Customs: Does paint...go bad?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by NGW, Jan 22, 2008.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I found a bunch of Testors enamel paints that used to belong to my sister's ex..and I had been planning on doing some repaints for a while now, so I figured, "Guess I don't need to go buy paints afterall."

However, the paint is a few years old (like 3-4 or more maybe) and I dunno if it has a shelf life of some sort or not.

So yeah, just wondering.

Thanks.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I honestly have no idea. If it's sealed, I bet it's okay. if it's open, I bet it probably settled beyond shakable repair.

3. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

It's been a while since I've used Testors, but if I remember right, they do darken over time. I'm wanting to say I had some that dried up even though they were still sealed, but I can't remember for sure.

4. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Oil or acrylic enamels? Either way, as long as they are sealed, they should be ok. If oil, and a drop or 2 of paint thinner or mineral spirits and mix (not just shake) it up good. If acrylic, do the same with a drop or 2 of water.

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Testors Enamels tend to solidify, over time. You end up with all the color in a big soft solid chunk at the bottom of the bottle, and the clear part of the paint still liquid.

The acrylics will either get thick, or dry up completely. If they're just thick, you can thin them out with water, but don't expect it to last long, after that.

6. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Greyryder is completely correct. Citadel acrylics thicken after 2 years or so, while they dry up as the ammount of time builds up after that.

7. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Yes all paint can go bad. Everything has a "use by" date of some kind, weather it is sealed or not things will go bad over time if not used.

But that said certain paints will last a VERY long time before going bad.

Your testors might be ok, try them out, because i have some Humbrol Enamels from about 5 years back which are still use able. (barely though)

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes...I had some paint do (what Greyryder said) to me once before...and I know it was sealed up tight....

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Grey is dead on. In my exp. paints that were opened, yet closed tightly sometimes go bad after a few weeks (dried up on top, all pigments on the bottom)

however, I've never seen the color change. From what I've seen Enamels are color-fast - meaning they will stay true to their original color for many many many years (provided they are stirred correctly)

but to answer your question, my hobby shop has many 3-4 year old Testor's Enamels which I sometimes buy, and they appear fine.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Looking over them, yeah...they seem to have seperated and the color has solidified. I take it I should just toss them?

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    for $2 a NEW bottle, I would.

however, they are good to keep around for backup. (like if you need a specific green in the lot you speak up for 1 small area)....but try dropping some paint thinner in them (3 drops or so, and shaking them up. and/or pierce through the solid and see what you can scoop up from the liquid under it/

12. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Yep, they are done with.

13. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    They're right. I have bought them from the store that way and they were un-usable. A mess from hell.