does it really matter if a used system is a trade-in or refurbished?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, Dec 21, 2006.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'm getting ready to buy an original xbox, basically to play my bud in online halo. since individual new ones aren't available, I'm gonna be getting a used one from eb games. I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice about this, since I'm kind of sketched out since I've seen tons of laser drives for sale on ebay. is there anything I need to be worried about? should I bother with the extended warranty for $20? I was definitely planning on getting it. I was also thinking about asking them if I could look at the manufacture dates on a couple and getting the newest one. waste of time or good idea? thanks for any input.

2. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeh try and get the latest console also try asking around your local area to see which shop to buy them from, in the UK. GAME the company who took over EB are known to be very.............. lets just say poo and i have known people taking broken consoles there and getting them accepted, so ask around and find a reputable place

thanks

3. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Avoid trade-ins like the plague. A refurbished console has been back to the manufacturer, they've tested all the components, replaced ones that are failing or worn down, and put a brand-new case on it. A used console probably has a couple parts that are a week away from breaking, and if the house it came from had cockroaches, there WILL BE cockroaches in the console. Refurbished ones are cleaned out.

4. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

I'd get a refurbished one for sure. Also, the warranty would definatley be a good idea on this, especially since it doesn't have one.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'd steer clear of both to be honest.

A friend had a dodgey PS2, and he sent it off to Sony to fix/replace. They said they could send him a refurbished PS2, under warrenty, but it too kept breaking down on him, all the time.

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

is there ANY place I could get a new xbox from that isn't that overpriced forza bundle?

7. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    I think your best bet would be the refurb with the warranty. Like everyone's said its been to the factory and made into nearly new condition so it's as close to new as you can get. Plus if you get the warranty if there's any problems you can just go swap it out. Though honestly if you get a newer system there really shouldn't be any problems, for only $20 it's not a bad idea to get the warranty.

8. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

Yeah, used is an unknown as far as how much time is left on it. But good luck finding a new or refurbed one.

Your best bet is to get a used one at EB with the warrenty. Which means you are covered from pretty much everything.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

oh, they've got tons of refurbed ones at the local gamestop.

10. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Microsoft put the kibosh on the original Xbox, so what new ones you find, are the only ones you'll ever see.

If you want to play Halo, why don't you and your friend just buy the superior PC version for $20

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

cuz I always wanted to play panzer dragoon orta and a few others.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Used system: you don't know if it's good or broken.
    Refurbished system: you know it was broken, but you don't know if the factory did a proper job of fixing it.

I've very rarely had a problem with either one, but do make damn sure that there's a warranty or a good return policy, and test the system right away.

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd buy a 360 instead of wasting your money on a 5 year old system. Sure it may cost a little more, but it will play Halo (and hundreds of other original Xbox games), it will be new and the 360 has some truly stellar games.

14. flamepanther

But it won't play Panzer Dragoon Orta or Steel Battalion, among other important Xbox titles.

15. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Why do people always think the only reason to get an Xbox is Halo? It's not.

It's the same reason I get a funny look every time I tell somebody I've never played GTA on the PSP.

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I've actually gotten a collection of games for the xbox, because either I wanted to play them, or they were just too cheap to pass up. part of the reason is also that I wanted the graphically better version of certain console games, since I don't do the computer gaming thing. here's what I've picked up:

halo
    halo 2
    tomb raider legend
    ninja gaiden black
    shenmue 2 (sold my dreamcast version of this for 60, bought this for 7)
    panzer dragoon orta
    gta3
    gta vice city
    splinter cell pandora
    kotr
    and I'm thinking about getting splinter cell chaos theory and nascar 07

so THAT'S why I'm getting an xbox. I really have no interest in any of the newer games for the newest round of systems.

17. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Umm...he said in his original post that he wanted an Xbox to play Halo.

18. flamepanther

Good choices. If you're into the survival horror thing, pick up the Xbox versions of Silent Hill 2-4 :) 

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, I've been thinking about it. I pride myself in making sure I play the top-shelf titles, and I'm not afraid of games that punish you, and require a bit of that old-school play-till-your-eyes-bleed trial and error.

20. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

And the funny thing is, Halo's not even that great a game. As far as FPS's go, there are tons better out there. I gave Halo a shot, and I never understood the appeal.