Does it pay to not read the novel before seeing the movie?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lazerwave, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I didn't know where to place this, I was both book and movie. This is actually something if you are a couples fan. I'm not going to tell you which cartoon that is for personal reasons. I don't even think there are people here who watch this show.

I use to be one of those people who read the books or Graphic Novels before seeing the movie itself. See there was this movie that is suppose to premiere this week, Not in Theatres, but tv. I've been watching commercials and trailers about it. Then one day I saw this one trailer that this girl who have loved this boy for a long time in the tv series, now in the trailer it is rumored that the girl will now fall in love with his brother. That even gave some panic to other fans who what this show.

I wanted to know what happened, and it was at least 2 months befiore the movie. I wanted to read the novel but what if the rumor was true, this would ruin 4-5 years of hopes. So I decided to restrain myseolf from reading bok, even when I was near a book store I think "might as well read the book of the movie." Then I think, then scream (in my mind) and run away.

Finally, this week is the movie premiere. At first it's on demand right now. So I wait until someone actually posts it on youtube, but nothing, even wiki where they are mentioning the spoilers and nothing was mentioned. But early today I woke up after a nap and read wiki again.

Suddenly I saw a picture that answered it all. Quiclkly I searched all over the internet, then Youtube. Someone did see it on demand. And the big spoiler part,
    She did not switch boys. Infact, the couple finally kiss!!!
    Finally, now I can stop worrying and relax.

I guess it really pays to wait until the actual movie before reading the novel.

2. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Depending on what it is I'll read the novel before hand...I have no clue as to what series your referencing though.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

In terms of comic books, then yes. Movies adapted novels then not to change too much, and sometimes the changes are for the better.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Atleast read the last few chapters, the Chicago parts. Better than the movie IMO

5. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    It's based on a disney cartoon. And it's a Movie novel, the second one you mentioned.

I'm not saying if any of you watch this show, because it would kinda be embarracing if I told you if no one here watches it. Although there are some adults who watch it, But I don't think Transformer fans do. If you want to know it is a tv show that was mentioned at SDCC.

I'll only say what it is if one of you mentions the title of the show.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    cryptic, "deep throat" riddles...just mention it.

i read the Reader's Digest version and then the full novel of Jaws before seeing the movie and i was let down by the lack of key plot elements in the film.

reading a book before a film mostly does that to me. the only notable exception is a film most 30+ year olds here know instantly and stars a guy that was popular a while back...
    screw that.

I read the novel "First Blood" and it was quite inferior to the movie in almost every way, save for a more realistic ending.

I also tend to discount novelizations for films- like DotM because i tend to think the film is the origin of the idea.

7. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Alright, I'll take 'Cryptic Posts About Disney Shows He's Embarassed to Watch' for 500, Alex.

Uhhh...What is 'Phineas and Ferb', Alex?

8. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    That is Right!

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I love being spoiled. I almost always end up reading novelizations and tie-in material before watching the actual film (I fondly recall the time when I was the first kid on my block to read the novel for The Dark Knight, and hordes of like-minded friends mobbed me for plot details). Plus, it's an interesting exercise to contrast how the novel 'looked in my head' with how the movie actually looked on-screen.

10. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    I like spoilers myself but I hate reading the books before the movie due to the book sometimes being better then the movie. I really hate when the ending of the book is one thing and then you watch the movie and are like WTF that not how it ended.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I remember buying all the Lord of the Rings books when the Fellowship of the Ring came out in cinemas and intending to read them all after I'd watched Return of the King. As of today I've not even cracked a single one of those books open. For me it would appear seeing the movie first takes away the want to read the books after. I think the only exception was with K-PAX as the film dropped an entire main character and I was curious what that was all about and there were also two more books for the series which were never made into films.