Does Optimus Prime PERSONALLY Care For Humans?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Spunky, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Yeah, Optimus really wants to protect humankind. And he seems to really care about individual humans since he ordered his fellow Autobots to protect three human youths. But does he PERSONALLY care for humans? I didn't see Optimus even once in the show offering to give a human a ride home or take on their guardianship for even a little bit. He just seems to shove them off on the other bots. Now he may have his reasons. He is the leader probabely needing time for other issues. He may feel that having humans under his care puts them in more danger than under the care of his other fellow Autobots. His big rig alt mode won't blend in as easily in everyday society as those of Arcee and Bumblebee. (However, Bulkhead's mode isn't something you see everyday parked on the street either.) But one has to wonder if Prime may have another and less altruistic reason for not wanting to take on the guardianship of the humans since his Hub bio describes him as being caring but emotionally distant. I think it would be neat if in a future episode Arcee chastises Prime for shoving humans on everyone else and tells him that if he cares about humans so much, why doesn't he personally guard one himself. Well the show is going to delve into what it really means to be a Prime. Maybe being a Prime means personally caring about others instead of just caring about them from a distance. Maybe he'll really learn this if he ever encounters Elita One and really develops feelings for her.

2. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    One quote: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He refused Fowler's help just so they wouldn't have human deaths.

I'd say he cares alot, he just doesn't show it on an emotional level because like all info about him says, he just has seen way too much war and now it's hard for him to show such emotions.

4. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He refused Fowler's help just so they wouldn't have human deaths.

I'd say he cares alot, he just doesn't show it on an emotional level because like all info about him says, he just has seen way too much war and now it's hard for him to show such emotions.

5. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Well you don't have to care for each individual human, alien, animal whatever to protect them. it's a matter of doing your job.

That being said a little empathy can go a long way to help you do said job.

And as with any military group the leader is not supposed to do grunt work, that's what delegation is all about. Now when it comes to battle.. That's another tune.

6. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I kind of see Prime as like someone who will donate to charity and see to it that the poor are fed. But not directly befriend and feed anyone himself unless nobody else is there to do it for him, and thus, he's forced to. In other words, Optimus cares about others but only from a distance. He may be too afraid to form any emotional attachments and strong personal bonds with anyone because he's just lost too many friends and family he cared about. That could be his interesting and huge character flaw that could provide lots of character development. I'm wondering if he was at least close friends with Elita One in the past and her loss hurt him the most and made him so emotionally distant. See some huge character development there. Prime may seem like the perfect noble knight on the surface. But deep down he's deeply hurt, scarred, and afraid to get too close to anyone. He hides his own fear of closeness and emotional attachment by trying to encourage it in his fellow bots instead. That way he can say, "Yeah I am not afraid of emotional attachments. That's why I'm encouraging it in others."

7. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

It's one thing to want the best for people and not want them to suffer and die. It's another to want to befriend a single human being or any being really. Yeah, people would offer money to someone in need. But let's say that person needed more than money, safety, shelter, and food. Let's say that person needed someone to talk to. Friendship. I think Prime cares about everyone from a distance but is afraid to form any close friendships or attachments to anyone. I'm not trying to say that Prime wouldn't guard a human. He would do so but only if nobody else on his team could. He cares about others, but distantly.

8. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting perspective. I must admit that of all the Primes in various continuities, this one probably screams war-hardened battle soldier the most. Yet, I'm not sure if it's an issue of not caring for them personally, but rather a fear of expression. I mean I'm sure he wishes to express a bond at times, but is often held back by his personality. So while I do think he cares for humans and Cybertronians alike on an individual level, he simply has difficulty expressing it.

It will make an interesting character arc, and also might just be the key feature that makes this Prime stand out.

9. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

This is a very interesting question, Spunky. I seriously hope that TFPrime does in this direction for Optimus. It seems like a natural extension of his compassionate nature; he cares so much about people, but after seeing the deaths and suffering of so many of his loved ones, you can't blame him for shutting off on a personal level. It adds an interesting quirk to his character.

This also has the potential for conflict, as his desire to help other people conflicts with his fear of getting close to them and losing them. He's managed to find a middle ground so far by being emotionally remote as he's helping, but that can't last.

10. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, of course he does, but Optimus is an island, somewhat aloof and he has to be.. as leader he must make decisions that will affect not only Autobot lives but human ones as well.
    Too many attachments and emotions would/could cripple his ability to make strategic decisions that would affect the outcome of a battle with the Cons, especially those involving humans captured or unwittingly involved. Optimus would always do his utmost to protect the innocent, it's his strength but also his weakness..one that Megatron and the Cons use to their advantage as often as possible.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  11. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just have to say that I agree completely

12. D_usk

D_usk Stealer of Racks of Lamb!

He does care for humans. Hell, he's a very caring guy (I think it was evidenced in TFPrime somewhere that he cared for humans). I think it's just that Optimus doesn't express it much, because, the war may have crippled him emotionally. That, and maybe the reason he has the other Autobots take care of the kids is because he has other duties to attend to. After all, he is the leader of the Autobots. You'd think he'd have a lot of work to do. But, I have been wrong before (after all, the war has been "over" for about two or three years).

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, his profile also says that "he's not exactly cuddly, but he cares". This could mean that he does care, but since he's something of a "tough guy" sort of character, he doesn't really show actual affection.

EDIT 2:

On the show's site, it says that Prime has a "special bond" with Arcee. I'm not sure what this means exactly, but it may be that they're really close friends and that might turn into something more. Might. Not confirming anything.

EDIT 3: If there's anyone I'd list as the "cares from a distance but starts to actually care" person would be Arcee. But that's my opinion.

13. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    The so-far suggested ideas for Prime's character arc, I really want to see happen. I don't remember (if memory serves right) a Prime ever having an emotional, despairing, and almost tearful breakdown like this Prime could have. He could indeed be hurt and scared on the inside, because of a loss that affected him dearly. Hell, he could be compared to Carl Fredericksen from Up. How many times in our lives are we going to see Peter Cullen act out a furious, tearful Optimus? I certainly hope down the line, in face of a major failure on his part - similar to BM Primal destroying Cybertron - he doesn't take it well at all. He'd be furious with himself for growing attached when he'd sworn not to show attachment, and the group would be at a loss without him.

Of course Prime does care for the humans, but he's just afraid to show it.

The special bond idea... no idea, but right now I doubt Prime and Arcee starting a relationship. If anyone, probably Bumblebee will end up with Arcee.

14. sanbot

sanbot Member

He's the leader so he has to take care of the "big picture" side of things. The day to day operations and tactical goings on are delegated.

So in effect he cares for humans but cares for them as a human race as a whole and he would have a personal interest in their survival otherwise he would not have the motivation to do so. I mean its not like there is something that is holding him accountable for his "job", he could do whatever he wants if he likes.

15. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

lol The most I got from this is Spunky thinks Optimus is a jerk because he gave orders to his soldiers, rather then doing it himself.

Yes, Optimus cares about the humans. Heck, he almost seems to be the only one who really does right off the bat. Maybe Bee, too. Bee's a tad hard to read, but he always comes off as the friend to everyone type. But Arcee and Bulkhead seemed reluctant to have to watch over humanity, Bulkhead especially didn't like Fowler. and Ratchet all but hates the humans.

I think the ones you'll see grow as characters are the others like Ratchet. We've already pretty much seen it between Arcee and Jack.

16. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I don't think Optimus is a jerk. I think he is simply emotionally distant. He may have very good reasons for not wanting to take on the guardianship of another human. But he could also have reasons that are less altruistic and stem from a fear of becoming too emotionally attached to anyone. He may fear emotional attachment because he's lost too many he cared about.

17. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

:lol  I think you are reading waaaay too much into it. He's already shown he has a attachment just for the fact that he even gives a damn about what happens to humanity at all. He had the kids brought to their secret base because he feared for their safety. He argued with Fowler about getting the government involved in fear of the potential loss of human life. And you think he's emotionally distant because he hasn't set up a play date with one of the kids? The guys leading a secret war to keep the enemies that ruined his home world from doing the same to earth and it's people. The guy's got priorities.

18. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

Yes he does, otherwise Megatron would have been killed plenty of times.

19. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Seeing as he's been fighting in a war for thousands of years, if anything, I'm more curious as to why some of the others are so aloof and friendly after thousands of years of personal loss and carnage. Bumblebee especially. What's he repressing, or did he just 'snap' a long time ago?

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Prime seems like a character that has lost so much over the endless years of war that he don't want to get too close or too attached to anyone even his fellow Autobots.

It's not a case of his doesn't care because he seems like he'd give his own spark if it would save everyone and he doesn't want to get the human involved because he'd rather shoulder the burden himself than see human lives lost fighting the Decepticons.

Sure he might not be getting cats out of trees or helping little old ladies across the street but he'd jump between a human and Megatron without thinking if it meant saving just one more life.