Does it stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by rabbid1, Jul 4, 2008.

1. rabbid1

rabbid1 Well-Known Member

I keep seeing this statement in relation to TF 2007. Many folk don't believe that it will.

So, what would make it stand the test of time?

Or will it? Why?

Does TFTM stand the test of time? Why or why not?

I personally think that it does, mainly because it's hand drawn cel animated nature allows it to. It's set in an unrealistic sci-fi setting that never ground itself into any reality, forcing any particular dating methods upon it- like new cars, haircuts or clothing styles.

Discuss (but do it nicely).

2. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i think that the original 86 movie is more a cult classic. it's not the kind of classic movie that everyone has seen and loves. i think that movies that stand the test of time are ones that anyone of any generation can pop it in and love it, whether they have seen it or not. to be honest...i saw the original TF movie when i was four or five, and completely forgot about it until about three or fours years ago (i know i'm awful). i put it in and HATED it. i mean, i do love it because i'm a TF fan, but it is just such an awful movie that i don't think it can be classified as one of those "classics" that "stands the tests of time".

i think the new one will. straight up.

3. rabbid1

rabbid1 Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

So WHY will the new one stand the test of time? How long before it doesn't?

4. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    The new one is IMO the best and most exciting I've ever seen, but I think it certainly won't stand the test of time. My best hope is that the movie franchise will grow with me, becoming more seriousand adapting other subjects.

5. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think if it's a trilogy, it might. Either way, I'll still be watching it when I'm 80.

6. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    I think It will last the same way the first animated movie has. As a cult classic or whatever you'd like to classify it as. My parents didn't take me to see the first one (bastards) but I caught it on video and have been watching and loving it since. I actually just finished watching all 4 seasons of the show (again lol) and really still love it. I wish Michael Bay would use the "LION" Transformers theme for the end credits in TF2. That would ROCK! As well as be a nice throw back for us. Something I really appreciate more as adult is the level of animation the 86' movie delivered. For the time that was unbelievable. I still think it looks sick. These movies will last the test of time as long as there fans like all of us. Whom these robotic, transforming characters touched our hearts and imagination in such a way that 20 odd years later we're still collecting, watching and celebrating.

PS- Is someone using something I said in their SIG? I don't remember sending expressed, written consent or any kind of Authorization permitting such actions. Agents have been mobilized.

7. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

If anything, TFTM will go down in history as the first epic live action mecha/giant transforming robot movie ever made - done right. (which doesn't look like they were puppets or stop motion models).

8. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The original movie was kind of obscure in the 80s. It bombed at the box office and was critically panned, and subsequently the main group that saw it were the kids and their parents of that era. Its not particularly well known now and is usually sought out as a 'cult classic' (read: It didn't do well in theatres, so nerds love it).

Personally, my major problem with it is the soundtrack makes it very obviously an 80s film, and not even a 'classic' 80s film with popular songs of the period. Most of the bands in there are frankly, long forgotten.

By comparison, I loved Steve Jablonsky's score for Bay's Transformers. Its not particularly memorable or original (given he comes from Hans Zimmerman's group), but it seemed to be well recieved score by the masses and wasn't seemed to be critic-criticised as heavily as the other Zimmerman-sounding scores of recent times. Classical (even modified with electronics) is timeless.

I agree with turnpike that TF may be remembered as the first big robot movie done right. We've seen some pretty (by western standards) low budget attempts from Japan, but never at TF's scale. And TF pretty much defied the expectations of Hollywood by doing very well, and created a scramble for giant robot properties.

9. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT :thumb  & also b'coz of the ground-breaking nature of it's special effects that raise the bar, it'll always be referenced to in the future from time to time.

10. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i think youre on to something here.

11. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

I actually don't agree that the live action TF movie will stand the test of time. Sure, the visual effects are astounding but as technology gets better and better, rendering such sophisticated models would take much lesser hence more can be done.

The script is the biggest let down. To me, no words can describe how disappointing it is. It's not absolute crap thankfully, but it's still poor and it won't survive time well. People will remember it as the movie that was saved by it's visuals and sounds, and that it's script was poor. Even though I still get my adrenaline pumping when I talk about the movie and it's future sequels with my friends, I feel that emptiness when the script is mentioned. I don't even enjoy the movie that much anymore when I watch it on DVD.

12. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

The new film series, as much as I enjoy it, will NOT stand the test of time. These films will age horribly because they are mainly commercials for new cars that aren't out yet. Once the '08 Camaro and company are "old news," watching the Bay movies will be like watching old car commercials from the 1980s...

Everybody remembers the Ford Pinto right? That car was new too, once upon a time...

13. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

there's no doubt in my mind that it will stand the test of time. as an absolute debacle and piece of crap.

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Wouldn't a debarcle mean it was unsuccessful and was a disaster?

15. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    I think TRANSFORMERS will stand the test of time, if only among the fanbase that actually enjoyed it. I mean, it wasn't a box-office bomb, and the storyline honestly was pretty close to anything in relations to a TF Series (CGI or General-Animation wise), so I cannot complain about it (never thought it was horrible anyway). The acting was decent/great, the CGI was amazingly realistic, detailed to the last explosion and Nut'n'Bolt. So, yes, I think it will stand the test of time.

16. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Years from now, people will look at the Transformers movie and say "Wow, look at all those cars from that American auotmaker that went belly up"...

17. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    QFT

18. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    I think it's going to carve a nitch the same way Jurassic Park did. It's a good, enjoyable movie made especially noteable by the effects. It won't be legendary like Star Wars, but people will remember it as a good flick that began a new era.

And to the people who call it debacle - get the hell over yourselves. It was a movie that most people enjoyed, and it was the third highest grossing film of the year (and of the five highest grossers, the most fondly remembered among the masses). If you didn't like it, good for you. But stop pretending it tanked. Because it didn't.

19. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

so if a movie makes a load of jack that automatically means it was good? pretty weak argument there.

20. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Well first of all, Ive never heard anyone nor the media ask if the movie would stand the test of time. For the most part, main stream media has ignored the TF movie since it debuted all though it was a summer blockbuster(i.e., the Oscars, radio stations here in town). What I have heard is if the TF movie stood to be as memorable as the starwars or star trek franchise. I think as a franchise, it has already shown that yes it can stand the test of time.