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Depends. For the most part, no. With POL, I actually find online buying easier and on par with driving costs.

13. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Bingo.

POL and HTS coupon codes help ease the shipping/high price pain. I try to consolidate my brick and mortar toy hunting to one or two trips a week but even thats hard to do with the gas prices rising. I only have a small walmart near me otherwise everything else is 10+ miles away.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I bike to work, past two Targets. The fuck do I care about gas prices? :lol 

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now is the BEST time to buy online as we're feeling the price of hunting in our gas bill but the shipping companies have not rolled the increase in price into their shipping cost yet.

16. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I hear you. My gf works at Target, and comes in before the store opens and can pick things straight out of a case when they arrive. She also gets a 15% discount, on top of coupons that I have for Hasbro toys. So, it's pretty much $5 and below for deluxes after tax.

Lately though, it doesn't even matter, because we've been really behind on new waves, so I've just ordered some of the new ones online to save myself the hassle. "The hunt" can become complete nonsense really easily when it's always in vain.

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    after shipping a pol with a friend up here, with a couple cases in it to split, it worked out to a couple bucks less than retail anyways, so nope, didn't matter

18. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    At this point I'd rather pay a little more online than drive around all week. My area has been very dry as of late and there's not a lot of point of driving about, so I'm willing to pay more with shipping to get the stuff that I want. It's not a big issue for me.

19. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Shipping cost always matters for me because I refuse to pay ridiculous shipping costs - as far as I'm concerned that's extra money that can be used to pay one of my bills.

I work near some stores, so most of the time, I'm not using any extra gas to hunt.

And IMO, ordering online still doesn't beat the fun of finding it in a store. I grew up with the hunt, so I'll aways prefer that method, even with cheap shipping offered online.

That's not to say I won't buy online, but I try to be smart about it when it comes to shipping and I wait a while to see if I can find it in a store first.

20. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    POL prettywell nullified most shipping costs for me when you factor in the time/gas hunting. With HTS, I used the 10% discount code and went in on two Grapples with another local boardie and they came out to $24 with tax and shipping, so the $2-$2.25 extra was worth not having to worry about a figure that hasnt seen any sort of distribution yet.

What really killed me on the hunt was looking for Red Rampage and HA Mudflap last year. I don't even know how much gas I ended up wasting looking for those damn things. Just got sick of putting in the effort. That being said, I will still hit Target when it is convenient (and been quite lucky lately), and will hit the two Walmarts that are on my way home from the gym during stock hours at night (although they havent stocked dick in months).