Does it stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by rabbid1, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Just human nature. We all enjoy Transformers in one form or another and it's sort of the dream of all fans of anything to one day have something as big as Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

Doesn't mean you can't enjoy something like the live action film just because it didn't reach Star Wars status, but the dream is always there saying one day we will be bigger than big.

2. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

The simple fact is that no matter how big or epic anyone makes a Transformers movie, there will still be a faction here that will whine and complain and not be satisfied, no matter what.

3. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    It abseloutely does, bare to the bone.

And even I knew this when it first started.

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Again, totally correct. That doesn't mean its a bad idea or that they shouldn't try. The concept of robots twatting each other with sticks or guns is hardly the silliest ever put to paper for christ sake.

5. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Shouldn't Try to what? Convert people to hating the movie? Start Boycotts and petitions to have the movie changed in such a way to please them personally? To convince everyone on the Internet they are a close-minded loudmouth that has no sense of reason? To insult all those who like aspects of the movie by calling them PLEBS, sheep or brain-damaged idiots while their taste in movies are elegant and refined?

I just don't know what that unpleasble segment which will complain no matter what are 'trying to do' when they spend 2+ years tearing down a movie before it even hits the screen and then spend the first month of the movie saying how horrible it is when they haven't even seen it.

This is not directed at you personally, I am just curious what they are trying to accomplish or are they like those kids who have fun whacking a hornets nest and hating something that hard publicly so others can see it, is its own reward.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The point I'm trying to make, and obviously failing at, is that despite Transformers starting out as a vehicle to sell excess toys, it evolved. Lets not kid ourselves, any venture that anyone sets out to do is ultimately to make money or create fame.

So while at first glance, Bay dismissed it as a stupid toy movie, Hasbro changed his mind. They convinced him it could be more than a stupid toy movie.

So in the end why did we get a movie, that while enjoyable to the masses, only seemed like a movie to showcase special effects, Megan Fox's midrif and big boys toys as well as little boys toys? That is what puzzels me a bit.

In the end though, I still saw the damn thing 8 times in the cinema, although I usually ducked out to the toilets and food courts during the middle because it just drags. 700 million is a figure of immense success financially. So I won't argue that Transformers was an unsuccessful film, but I still say its not as good as it could have been.

And by the way, I'm not out to convert anyone, I'm not a fucking priest or an imam, I just want to add my voice to the debate.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I think he was saying that it doesn't mean that the movie makers shouldn't try.

8. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

actually terminator 2 and aliens did redefine cinema and are amongst the best sci fi films ever made, those are two films that stand the test of time. transformers could have been that level, but sadly because bay just wants to make a popcorn action movie we'll most likely never see something epic. to me, starship troopers is better than transformers, atleast starship has a good script, atleast I think so. but transformers will not stand the test of time, not like star wars, 2001 space odessy, aliens, terminator 2, the day the earth stood still, jurassic park. those films have something transformers does not, really good scripts.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

But you have to throw in the fact that different fans require different things so it's not exactly an easy thing to come up something that can cover all fans. Like I'm a character person, someone else might be an action person, one fan might want camp another fan might want things dead serious. Doesn't make one fan better than another or one fan right and one fan wrong, just different taste.

Sure sometimes it's a whine and some times it seems like complaining to complain but since hardly anyone enjoy every single Transformers series ever made haven't we all had a point of being a bit sore our needs weren't covered?

Ha ha, even with all his work to please fans there were still a few Lord of the Rings fans not happy with Peter Jackson so it's not just Transformers fans who will complain when they feel like they were some how cheated out of something.

10. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

yes it will stand because if there are people like me (im sure there are) who knew nothing of transformers until the movie, then we will look back and remember tf the movie as our first tf experience. for that reason it is special (even if it is to a select group)

i saw it twice in theatres and it turned me into collector of all tf continuities (at the time i had never even owned a transformer). when the dvd came out, i watch it at least once a month. unlike many people here, i love both the movie and everything the older fans had (the 86 movie is also one of my favorites) now i'm 47 episodes into armada and i can't wait to delve into the beast era and the rest of the unicron trilogy.

tf the movie will always have a special place in my heart because its my first tf experience

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    THIS.

Like anything, the first time you see something that is in some way special to you, its still amazing. When I saw Optimus fully unfold and go from truck to robot......the rest of the cinema may as well have been empty. As far as I was concerned, Optimus Prime was here and he was speaking to me.

I have many things about the movie that I disliked, but outside of Prime's finest G1 hour in the movie, where he kicked arse and took names for the first time for real, no singular experiance (other than one other) will ever replace the time, flames or no flames, I saw Optimus Prime become real.

Perhaps that is the movie's greatest victory. Even if some fans thought it blew chunks, I like to think for one moment, the greatest hero of my life was real......

I Love Transformers.

TILL ALL ARE ONE.

12. luca_frontino

luca_frontino Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY.
    Every single joke, makes a movie campy.

13. Abdul Fakkadi

Abdul Fakkadi Member

A post where I feel I can actually add something to the discussion...

It depends on the definition of "standing the test of time." It will never be spoken of as a 'landmark film.' It's nowhere near and will never be considered to be on the level of the original Star Wars because of the lack of character development, uneven script, etc... You can make all the $$$ you want, but that doesn't make a film a classic. Citizen Kane was considered a bomb when it first came out, and is now usually named as the greatest film of all time (yeah, I know some people will just call it overrated, but no one can doubt the fact that it is considered that universally). The acting in TF07 was competent, but not spectacular. It ain't De Niro in Raging Bull.

The biggest problem with the movie is that there wasn't a whole lot of charm or heart to it. My opinion is that on it's own, the TF movie, at best, might be comparable to the Lion the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It was an entertaining flick, but will not be considered on the same level with Lord of the Rings.

If the 2nd movie is a lot tighter and Optimus Prime is written well enough to do Peter Cullen's vocal chords justice, then people will remember the 1st movie in a fonder light than they would if it were a one off thing.

At the same time, the movie will always have a soft spot for me because of Peter Cullen. That voice is irreplacable.

14. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What he said. I love both movies the same. I mean ppl who do not know anything about transformers will not understand the 86 movie at all but i still love to watch it. With the 07 movie when i heard optimus first speak it gave me goosebumps and brought me back to my childhood. It was a fun movie and i think the trilogy will stand the test of time not just the first movie.

15. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

lol good posts though.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I dunno about it being an actual zombie thread - if you think about it this one gets more relevant with age. :) 

17. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i say yes it will

18. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    86 movie..2008 I still watch it, and love it. My Kids Love it, and when there friends come over they watch it and love it. So YES it has already passed the test of time.

To be totally honest..I'm a big Transformer fan...When I seen the 07 movie at Botcon I loved it..BUt I dont own the movie. I haven't even watched it fully again.
    My kids only want to see the Robots and can't really sit still through it fully.

So I guess I liked the 86 movie much better and it will always be somewhere in my house.

After I get pass the great effects in the 07 movie there isnt much more for me in it.
    It dons't take me anywhere other then WOW that was cool.

BUt I know I enjoyed the Movie at botcon and will see the ROTF for sure.

19. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Well I honestly didn't like the 86 movie because the cartoon cell animation and etc..were just to low grade for its time period. I mean the transformers fan base is going to grow back again...but I think the fanbase is going to start baseing itself around the the 2007 movie characters styles...Unfourtanetly I feel the Armada,Energon,Animated, will all soon be forgot by time.

I'm 100% sure this is the FIRST movie of its kind to actually use 2 story man made models to group the CGI around. Especially without any human/puppetry needed. And possibley the most explosion oriented movie of its kind. When you look at just how many hours went into the making of those CGI transformers, it is beyond believe. I myself have only been able to make a 11 polygon figure....so Imagine doing polygon figures based on 2000 or even 3000 pieces per frame? It is the greatest feat in CG imageing ever to be reached since starwars made its debut making models look like planet-sized war machines

But mostley I think TFTM 07 will become the catalyist for the new age of filming.

And of course it will bring even more super hero movies......