Does modern chrome and paint on metal chip?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Sep 18, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My last (and actually, only) Transformer with metal is Masterpiece Optimus, and I've noticed quite a bit of chipping on the paint. Separately, I've seen many examples of the chrome paint on the Transmetal figures of old chip and wear off easily.

Since many Japanese figures continue to use either chrome, paint on metal, or both, how do modern ones stack up? For example, how is the chrome and paint on Masterpiece Grimlock?

I really hope I made sense...I'm trying to come up with a coherent explanation for my question. Thanks.

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Yes. Even modern produced toys made of metal will sport paint chips. Heck, modern cars sport paint chips. As someone said to a guy who bought a brand new car - "Enjoy it pal, it will never look this good again.".

3. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Darn that is highly depressing, even more when your figure costs three figures like Masterpiece figures do...

That's why I usually prefer plastic figures which at least don't make you feel so bummed due to their cheap prices.

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Either keep the figures MISB or on display, not touching them at all (they should be fine, unless there was some mistake in manufacturing process and the chrome and paint start to paint chip or flake on their own) or change your perspective.

IRL, everything starts to show wear after use, very quickly in fact. Take jets for example. They will sport scorch marks and scuffs after the first flight.

I personaly don't mind paint chips on edges of the figures, it gives them some patina and makes the personal in my eyes, because you will not find two same figures with same paint chips.

5. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    That's a good way to look at it. I've been trying to get myself to think that way, but every once in a while, a nice figure like Masterpiece Grimlock and Rodimus comes along, and when deciding whether to take the plunge, these factors start bothering me. But I guess you're right, I am gradually readjusting myself.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Good care will minimise the wear of course, but over time, things age and get worn. At the very least we can hope that we don't get any more Transmetal chrome that flakes off of its own accord, Scourge the locust was terrible for that.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Yep. I hear the Alterenity figures are so notoriously bad about this that the instructions give you tips on how to transform the figures without causing paint damage.

8. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Even if you take real good care of them they may discolour. The sad truth of toy collecting :( .